• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heaton

Holland confirms three camp tryouts

Rate this topic

Funny. Except not.

Except not what? "not playing" , "not making an impact" ,"not being a top 4 d-man" , " not living up to his hype" has he shown anything different.

[

Edited by TimeBinder

Here's an ideal defense in my opinion:

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Sopel - Kronwall

Kindl - Chelios

Cullimore

:crazy: Putting Lids and Rafalski on the same line is a bit of a waste IMHO. Lidstrom dominated the playoffs when paired with Lillypads, so pairing him with Rafalski seems like overkill. How's about:

Lidstrom - Kronvall

Rafalski - Kindl

Chelios - Lebda

Meech

I know they don't want to have a rookie sit on the bench (ironic, I know, given how they treated Huds and Filp) but Chelios is sure to sit out more games this season- as management has stated that they want to save him for the playoffs. Let's say Chelios plays 60 games. Someone's going to get hurt at some point too, so let's give Meech 20 injury replacement games as well. That's 40 games right there.

I suppose it'd most likely look like:

Lidstrom - Kronvall

Rafalski - Lebda

Chelios - Meech

Lilja

With Kindl or Quincey the call-ups.

Meech would have to clear waivers, so unless he screws the pooch in the preseason/October he'll likely be getting third pairing duty.

Kronvall's current contract is clearly a vote of confidence from the management, so I don't expect he'll be playing 3rd line minutes. Lebda's obviously still got some clout with the coach as well, so I highly doubt he'd be playing fewer minutes then the rookie, at least not initially.

This club is too deep in prospects that need to make the jump to the NHL level to waste time with journeyman defensemen right now.

Except not what? "not playing" , "not making an impact" ,"not being a top 4 d-man" , " not living up to his hype" has he shown anything different.

[

When Nik plays he does indeed make an impact. Everytime he starts playing great he gets injured. It's called horrible luck, and it's bound to change and that will be this season, IMO. When he finally gets one full healthy season under his belt, everyone will realize that he was worth all the hype an then some. He's a fine defensman. He's just gotta stay healthy.

When Nik plays he does indeed make an impact. Everytime he starts playing great he gets injured. It's called horrible luck, and it's bound to change and that will be this season, IMO. When he finally gets one full healthy season under his belt, everyone will realize that he was worth all the hype an then some. He's a fine defensman. He's just gotta stay healthy.

I would love for him to have a breakout season but he doesn't put up points , makes a lot of mental mistakes and except for the occasional hit hasn't shown much; even looks like he has lost a step(prob d/t the injuries) - love your faith in him tho; but you know what they say about faith ;)

I don't ever recall Kronner getting injured because of him being physical, and hitting. He doesn't pay a reckless abandon type of game. That's moreso Markov's style.

You are correct - his injuries are more the "freak" kind

I'll be shocked if Sopel doesn't make the team; he's got the experience, & capabilities that'll land him the #4 Dman spot that was left by Markov.

EDIT: Having Sopel on our team also solidifies our 2nd pp unit; no need for another right handed forward to be on the point :thumbup:

You're forgetting about the great Mikael Samuelsson.

I don't ever recall Kronner getting injured because of him being physical, and hitting. He doesn't pay a reckless abandon type of game. That's moreso Markov's style.

His hitting was how he got his nose nearly cut off and had to wear a cage after missing his customary swath of games. He leveled an Av so bad that the player's skate came up and hit him in the face.

His hitting was how he got his nose nearly cut off and had to wear a cage after missing his customary swath of games. He leveled an Av so bad that the player's skate came up and hit him in the face.

Talk about a reach.

I'm bigger on Sopel than the other two. He's a right-handed shot that is competent in his zone and great on the PP.

Cullimore gives us exactly what Lielja gives us now.

And while Downey can chuck knuckles better than anyone on our club, he's still a liability out there.

Lidstrom-Sopel

Kronwall-Rafalski

Leijla/Lebda-Chelios

That's a pretty good defense right there. Lots of puck movers and everyone takes care of their own end.

Sopel received invitation to camp tryout and you want him to play with Lidstrom on 1st DEF line???

That is the best place to put the weakest defender.

Lids can make up for a lot of things. Scotty used to do it all of the time in the reg season. Kuznetsov I believe played with lids.

Kronwall was his partner for a while too.

It is not like saying Sopel is a top or 2 d-man he is there because it is the best fit for him. I would rather see Lebda or Kronner there and let them learn from the master. However it wouldn't surprise me to see Sopel on that pairing.

Sopel received invitation to camp tryout and you want him to play with Lidstrom on 1st DEF line???

Exactly. Where the hell did all this love for Sopel come from? If he was a top 6 D-man, he wouldn't be trying out for training camp, but would instead already have a spot with some team.

That is the best place to put the weakest defender.

Lids can make up for a lot of things. Scotty used to do it all of the time in the reg season. Kuznetsov I believe played with lids.

Kronwall was his partner for a while too.

