• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
OsGOD

Drake stars for Wings

Rate this topic

That's my boy!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...PDATE/709140444

TRAVERSE CITY -- Dallas Drake is in familiar surroundings at this training camp.

The 38-year-old forward is back with the Wings and also training in Traverse City, where he lives in the offseason.

Drake, signed as a free agent, was impressive Friday, getting a goal and two assists in his team's 3-0 intra-squad victory.

"It was fun, a good first day," Drake said. "This is a team that competes for the Stanley Cup every year and that's what I was looking for. I'm excited to be here."

Coach Mike Babcock has Drake on a line with Kirk Maltby and Tomas Kopecky.

"The work ethic that Dallas Drake brings, he brings that every night," said Chris Chelios, who also scored a goal. Derek Meech had the other goal.

"He (Drake) goes into those zones and he's around the net all the time," Chelios said.

Guest DetroitIan

That's great to hear! I was pumped up as soon as I heard we sign Drake. I couldnt believe some people here thinking it was a bad move. This guy adds grit, leadership, experience, and heart to this team. And the guy knows how to put the puck in the net. Can't wait to see this guy on a regular basis. :thumbup:

TRAVERSE CITY -- Dallas Drake is in familiar surroundings at this training camp.

The 38-year-old forward is back with the Wings and also training in Traverse City, where he lives in the offseason.

Drake, signed as a free agent, was impressive Friday, getting a goal and two assists in his team's 3-0 intra-squad victory.

"It was fun, a good first day," Drake said. "This is a team that competes for the Stanley Cup every year and that's what I was looking for. I'm excited to be here."

Coach Mike Babcock has Drake on a line with Kirk Maltby and Tomas Kopecky.

"The work ethic that Dallas Drake brings, he brings that every night," said Chris Chelios, who also scored a goal. Derek Meech had the other goal.

"He (Drake) goes into those zones and he's around the net all the time," Chelios said.

:o I found the bolded comment to be the most exciting!

We all know Cheli scores once or twice a year, and I already missed one of them. D*mn! :P

HELL YEAH!

Atta boy, Dallas.

I have been wanting him back on the Wings for like 5 years now. I remember how excited I got when my cousin called me up and told me we acquired him again. I literally jumped out of bed and yelled WE GOT DALLAS DRAKE?! :P

Dally always had speed and he's never been a liability. I enjoyed watching him at NMU, roomed with his former goalie Billy Pye and had a few opportunities to meet him in person when he had a house up here. He's a down to earth guy who never did learn not to lead with his face.

I hope he helps bring another Stanley Cup to Detroit and will be gracious enough to show it off in Marquette like Randy McKay did in Houghton when New Jersey won the cup.

Good luck Dally from an old pool playin victim of yours from the old Eastwood...

It'll take more than a scrimmage against a team of GR-bound kids to make a believer out of me...encouraging start though.

Indeed it will.

Though, Drake is one of my favorites on the Wings, so hopefully it's a good sign of things to come.

Guest LivingtheDream

Drake is in no way going to sit back, he is going to play his ass off and earn top minutes. Youngters and others will, I hope, respond and play hard too. Think about it, the one thing the Wings seemed to drop at crucial times was heart and the non stop intensity needed to win a, well a conference final. A guy like this will inspire and lead by example.

Drake is in no way going to sit back, he is going to play his ass off and earn top minutes. Youngters and others will, I hope, respond and play hard too. Think about it, the one thing the Wings seemed to drop at crucial times was heart and the non stop intensity needed to win a, well a conference final. A guy like this will inspire and lead by example.

I think that was the idea in picking him up for $500k. He adds those intangibles at a bargain basement price.

Just think how everyone complained about Hasek and in turn look how he played for us, he went from basement prices to deserving a nice raise, whos to say Drake isn't capable of the same thing.

I don't remember complaints, just a lot of skepticism.

That's what we have here.

Just think how everyone complained about Hasek and in turn look how he played for us, he went from basement prices to deserving a nice raise, whos to say Drake isn't capable of the same thing.

The problem with that is that Hasek wasn't a poor player on Ottawa, he played amazingly well for them. He just wasn't as committed to being in game shape and staying healthy via stretches and working out intelligently.

The problem with that is that Hasek wasn't a poor player on Ottawa, he played amazingly well for them. He just wasn't as committed to being in game shape and staying healthy via stretches and working out intelligently.

well here's the thing, Drake played pretty well in st. louis too. Granted he was waived (which i don't put much stock in, lots of players have been waived one year and played great the next) and he was no where near how hasek played in ottawa but people seem to think drake is incapable of putting up points. Last year wasn't to great for him he only had 12 points but he's conistently scored in the 30 point mark his entire career. in 06 he had 24 assists,...a playmaker who can level a guy,..i'll take it.

Edited by theman19