• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Current lines made clear

Rate this topic

Snap Shots: Wings' youth movement is going "forward"

Here is the direct quote stating the lines in question:

Hudler has been moved up to the second line, set to play with Henrik Zetterberg and Mikael Samuelsson. Filppula is slated to center the third line and is being groomed to take over one of the top two lines in the future. And Kopecky is moving from wing to center, skating on the fourth line with Kirk Maltby and free-agent signee Dallas Drake on his wings.

Thus, the confirmed lines are:

? - Datsyuk - ?

Hudler - Zetterberg - Samuelsson

? - Filppula - ?

Maltby - Kopecky - Drake

So we've got four question marks. We can fix that using a second article:

Snap Shots: Is Tomas Kopecky the next Kris Draper?

In this article is states that Draper will play right wing to Filppula on the third line.

Thus, the confirmed lines can be filled out to:

? - Datsyuk - ?

Draper - Filppula - ?

Maltby - Kopecky - Drake

It's obvious that Holmstrom isn't going to be on the third line, thus we have:

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Cleary/Franzen/Grigorenko

Draper - Filppula - Franzen/Cleary/Grigorenko

Maltby - Kopecky - Drake

No one will argue that Franzen is a better 1st liner than Cleary, so I think we'll see the following, assuming Grigorenko is the 13th forward:

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Cleary

Draper - Filppula - Franzen

Maltby - Kopecky - Drake

Grigorenko

It has been stated, however, that Datsyuk is mentoring Grigorenko, with the two of them being paired up for training camp groupings. Based on that I'd say that if Grigorenko's play steps up he'd likely take Cleary's place on the first line with Cleary displacing Franzen. In that case I imagine Franzen would replace Kopecky on the fourth line and Drake would take over that line's centre position.

EDIT:

Well based on further reporting from the TC camp, here's Bab's final lines, precamp performances (i.e. someone could impress his pants off), to start playing other clubs:

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Franzen

Draper - Filppula - Cleary

Maltby - Kopecky - Drake

Grigorenko

Marcus' suggestions to the team:

Kopecky- time to fall on your ass and cry, also make sure to do some poor backchecking (please?)

Sammy- time to plan a trip to Africa and not tell Babs

Grigs- score on everyone and show up 20 mins early for drills

Cleary- play like you did in the playoffs

Babs- PUT CLEARY IN PLACE OF SAMMY!

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Homer - Pavel - Stein - Top line for Team A at TC

Hoodlum - Z - Sammy - Top line for Team B at TC

Drapes - Fil - Cleary - Top line for Team C at TC

Malts - Kop - Drake - 2nd line for Team C at TC

Igor - 2nd liner for Team A at TC

To note the D pairings involving those guys in the running

Lids - Sopel - Top pairing for Team A

Lebda - Ericsson - 2nd pairing for Team A

Cullimore - Rafalski - Top pairing Team B

Quince - Lilly - 2nd pairing Team B

Kronor - Ference - Top pairing Team C

Cheli - Meechie - 2nd pairing Team C

Honestly the only realistic pairs I see here are Lids - Sopel if Sopel beats out enough guys or Meech - Cheli if Derek beats out Lebda.

Homer - Pavel - Stein - Top line for Team A at TC

Hoodlum - Z - Sammy - Top line for Team B at TC

Drapes - Fil - Cleary - Top line for Team C at TC

Malts - Kop - Drake - 2nd line for Team C at TC

Igor - 2nd liner for Team A at TC

That's interesting that Igor wasn't paired with Pavel given that Dats was suppose to mentor him, but it makes sense if we look at these lines as being an attempt to develop maximum chemistry before the preseason. Clearly, however, my theoretical lines are actually pretty close to home! I'm bummed that Cleary would be playing on the third line over Franzen though. Seems stupid to me since Cleary has a better chance of being a top six forward then Franzen does. Mule looks to be a future grindline guy at this point.

i really think that Grigs will find his way into a top 6 spot at sometime this year. WE've needed a top six forward for about 3 years now and if he fits the bill,..i think pavel the playmaker will make sure he gets some goals.

Guest DetroitIan

I dont care what anyone says, I think keeping Datsyuk and Zetterberg together is a MUST. Bad move to break em up IMO.

Guest LivingtheDream

I dont care what anyone says, I think keeping Datsyuk and Zetterberg together is a MUST. Bad move to break em up IMO.

You are singing my song and the line that it is easy to shut down is not at all supported by stats and is a knee jerk quote. That line when it was FINALLY put back together was the best in the NHL. Unstoppable. We will see it again, the stupidity can only go on so long.

You are singing my song and the line that it is easy to shut down is not at all supported by stats and is a knee jerk quote. That line when it was FINALLY put back together was the best in the NHL. Unstoppable. We will see it again, the stupidity can only go on so long.

Actually there is nothing knee jerk about it. Last year we had more proven forwards and unless you forgot we lost the whole second line including the only other center proven to handle a second line. So of course it was harder to shut them down, there was more proven scoring depth on the other lines. Now hey Filpulla may prove himself and be the second line center by playoffs but he hasn't yet. We have less top scorers so we have to spread them out so its harder to match lines. Not to mention thay are both natural centers and both WANT to play center.

edit. spelling

Edited by Son of a Wing

I'm just curious.... but does anyone else feel that our 3rd line could be great? Drapes and Cleary, as hard as they try on offense and defense, plus with Flips talent... That could be a pretty great 3rd line.

I agree. At the very least it'll be fun to watch all the Cleary doubters backtrack. ;)

Nice job Drake!

I think Dats and Hank will play together in certain points in the game (PP 4on4) or even when were looking for offense.

We need some of the youngsters to really step up there game this year take some of the load off.

Hurry up season!!!

Guest LivingtheDream

Actually there is nothing knee jerk about it. Last year we had more proven forwards and unless you forgot we lost the whole second line including the only other center proven to handle a second line. So of course it was harder to shut them down, there was more proven scoring depth on the other lines. Now hey Filpulla may prove himself and be the second line center by playoffs but he hasn't yet. We have less top scorers so we have to spread them out so its harder to match lines. Not to mention thay are both natural centers and both WANT to play center.

edit. spelling

I guess I have a disadvantage, I read. They want to play together and Babs told them last year to figure out how to deal with the center issue and they did - the result, must I say it again and again and again, was with Homer they were the best line in the NHL. Where is the logic of breaking up the best line in the NHL? You will be proven wrong.

:lol:

Yupp ... because Drapes 14 goals last year playing center was a fluke right? Same with Dano's 20?

Careful- you're about to get a speel about Cleary's previous point totals before this season and Lang's contribution. Let that can of worms alone and just think about how Cleary played this post season.

I guess I have a disadvantage, I read. They want to play together and Babs told them last year to figure out how to deal with the center issue and they did - the result, must I say it again and again and again, was with Homer they were the best line in the NHL. Where is the logic of breaking up the best line in the NHL? You will be proven wrong.

Thanks for not responding at all to the issue of lack of proven scoring depth or a proven second line center. This isn't the same team as last year and we are adapting to that. I'm sure they will be together on the powerplay and will be very successful there.

Careful- you're about to get a speel about Cleary's previous point totals before this season and Lang's contribution. Let that can of worms alone and just think about how Cleary played this post season.

And completely ignore the two months just prior...