It is not like saying Sopel is a top or 2 d-man he is there because it is the best fit for him. I would rather see Lebda or Kronner there and let them learn from the master. However it wouldn't surprise me to see Sopel on that pairing.

That's why:

Pronger was paired with McInnis

Pronger was paired with Niedermayer

Niedermayer was paired with Stevens

...ETC...

That's why:

We signed RIGHT HAND DEF named Rafalski (at $6M) to play on the 2nd def unit...

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - *Sopel*

Lebda - Chelios

Lilja

That's why:

Pronger was paired with McInnis

Niedermayer was paired with Stevens

...ETC...

That's why:

We signed RIGHT HAND DEF named Rafalski (at $6M) to play on the 2nd def unit...

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - *Sopel*

Lebda - Chelios

Lilja

The Scotts in New Jersey were both lefties, and Rafalski was paired with Stevens from the moment he arrived.

I know that many of you are going to think I am nuts in saying this but I would like to see Ference an Lilija on the Wings before someone like Lebda becose they have the size and strength to clean out the crease

I know that many of you are going to think I am nuts in saying this but I would like to see Ference an Lilija on the Wings before someone like Lebda becose they have the size and strength to clean out the crease

I might agree with you if this were, say, 1992. Unfortunately, the days of planting big monster defenseman in front of the net to flatten any forward who comes near it are gone...unless, of course, your team strategy is to pile up as many obstruction/interference penalties as possible. That's why big, slow, modestly-talented players like Ference are disappearing from the NHL and being replaced by smaller, faster players like Lebda.

But I must admit, I do love watching Lilja "clean out the crease" with his size and strength...truly a display of raw power the likes of which hasn't been seen since the glory days of Anders Myrvold.

That's why:

Actually, Pronger was paired with O'Donnell, and Niedermayer was paired with Beauchemin. Although they often did end up on the ice together, that was more a function of their each playing half the game and their partners not as much.

I imagine that Sopel is going to eventually sign on and replace Markov. I'd like to see him sign for less than the 2.4M he made last year. He's a solid top4 defenseman with a good shot and he stays out of the penalty box. I'll bet that he makes the team. ( I don't think that Cullimore or Downey will make the roster. )

We've also got Brad Ference who may serve in Grand Rapids, but fits as a 7th defenseman as well. He likes to bang and is aggressive in clearing the front of the net.

The problem is, we've got so many 6-7 defensemen.

Plus, when will we get to see Kindl and Quicney come up, not to mention Meech? I think Kindl has a much better upside than the other two, but I'll bet he winds up getting some "seasoning" in GR.

With all of these defensemen, we're really quite deep on D. Perhaps we're gearing up for a trade to help the forwards out?

That is where we're thinnest.

Our defense would look thusly with Sopel:

Lidstrom, Kronwall

Rafalski, Sopel

Chelios, Lebda

one of....Lilja, Kindl, Quincey, Ference, Meech

Minus Sopel:

Lidstrom, Lilja

Rafalski, Kronwall

Chelios, Lebda

one of Ference, Kindl, Quincey, Meech

Personally, I feel more comfortable with Lilja as a #7 rather than #2.

We all know that Datsyuk & Zetterberg have to be split due to the departure of our 2nd line. (Which is addition by subtraction, if you ask me.)

So how do the forwards shake out? I've read that Kopecky will likely center the 4th line, Grigorenko will pair with Datsyuk, and Draper was mentioned as being considered for the wing........which I hate. He needs to center the Grind Line. I'll list 2 rosters with him at Wing and in the preferred center ice positions.

Cleary, Zetterberg, Holmstrom

Filpulla, Datsyuk, Grigorenko

Maltby, Draper, Drake

Hudler, Kopecky, Franzen

Samuelsson

or

Hudler, Zetterberg, Holmstrom

Filpulla, Datsyuk, Draper

Maltby, Franzen, Drake

Cleary, Kopecky, Samuelsson

Grigorenko

Or better yet....

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Filpulla, Kopecky, Cleary

Hudler, Franzen, Grigorenko

Maltby, Draper, Drake

Samuelsson

Okay, I guess the forward corp is not too shabby........

I say that we trade Maltby & Samuelsson along with a defenseman (Meech/Quincey) to try to pick up a scoring forward for the 2nd line.

Actually, Pronger was paired with O'Donnell, and Niedermayer was paired with Beauchemin. Although they often did end up on the ice together, that was more a function of their each playing half the game and their partners not as much.

When we played against them Pronger was paired with Niedermayer vs. Datsyuk - Zetterberg line... that's one of the reasons why bab's splitted Datsyuk and Zetterberg... but yes you are right...

I just can't see that we are not going to play Rafalski and Lidstrom together...

The Scotts in New Jersey were both lefties, and Rafalski was paired with Stevens from the moment he arrived.

Because of that they didin't played together??? How many RIGHT hand def. played with Lidstrom???

Talk about a reach.

I'm not making his argument for him, just giving at least one instance where the physicality came back to bite him. Obviously checking is good. I may not like Kronwall, but at least he tries to run people now and then.