• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heaton

Holland confirms three camp tryouts

Rate this topic

Already Have one. If you noticed the second half of last season, he wears #3.

In his entire pro-hockey carrer he has gotten 8 fighting penaltys. 8 in 11 years, thats not being a tough guy at all. Thats far closer to being a pasifist.

Cullimore rocks. I like Downey as well. I really want Jassen now. We have the same birthday. lol

Cullimore has been a waste of size his whole career. We might as well bring back Uwe Krupp.

A half-ass "tough guy" beats having no tough guy at all.

True, and even though I'd kill for us to have any fighters on this team, Downey has been hurt too often in his career, and should probably retire.

Sopel would rock. He throws his weight around more than any of our current top 6.

Sopel has never thrown his weight around the way that he should. As for being more physical than our other defensemen, a girls volleyball team is more physical than our other defensemen.

2 Fights does not an enforcer make.

Wait till Lilja murders Boogaard and Laraque this year. Then you'll change your mind about our Swedish God's fighting prowess.

In his entire pro-hockey carrer he has gotten 8 fighting penaltys. 8 in 11 years, thats not being a tough guy at all. Thats far closer to being a pasifist.

What I was alluding to was that we already have a Half-assed enforcer.

*gasp*

Downey... why? I mean, there are other guys who can actually win fights that we could have invited. I'm happy Holland is at least trying something, but unless Downey can play a decent overall hitting game, he'll end up another Brad Norton. He's not a very good fighter (though he did lay the beatdown on Jesse Boulerice with just one punch).

Downey is still better than Norton though, and I'd like to see him make the team as an extra. He's a hell of a lot better and more useful then Kopecky, that's for sure.

I'd love to see Cullimore beat Lilja out of his spot, but I have my doubts right now. Cullimore is a favorite of mine though, so I'll hope for the best for him. It would be great if he made the team over Lilja, because their both on the same skill level, but Cullimore is tougher.

Sopel... sure, let's take him. As long as someone else is gone in the process. I.E. Lilja or Lebda.

Overall: I'm impressed with Holland for actually making the offer for toughness. Hopefully he at least gives one of the two tough guys a chance.

Sopel I have a feeling will make it, at the expense of someone else. Which is no problem with me: we could sure use another top 4 defenseman to save Chelios for the playoffs.

Edited by Kp-Wings

He's won a couple:

I'm not trying to make an argument for Downey here, just thought that video was relevant.

Nope. I'm actually hoping the Wings:

-Don't get Markov back

-Don't pick up any of these three

-Put Huds and Filp on the top two lines

-Keep Kindl and Meech up in the big leagues full time and give them some real minutes with Lids

We NEED young prospects that get a chance to play in the NHL now before the Wings lose their veterans to retirement and are forced to bring more old folks into the system. It's time to reload this team, not give fleeting minutes to the odd prospect every once in a while. Huds and Filp stood out in spite of not being given decent minutes in proportion to their output (remember- no one in the class of calder candidates produced as many goals per minute as Huds).

=

Sopel I have a feeling will make it, at the expense of someone else. Which is no problem with me: we could sure use another top 4 defenseman to save Chelios for the playoffs.

You make an excellent point there- Chelios, while able to play in the top four, is an asset best saved for the playoffs. The Wings would've been screwed even harder last year had he not stepped up after Matty got mauled by a shark.

I'm assuming Chris won't play a full 70 games this year for just that reason.

BUT, why not start with some kids playing and worry about this s*** once we see if those kids earn their keep?

Cullimore's usefulness died along with the old NHL...Downey is still a decent fighter but is 33 and has injury issues. I don't think he's worth signing, even as a utility player...Sopel is pretty good when he stays within his game and doesn't get overplayed, he could be useful if he's willing to sign for reasonable dollars.

omg sopel is a 10 times worse McCabe in his own end, defense version of bobby lang. Cullimore I wouldn't mind if he actually used his size. Downey would be dirt cheap and could play with drake on the 4th line. Downey and drake on a line would be quite entertaining IMO :D

I'd love to have Aaron Downey as our 13th/14th forward and insert him in the line up from time to time but he really doesn't bring much aside from willingness to fight, why not just bring back McCarty if we're looking for someone to fill that role?

I'd love to have Aaron Downey as our 13th/14th forward and insert him in the line up from time to time but he really doesn't bring much aside from willingness to fight, why not just bring back McCarty if we're looking for someone to fill that role?

McCarty is a dinosaur. Not that Downey is all that great, but at least he can still skate. McCarty, on the other hand, had hernia surgery and was already slowing down big time to begin with.

There are others I'd prefer, but if Downey's the one given the chance here, I certainly hope he makes it. He is better than Norton on many levels, and having one fighter is better than none.

(plus, I must disgress again the usefullness of having a fighter as the #13 forward rather then someone like Kopecky, who is extremely useless, or Grigorenko, who damn well should be a regular on the team once the season starts).

Edited by Kp-Wings

McCarty is a dinosaur. Not that Downey is all that great, but at least he can still skate. McCarty, on the other hand, had hernia surgery and was already slowing down big time to begin with.

