• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JayUp88

Lids on the radio

Rate this topic

For anyone from the Detroit area they know that Drew and Mike are the big morning show around here. Well this morning they had Libs on it. It was pretty cool they talked about the up coming softball game. He said that Mults is their big hitter for the team. i could see that. He also talked about Cheli and how he is the one who's in charge of the music in the locker room. theres a lot of Kid Rock being played he said. Drew was asking him about how it felt to be basically be the number one D man in the league and such a good leader but to have to wait 16 years into his career to become captain. it wasn't that long of an interview but it still was a pretty cool one.

If anyone can get a transcript of this or a run down of his answers a guy like myself who lives in NH would love to read what was said. Do they ever do podcasts or webcasts of that show? Maybe I could listen to it at work, just don't tell my boss.

Edited by Opie

If anyone can get a transcript of this or a run down of his answers a guy like myself who lives in NH would love to read what was said. Do they ever do podcasts or webcasts of that show? Maybe I could listen to it at work, just don't tell my boss.

They do a live webcast but other then that i don't' think so

Guest Yzer19

Drew was asking him about how it felt to be basically be the number one D man in the league and such a good leader but to have to wait 16 years into his career to become captain. it wasn't that long of an interview but it still was a pretty cool one.

What kind of a dumb question is that? Earth to Drew, we had Yzerman as The Captain. Lidstrom was very lucky that he was able to wait to become captain. He got to watch and learn from Yzerman. The team had already won 3 cups so Lidstrom didn't have to deal with the failures like Yzerman and normal captains have to deal with. He'll never be considered a bad leader and he'll never have to deal with any criticism because the team already won.

Edited by Yzer19

What kind of a dumb question is that? Earth to Drew, we had Yzerman as The Captain. Lidstrom was very lucky that he was able to wait to become captain. He got to watch and learn from Yzerman. The team had already won 3 cups so Lidstrom didn't have to deal with the failures like Yzerman and normal captains have to deal with. He'll never be considered a bad leader and he'll never have to deal with any criticism because the team already won.

He wasn't saying it in a bad way he was more implying how was it to take over as captain

Normally you would say you never want to be the guy to follow a legend, you want to be the guy who followed the guy who followed the legend.

For example in the D, Babcock followed Lewis who followed the legend.

I think Lids was the interim so that Zetterberg didn't have the pressure of following Yzerman. However the difference in this situation is that Lids was already a legend in Detroit when he got the 'C'. And much like his predecessor he leads by example and doesn't do a lot of yapping. He goes out plays his best and expects the same from his teammates.

But Yzer19 raises and interesting point. Lids doesn't have to deal with as much crap as most Captains. He is on a winning team that has been winning for years. Last year and this year are considered "Rebuilding years" in Detroit, and to paraphrase Rodney Pete from Best damn when talking about USC, Detroit doesn't rebuild they reload. So my point Lids has it easier than most captains yes, but it is still not an enviable position to be in.

The way the man carries himself on and off the ice make a huge difference but having the org, he has in front of him and having Stevie still around help him, just like having Bowman around helps Babcock. Yzerman and Bowman are not doing their jobs for them, but helping them and advising them.

He is still a very good captain, but it is definitely an easier path than the one Yzerman had to take.

Edited by Opie

Guest Yzer19

He wasn't saying it in a bad way he was more implying how was it to take over as captain

If that's the case then why didn't Drew just say what was it like to take over as captain last year? The way Drew asked it, it was like he was implying that Lidstrom should've been captain of the team 16 years ago.

If that's the case then why didn't Drew just say what was it like to take over as captain last year? The way Drew asked it, it was like he was implying that Lidstrom should've been captain of the team 16 years ago.

Probably because Nick SHOULD have been captain 16 years ago.

Guest Yzer19

So the Wings should've gave Lidstrom the captaincy 16 years ago? What about Yzerman?

Yeah, Nick should have been the captain as a rookie, over an established leader like Yzerman, who had been captain for five seasons already at that point. Or over guys like Gallant, Probert, Chiasson, McCrimmon, Burr? It wasn't until the mid 90s when Nick even got an A, and that's a result of older vets leaving and him coming into his own.

