No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

NHL Network deal

Rate this topic

Link

[NHL Network (United States)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the American Channel, for the Canadian Channel see NHL Network (Canada)

NHL Network is a planned U.S. cable network devoted to the National Hockey League (NHL), and the sport of ice hockey. A Canadian version of NHL Network has been on the air since 2001.

As a result of the agreement between the NHL and U.S. cable company Comcast that places NHL games on their Versus network (known at the time of the deal as OLN), the American version of NHL Network is in development as a joint venture between the NHL and Comcast. [1]. The NHL Network U.S. will share about 90% of the same programming as the Canadian version, the only difference being which live games the networks will be able to show. NHL Network, if launched as proposed, will be the third U.S. cable network devoted to a major sports league. NBA TV launched in 1999, with NFL Network following in 2003. Major League Baseball is planning a network of its own to launch in 2009.

Comcast, owner of cable networks like Versus, E! Entertainment Television and G4, is also one of the largest operators of cable systems in the United States. The company was contractually obligated to have NHL Network on its systems by summer 2007 at the latest, so it should have been available in the United States beginning with the 2007-08 NHL season. This deadline appears not to have been met, and so Comcast will likely owe a $15 million penalty to the NHL. [2] Both Comcast and the NHL had an option to end their contract after the 2006-07 season, which would have voided Comcast's obligation to launch a U.S. version of NHL Network.[3] To date, no statement has been made by Comcast or the NHL about the option or the potential launch of the NHL Network, no games have been scheduled for the potential network[4] and the NHL.com Web site says that the NHL Network is "Coming soon in the U.S.--call your local cable or satellite provider and ask about NHL Network."

According to various sources, the NHL Network U.S. already has a control center already up and ready to go in Washington D.C. The major obstacle that must be overcome before actual launch is that the NHL wants the network to be paid for by the customer as part of an expanded sports tier. How many cable and satellite companies are willing to make this arrangement is unclear at this time. There is also the backdrop of ongoing problems between some cable providers and NFL Network over carriage terms.

this along with their Big Ten Network deal. Comcast is really pissing me off. At least i have direct TV. I just wish Comcast weren't such money whores.

i get comcast free because my dad works for them. :)

anybody know if the NHL network will be on wow cable?

wow doesn't carry versus, so itd be great to at least get this.

Where do you live? I am for sure going to bug them every hour untill they get the NHL Network so that everyone including my self in Metro Detroit area can watch it. :lol:

Where do you live? I am for sure going to bug them every hour untill they get the NHL Network so that everyone including my self in Metro Detroit area can watch it. :lol:

haha yeah seriously. wow sucks.

if anyone on here is considering getting it, DONT!

press your luck with comcast instead.

haha yeah seriously. wow sucks.

if anyone on here is considering getting it, DONT!

press your luck with comcast instead.

I have WOW and can get Versus. You need digital cable and it's on channel 306 in the Detroit area.

Edited by KirkMaltbyRocks

I had Comcast at my parents house. I bought my own home this summer and now have Dish Network.

Finally got the house, 52" HDTV, and going to get NHL Center Ice, as well as NHL 08 for Xbox 360. What a winning combo. Only thing to top that off would be if Dish carried the NHL Network. With my luck, I doubt it.

I called them and they don't have any clue. In fact, they don't have any clue about NHL Center Ice either. Yet, on their channels it clearly says to call and order. heh.

Well, for those of us with Dish, or Direct, let's cross our fingers!