147 replies to this topic

#141 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(OsGOD @ November 17, 2007 - 01:49PM) View Post

Yeah, right now i am in the midst of my 1 year too long... at about the 3 month mark wink.gif I am just going through the motions... i could give 2 s***s about that job anymore.

Congrats again at the new job and the pay raise biggrin.gif

1st - thanks....I'm sorta excited about this new gig. It actually has a few futures to it and that is rare for me to say.

2nd - If you're anything at ALL like me - it is just WAY WAY easier to keep going in. Just to keep getting up and going in. Just the mere THOUGHT of looking for that new job, the interview, the lying in the interview, the brand new prick from H.R. that's interviewing you and lying right back at you across the desk........:::::sigh:::::

I'm not trying to get you down.....just saying I've been there.......and been there again and again.
And if I remember correctly - the 3-month-too-long-mark goes as follows?:
Get up each morning - shower - look in the mirror "Well.......it pays the f(*&*(g rent right?". -or- "If that S.o.B blank-sucker so much as looks at me today I swear to God I'm gonna.........." -or- "::::sigh:::: How many sick days do I have left?" -or- "Think they'd notice if I came in late/left early?"........<<<---or all of those at once? I'm sure there are more too.

Anyways - I am here if you'd care to get into any detailed public rants. No PMs.....let's all hear 'em. C'mon - put 'em out there.

ALOHA

#142 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Sting 11 @ November 17, 2007 - 04:19PM) View Post

So you have multiple bosses too, eh? I have 3 immediate supervisors, an overall facility manager, all the way up the chain to Washington. The supervisor assigned to me is a jerk, but the other two are okay. I don't mind my facility manager. My ultimate boss (POTUS) is a jackass. dry.gif

Well, I don't have quite that many supervisors. We've got a 3 man firm going. It's kind of a strange set up. The two attorneys I work for are solo practicioners who share an office. Neither one of them were able to hire me by themselves, but they decided if each of them paid half my salary, they could hire me.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#143 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

I work as a consultant for a small company in that specializes in process simulation. We use simulation modelling to build deterministic systems that can be used to solve various tactical issues (e.g to create an efficient production schedule based on shop floor data and dynamic scheduling rules). We also (although this area of company is still in its infancy) build larger stochastic decision-support systems with database connectivity that can be used to support business decisions on a more strategic level.

I'm about a month into my current job, and although it can be stressful this is precisely the type of work I had in mind when I majored in Operations Research and Management Sciences in school. Prior to this all of my previous jobs (all 6 of them if you count interships obtained through my school's cooperative education program) were in software development (i.e. coding) which was something I was decent at but never really enjoyed. Each job was interesting for a few months, but by the 3 month mark I was 'running on fumes' so to speak. Boy am I glad I got outta that field.

I guess the moral of this story (if there is one) is this: if you're (sure that you are) not enjoying your job don't be afraid to look for something else (or take classes in a different field, or whatever). Sure the interviews are a total ***** but if you are only applying to positions you truly desire then an interview is (almost) always worth the shot. If you do decide to go this route I'd recommend looking for work/planning your next move while you are still employed, although this can be pain in the ass and isn't always possible/feasible.

#144 amberlynn25

amberlynn25

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

right now im at subway...again. been there since September/October.
I get up every day, and I live. Everybody says you should live to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close that you're not worried about anything else but being alive."~ Jiri Fischer
my heart belongs to a canadian!

#145 MonkeyGoalie

MonkeyGoalie

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

I'm an Electrical Engineering student at SVSU with a minor in Music.

#146 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE(OsGOD @ November 17, 2007 - 01:49PM) View Post

Yeah, right now i am in the midst of my 1 year too long... at about the 3 month mark wink.gif I am just going through the motions... i could give 2 s***s about that job anymore.

Congrats again at the new job and the pay raise biggrin.gif

No biggie on the "one year too long thing" THIS time for sure. Last gig I was bragging about ^^up there^^ lasted less than 2 weeks!

Boy am I proud now........Hoildays.....unemployed.....no really good prospects......Good times, good times.
Anybody interested in building a very nice home on Maui, feel free to drop a line - I have access to an A/B license and a few good carpenters.

aloha

P.S. s***! STRESS TIME AGAIN ALREADY?

#147 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(DaKineMaui @ December 10, 2007 - 04:16AM) View Post

No biggie on the "one year too long thing" THIS time for sure. Last gig I was bragging about ^^up there^^ lasted less than 2 weeks!

Boy am I proud now........Hoildays.....unemployed.....no really good prospects......Good times, good times.
Anybody interested in building a very nice home on Maui, feel free to drop a line - I have access to an A/B license and a few good carpenters.

aloha

P.S. s***! STRESS TIME AGAIN ALREADY?

Awe s*** man i am sorry... I would so be up to living on Maui... my parents just got back and loved it. Then hearing you talk about it... yeah that would be nice! Unfortuantly I am currently stuck in the money pit that is Michigan....

But I've got a plan, drink for 40 days and 40 nights! or s*** in one hand and wish in the other and see which one gets filled first...

sorry just had those lyrics in my head...

Edited by OsGOD, 10 December 2007 - 11:59 AM.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#148 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

I work at Golfsmith (golf store, obviously) on 14 and John R. I highly, highly don't recommend it. Especially if you like to golf. One of the biggest myths is that we get to golf all the time. Nope. We probably get to golf less than you do. Plus the people that walk in the store...

It could be the end of the world and someone would be trying to walk into Golfsmith, A GOLF STORE, to buy a pack of f**kin tee's. When we had the really bad storm towards the end of the summer we still had people in there. And they are sitting right by one of the tv's listening to Chuck Gadica advising people not to go outside. And these people decided to hop in their car. And probably say "Hey, we could possibly get killed driving to Golfsmith. But let's go anyways."

I'm not bitter. At all.

*edit* BTW we have the same s*** today as we did yesterday

Edited by dallas27, 10 December 2007 - 03:10 PM.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users