• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

Sopel and another veteran d-man coming to camp

Rate this topic

Who could the "other" veteran defenceman be. Whos left?

I think I would rather see the young guys develop than see Sopel here, unless he signed a two way, but I don't think he can, right he is too old?

My impression was anyone could sign a two way. His age would affect his waiver status. So if he were to ever called up or down he would be subject to waivers.

Edited by Son of a Wing

You guys who say Sopel will sign a two way deal are crazy.

He's 30 years old. And he's still debateably a top four D-man. But for sure he's a top 6 guy. Better than Lebda, that's for sure.

I'm not agreeing with him just explaining what I thought the rules were.

Sopel wouldn't be a bad pickup at all. He played 20+ per night for the Kings and still managed to be a plus, which is no small feat on that team (most of their D were -10 or more).

28 points in 64 games isn't too shabby either. Kronwall only had 22 in 68 games, roughly the same ice time, a worse +/- on a better team, and we're paying him $3 million a year. :rolleyes:

I actually really like this addition. We're not big on veteran depth for when Kronwall inevitably gets injured. And apparently he's got a good shot from the point, which we lost in the Schneider/Rafalski exchange.

If nothing else, he fetched a 2nd and a 4th at the trade deadline last year. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't hooked on somewhere. You'd think a crap team would be looking to bring him in if for nothing else than to get something for him at the deadline....

we really don't need defense...

we've got probably the deepest defense in the league, considering the strength of our prospects..

1yr deal max...

if we sign another D-man, we'll lose Meech to waivers

we really don't need defense...

we've got probably the deepest defense in the league, considering the strength of our prospects..

1yr deal max...

if we sign another D-man, we'll lose Meech to waivers

Maybe he's the guy that can finally push Lilja into the ranks of "healthy scratch". For most of this decade he's been a solid 25-40 point guy.

And if nothing else, he fetched a nice bounty at the trade deadline last year. If our defense is solid all year (meaning Kronwall stays healthy and becomes close to the defenseman he's supposed to be) maybe we can swap him to recoup some of what we'll give up in a deal for the top-six forward that we still badly need.

Sopel would not be bad he has to be better then Markov and cost alot less. I would not mind see this I like Lija for some reason but would rather see Sopel play. I think he is a player that could do great things on the wings. Good call by Kenny.

They should be inviting goaltenders not defensemen... come on kenny solidify our g'tending ... While I understand and am thankful for giving us berkhoel, I am also not satisfied with your not making a goaltending changeup... you do understand this very uncharacteristic of you... dare I say you are slipping in your elder age?

:lol:

Guest DetroitIan

Wow, this is great news! Personally, Im crossing my fingers for Sopel. Come on Kenny! Sign this guy!

So lets say he grabs Sopel or another vet D for 1-1.5mil for one year, that leaves the wings with 3.5-4mil before the cap.

Does that make the wings the best D in the league. I think he is better than what the team has now, but I would love to see some of the young guys get a shot. That is my only area of contention with this.

That is a lot of money for a rent-a-player at the deadline.

I think with Sopel things would look even better for them in the D-Dept. Now not saying Sopel is that great and all but some player who are not the big name top 4 on a teams D play even better i dont think he would hurt us only help us.

So lets say he grabs Sopel or another vet D for 1-1.5mil for one year, that leaves the wings with 3.5-4mil before the cap.

Does that make the wings the best D in the league. I think he is better than what the team has now, but I would love to see some of the young guys get a shot. That is my only area of contention with this.

That is a lot of money for a rent-a-player at the deadline.

And that money righfully belongs in the pockets of Feds... YAY! he is coming back.

yeah so what if Lil' Ja gets booty we are allowed to allow better players to come along and get him off the ice... its no crime.

Edited by OsGOD

And that money righfully belongs in the pockets of Feds... YAY! he is coming back.

yeah so what if Lil' Ja gets booty we are allowed to allow better players to come along and get him off the ice... its no crime.

But what if Leijla cries like he did last year. Whatever will we do?