There are others I'd prefer, but if Downey's the one given the chance here, I certainly hope he makes it. He is better than Norton on many levels, and having one fighter is better than none.

(plus, I must disgress again the usefullness of having a fighter as the #13 forward rather then someone like Kopecky, who is extremely useless, or Grigorenko, who damn well should be a regular on the team once the season starts).

McCarty and Downey are both coming off injuries from last season and unless McCarty is in a wheel chair, he can't be much worse than Downey when it comes to skating and contributing, and from a fighting stand point I would rate the 3 you mentioned Brad Norton > Aaron Downey = Darren McCarty, neither can hold their own with the top heavies anymore and can only contribute a few points a year. I'm glad Downey was invited to camp and wish him the best, if McCarty literally can't skate due to surgery that's understandable but if he is able to go I'd rather see him get a shot

McCarty and Downey are both coming off injuries from last season and unless McCarty is in a wheel chair, he can't be much worse than Downey when it comes to skating and contributing, and from a fighting stand point I would rate the 3 you mentioned Brad Norton > Aaron Downey = Darren McCarty, neither can hold their own with the top heavies anymore and can only contribute a few points a year. I'm glad Downey was invited to camp and wish him the best, if McCarty literally can't skate due to surgery that's understandable but if he is able to go I'd rather see him get a shot

I'd rather just invite somebody healthy, to be honest. ;)

I don't know if Downey can be much worse than McCarty skating wise. He looked pretty bad last season with Calgary before he went down to injury.

There are others I'd want instead of Downey, but I don't know if McCarty is one of them. But still: I wish Downey luck also, and it's nice to see Holland actually willing to give him a chance.

I really dont think Norton is a better fighter then Downey. Maybe a better fighter, but Norton is s***, terrible at pretty much everything. Downey on the other hand would be a pretty good 13th forward/fighter guy.

I still think we may invite Mac to training camp, just to see whats left in the tank. If nothing, then Downey makes the team, if something, I get one of my favorite players back.

About the defenceman, I really hope Sopel makes it, Cullimore isnt great, but is much better then Lilja.

Ideal tradeoffs:

Sopel > Lebda

Cullimore > Lilja

Cullimore and Lilja are about the same, but because Lilja has done so much to piss me off in his tenure here *coughGame5cough*, I'll give Cullimore the benefit of the doubt. We don't even have to play him that much. Keep him around as a spare #7 defenseman, and maybe give time to Quincey or Kindl.

Sopel and Lebda are both offensive defenseman, but since Sopel is much better, I'd rather have him. Only if he's willing to accept a cheap contract though. No way would I give Sopel the 2.4 million he made last season.

Here's an ideal defense in my opinion:

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Sopel - Kronwall

Kindl - Chelios

Cullimore

I don't expect that Kindl will be on the team to start, but I really wish he was. He has all the making of an all-star defenseman. He can learn a thing or two from Chelios also.

I have Lebda removed from the list, which is merely a what I'd want to see on my ideal defense. In all reality, he'd probably be the #6 guy paired with Chelios, while Cullimore would be #7 (if he makes it), and Kindl would get his filler time down in GR.

I shouldn't get too ahead of myself, since none of these guys are even officially on the Wings roster yet. Take it one day at a time at this point.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I shouldn't get too ahead of myself, since none of these guys are even officially on the Wings roster yet. Take it one day at a time at this point.

And they won't be, Quincey and Kindl have better shots at making the Wings than Sopel or Cullimore.

And they won't be, Quincey and Kindl have better shots at making the Wings than Sopel or Cullimore.

why do you think that? I don't really see why there is any interest in Sopel unless a trade is in the works, but with him being invited to camp it's for a shot at the Red Wings, they won't sign him to play for the Griffins, Cullimore I couldn't care less what they do with

If they didn't have a chance at making the team why would the wings have offered these guys spots at camp in order to try out. Besides the decision is not up to any of us, its up to the coaching staff, and Ken Holland.

Oh, here are some of the people Downey has beaten in fights. Cris Neil, Paul Crosty, Matthew Barnaby, Tyson Nash, Andrew Peters, Chris Simon, Reid Simpson, Jody Shelly, and Marc Moro.

Edited by Skiing - Puck

So then why exactly would Holland invite them if they had no chance in hell of making it?

Oh, here are some of the people Downey has beaten in fights. Cris Neil, Paul Crosty, Matthew Barnaby, Tyson Nash, Andrew Peters, Chris Simon, Reid Simpson, Jody Shelly, and Marc Moro.

Some decent names on there. Neil, Shelly, and Peters are all legitimate heavyweights in the NHL right now. Guys like Simpson and Simon were big time fighters also during their heyday, and Marc Moro was a great fighter in the AHL.

So then why exactly would Holland invite them if they had no chance in hell of making it?

Because Kindl, Quincey, and Ericsson are only competing for one of the top 6 spots. Cullimore and Sopel would also be in the running for that coveted 7th spot in the stands.