• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank

Grigs out of shape

Rate this topic

Well MacLeod sure changed his tune pretty fast. He had nothing but nice things to say about Griggs after the game against Tampa.

So what's the story Mac? How does he go from "best offensive forward in the game"... "slowed the game down" to "above average" and "needs to do more to make this team"?

By "slowed the game down" I think he means that in the Nick Lidstrom sense. That is, Grigorenko wasn't actually detracting from the pace of the game, he was figuratively "slowing the game down" in his mind so that he was reacting quicker than everyone else and seeing things they weren't.

I'm just curious....how does anyone who's not on the ice claim someone is out of shape? Unless he was in the corner gasping for breath or some obvious sign, I guess I don't know how a spectator/media makes that determination. I played a good deal of hockey in my life and the only way I knew if someone was "out of shape" was sitting on the bench or in the locker room.

Gasping for breath coming off of shifts when everyone else isn't......getting beat to pucks in the third that he'd have gotten to in the first....getting knocked over easier and being slower to get up than earlier in the game.....there are lots of signs. No, you wouldn't see them if you were only watching the game, but someone who's there watching a particular player, as I'm sure people were doing with Igor, they'd notice.

Guest jaytan

Exactly what I've been expecting all along.... And some people here were ready to award this guy the Calder trophy already.

or, he had an offnight

the guy was the best player in the first two games, i recall 3 assists in the last game

but yes i know, we love to bash the Russians (and europeans in general), nothing new in Wings world

I dont think this is bashing the guy... he is just a bit heavy, and should have come to camp in better shape. His nationality has nothing to do with that.

Rick Nash has the same problem every year. So did the Canadians during the 72 Summit Series.

By "slowed the game down" I think he means that in the Nick Lidstrom sense. That is, Grigorenko wasn't actually detracting from the pace of the game, he was figuratively "slowing the game down" in his mind so that he was reacting quicker than everyone else and seeing things they weren't.

I agree, that's what I meant to suggest by putting next to the best forward in the game comment and juxtaposing it against the negatives.

I'm not particularly one for critiquing players in games I haven't seen, nor am I one to make excuses for a player who may be performing below their apparent ability. The bottom line is he has a chance to make the team when training camp starts. If he brings it there and is as good as everyone says, he'll be on the team no problem. If he is out of shape or whatever else the problem might be, then he doesn't deserve to play for the wings, cuz he'll just be slowing the rest of the team down.

In any event, we'll see how good he really is in 3 weeks.

I'm not particularly one for critiquing players in games I haven't seen, nor am I one to make excuses for a player who may be performing below their apparent ability. The bottom line is he has a chance to make the team when training camp starts. If he brings it there and is as good as everyone says, he'll be on the team no problem. If he is out of shape or whatever else the problem might be, then he doesn't deserve to play for the wings, cuz he'll just be slowing the rest of the team down.

In any event, we'll see how good he really is in 3 weeks.

It's nice to have people who express your opinions more eloquently for you. :)

honestly, most people held their expectations way too high for this kid. Earlier in the summer, I remember seeing countless posts of probable lines with Grigs being on the second line. You gotta be kidding me. This kid will either play most of this season in the minors, or he'll go off back to Russia. I for one would like to see him stick around and maybe catch him in the few games he does play this season in the NHL.....he might have hope for the future. He's just not gonna be this crazy breakout star that many people are/were expecting.....at least not THIS season.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest Yzer19

I dont think this is bashing the guy... he is just a bit heavy, and should have come to camp in better shape. His nationality has nothing to do with that.

Rick Nash has the same problem every year. So did the Canadians during the 72 Summit Series.

I agree with you that it is not bashing and it has nothing to do with nationality. If anything Wings fans have a tendency to bash Canadian players way more than they do Russians or Europeans.

I agree with you that it is not bashing and it has nothing to do with nationality. If anything Wings fans have a tendency to bash Canadian players way more than they do Russians or Europeans.

how quickly we all forget....

Datsyuk

Fedorov

Lang

meanwhile Maltby and Draper (i like them both) can do no wrong

Guest Yzer19

how quickly we all forget....

Datsyuk

Fedorov

Lang

meanwhile Maltby and Draper (i like them both) can do no wrong

Yes, Lang was bashed, but Fedorov and Datsyuk were never bashed.

Don't forget Shanny, the guy that used to wear #19, Bertuzzi, Williams, Osgood, etc. All these Canadians were bashed by Wings fans.