So the Wings should've gave Lidstrom the captaincy 16 years ago? What about Yzerman?

Traded to Ottawa for future considerations. Might have been able to land the pick that ended up as Alexandre Daigle!!!

Yeah, Nick should have been the captain as a rookie, over an established leader like Yzerman, who had been captain for five seasons already at that point. Or over guys like Gallant, Probert, Chiasson, McCrimmon, Burr? It wasn't until the mid 90s when Nick even got an A, and that's a result of older vets leaving and him coming into his own.

Nick got the A during Fedorov's holdout.

And I don't see what you're complaining about. Sid got the A part way through his rookie year and you believe Nick is better than Sid. Ergo, Nick should have gotten the C his rookie year.

Traded to Ottawa for future considerations. Might have been able to land the pick that ended up as Alexandre Daigle!!!

And I don't see what you're complaining about. Sid got the A part way through his rookie year and you believe Nick is better than Sid. Ergo, Nick should have gotten the C his rookie year.

The difference being: The Pens were largely rookies and journeymen, aside from the handful of guys with real experience who didn't retire midseason, being Recchi, Gonchar, and Leclair. Gonchar has never been a leader type, and Recchi and Leclair were both veterans nearing the end of their careers. Crosby is the cornerstone of the franchise, and due the the overall inexperience on the roster, he was one of the guys the team looked to. Lidstrom wasn't in that capacity in his first few years because the Wings had more veterans like those I mentioned.

NN, I've always respected your opinion, but do you honestly believe Yzerman should've been stripped of his Captaincy the year Lids entered the league? Not that this makes any difference seeing as that the Wings Management staff has been able to find diamonds in the rough, but Yzerman was drafted 4th overall compared to Lids' 53rd. So aside from the player and leader Lids has become over the course of his career, what evidence would give you your reasoning for the initial season Lids played in Detroit?

Guest Yzer19

So you would've wanted the Wings to trade Yzerman for Daigle just so Lidstrom could've had the captaincy in his rookie year? Why?

So you would've wanted the Wings to trade Yzerman for Daigle just so Lidstrom could've had the captaincy in his rookie year? Why?

Not just so Nick could have the C. But so Stevie could play for the team of his dreams (Napean kid and all). Not to mention that Daigle was a superstar.

This is rapidly becoming a really dumb argument. You guys are both better than this.

That it is. I am. I'm having doubts about some people, and am certain about others.

Not just so Nick could have the C. But so Stevie could play for the team of his dreams (Napean kid and all). Not to mention that Daigle was a superstar.

That it is. I am. I'm having doubts about some people, and am certain about others.

:lol:

I just figured your 5 year-old cousin got a hold of LGW while you were still signed on.

This is rapidly becoming a really dumb argument. You guys are both better than this.

I agree i started this just to let everyone know about lids on the radio not start a fight about if he should have been captain years ago...... :rolleyes:

Guest Yzer19

I agree i started this just to let everyone know about lids on the radio not start a fight about if he should have been captain years ago...... :rolleyes:

Sorry about that. I just thought the one question was inappropriate. Anyways I appreciate the heads up about the interview.

This is really a silly conversation. I think that the point was that if Nick was on any other team, he would have been captain sooner.

Duh!

This is really a silly conversation. I think that the point was that if Nick was on any other team, he would have been captain sooner.

Duh!

It's not silly...I was trying to talk NN out of building a time machine and going back and trading Stevie for Daigle!! That's serious!!

Kopecky for captain!

I can't believe they went with Lids, and everyone thinks Z will be next. Ha. The Drake - Kopecky - Whoever line will be the best line in the NHL this year and Kopecky by himself will crush all of Gretzky's records in one year.

Guest Yzer19

Duh!

No, that wasn't what was implied. Lidstrom may have gotten the captaincy sooner on another team, but he certainly wouldn't have gotten it 16 years ago.

Edited by Yzer19