Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Zetterberg-Samuelsson

Cleary-Filppula-Draper

Drake-Kopecky-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lilja

Lebda-Chelios

Interesting to say the least.

Grigs looks like he's off to GR for a spell, unless he blows the camp apart.

I can't say I know a lot about the story, but would Grigs ever play for GR? or would he just head back to Russia?

And didnt we try this splitting of Dats and Z at the beginning of last year and it didn't pan out? Obviously I would love to have a balanced scoring attack and not just a 1 line team. But everyone out there knows how deadly those two can be together.

Guest jaytan

Those defensive pairings are idiotic.

The lines make my stomach turn as well, but I already knew they would. We don't have much to work with, really. At least he plans on keeping Datsyuk and Zetterberg centering their own lines.

This could be a scary season.

I can't say I know a lot about the story, but would Grigs ever play for GR? or would he just head back to Russia?

And didnt we try this splitting of Dats and Z at the beginning of last year and it didn't pan out? Obviously I would love to have a balanced scoring attack and not just a 1 line team. But everyone out there knows how deadly those two can be together.

Grigs has a clause that says if he's not playing for the Wings in November he can scram back to the USSR.

At this point if Grigs makes the team, Kopecky's the odd man out with Franzen moving to the 3rd or 4th line.

Edited by Hank

Grigs has a clause that says if he's not playing for the Wings in November he can scram back to the USSR.

Yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking. I do hope he has a strong camp, but I know so little about the guy, I really have no idea what to expect.

And unless, he or Hudler, or someone like that can really, Really, step it up and become a top winger, I still think we need Dats and Z playing time together.

Well, I'm hoping that he sticks it out in Grand Rapids for a bit so he can get used to the North American style of hockey. Grand Rapids will be a good place for him to develop and get used to a more physical game. I don't know how the pay compares between playing in the AHL vs. the money in Russia, but if there is an injury he could be called up in just over 2 hours and ready to play for a home game. Can't do that in Russia.

Yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking. I do hope he has a strong camp, but I know so little about the guy, I really have no idea what to expect.

And unless, he or Hudler, or someone like that can really, Really, step it up and become a top winger, I still think we need Dats and Z playing time together.

From what's been written about and speculated, think Hudlers skating, with Andreychuk hands and a bit of grit.

Well, I'm hoping that he sticks it out in Grand Rapids for a bit so he can get used to the North American style of hockey. Grand Rapids will be a good place for him to develop and get used to a more physical game. I don't know how the pay compares between playing in the AHL vs. the money in Russia, but if there is an injury he could be called up in just over 2 hours and ready to play for a home game. Can't do that in Russia.

Me too. But I think he can go from making $80,000 in the AHL to over $1M US, tax free, in the RSL. That's pretty hard to pass up.

The defense pairings are decent IMO, but the forward lines are terrible..which is what I expected. The only line I really like is the 4th line. It may look like a bunch of scrubs on paper, the leftovers if you will, but I could see that line having some sick chemistry and those guys end up loving to play with one another.

Waive Samuelson and put Grigs in his place. Scratche Lilja and with Sopel being invited to camp, but him in Lilja's place and those lines arent bad.

Babcock will never waive Samuelsson as long as he has delusions about him running the point on the powerplay. As for Sopel, he's no better than Lilja, and doesn't possess the great fighting ability that Lilja brings to this team.

Babcock will never waive Samuelsson as long as he has delusions about him running the point on the powerplay. As for Sopel, he's no better than Lilja, and doesn't possess the great fighting ability that Lilja brings to this team.

:lol:

I disagree, I think that if Grigs has a better camp then Samuelson then he'll either be 13th foreward or waived. Babcock has already said he wont sit Maltby or Drake, so its only Hudler or Sammy.

It's to be expected that Grigorenko isn't in any projected lineup as of now, Babcock doesn't know what he can do, hell no one really does. Grigs has never played in a North American format for a long period of time so he'll be on the outside looking in for a little bit. With that being said, Grigs will be given every opportunity to become an impact player, Holland and Nill didn't patiently wait all of these years to give him a half-assed shot at making the squad and allow him to run home to Russia.

As for the other lines, nothing too surprising, Samuelsson works very well with Zetterberg so he fits in there, Hudler may or not work on that line but it's nice to know he's starting on a line with an elite center. I love Franzen playing with Datsyuk but not sure how Holmstrom will produce without Zetterberg.

It's silly to get upset about these lines, they could be totally different one hour into training camp.

I disagree, I think that if Grigs has a better camp then Samuelson then he'll either be 13th foreward or waived. Babcock has already said he wont sit Maltby or Drake, so its only Hudler or Sammy.

Uh, what? When did he say this?

Franzen a first line winger??????????? I love the mule but he doesn't belong on the top line,,,i'd rather have huds there to be quite honest

There's not a lot of choices.

It's silly to get upset about these lines, they could be totally different one hour into training camp.

And five games into the season. And five games after that. And five games after that. And so on. Amen to that, Heaton.....people are always going "zomg babs iz moron" and getting all upset about the lines. How can Hudler be on the third line???? How is Franzen a first liner???? Defensive pairings are idiotic!!!!

Listen up, people, and this isn't hard: These things change all the friggin' time. Everyone always acts like they're set in stone. They'll shuffle periodically as people get hurt, certain combos go cold and others get hot, guys get called up or sent down, trades happen....and so on.

Guest jaytan

I know that, but just seeing it put out like this from the guy in charge.... It has me worried. Our D is going to be in trouble in Cheli's playing light minutes and Rafalski is paired with Lidstrom.

I know that, but just seeing it put out like this from the guy in charge.... It has me worried. Our D is going to be in trouble in Cheli's playing light minutes and Rafalski is paired with Lidstrom.

Rafalski "paired" with Lidstrom is like any pairing with Lidstrom in it, they may be "paired" together but both will play with almost every other defensemen throughout the game.

Guest jaytan

I just don't see the point in putting them together. They're our elite blueliners, and they also both should contribute a lot offensively.

Those lines suck.

...and I wonder why people actually rate Kopecky over Grigorenko. Being 6'3 means nothing in his case: he doesn't use his size at all. Grigorenko sounds like a much grittier player, and he also has more scoring potential. If Kopecky gets the nod over Grigorenko, I'll be extremely frustrated with the direction this team is going.

I need not disgress my distaste for these lines anymore, though I certainly hope Holland picks up the slack and signs somebody that can play on the top 6. Franzen and Hudler on the top 6 makes me sick.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Zetterberg-Samuelsson

Cleary-Filppula-Draper

Drake-Kopecky-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lilja

Lebda-Chelios

Interesting to say the least.

Grigs looks like he's off to GR for a spell, unless he blows the camp apart.

Franzen first line?

he had some good flashes, but ehh...

and i dont like sammy above cleary.

hes a tough player and he had some big goals throughout the year and moments during the play-offs, altho he too is streaky.

either way, i prefer danny cleary.