• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Notes from training camp day 2

Rate this topic

Second Training Camp Scrimmage

Here's the full text:

Team C won for the second time at training camp, beating Team A, Saturday, 6-5 in a shootout. Chris Chelios ended the shootout as the 16th shooter (the previous 15 managed just two goals) when he skated in between the faceoff circles, slowed and sent a slap shot that got past the glove of Adam Berkhoel. The netminder had just made a fantastic glove save on a Dallas Drake deke and backhand on the previous shooter.

Standouts in the game include Dominik Hasek and Jimmy Howard. Hasek played a scoreless first half (two 30-minute running-time halves) and Howard who surrendered just one goal to the line of Tomas Holmstrom, Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen. Holmstrom finished with two goals and one assist. Tomas Kopecky also had two goals an one assist and Cory Emmerton had one goal and one assist.

Other notes from the game that ended at 12:45 p.m. ...

-- It was hard to notice Igor Grigorenko, who skated with Mark Hartigan and Aaron Downey. Grigorenko even missed the net on his shootout, going with a deke, but tapping the puck wide.

-- Defenseman Brent Sopel was paired with Nicklas Lidstrom and looked very good. In the second half, Sopel jumped up in the offensive zone with confidence, getting back in timely fashion.

-- Aaron Downey was involved in two shoving matches ... one with Brad Ference and one with Tomas Kopecky.

-- Evan McGrath played a very strong game. The center stole a clearing pass from Ference late in regulation time and sent a nice pass across to Johan Ryno, who scored to put Team A ahead, 5-4, with 1:11 on the clock. Drake scored with 33.8 seconds left to send the game into overtime. McGrath set up Holmstrom on a two-on-one one-timer in overtime, but goalie Olivier Pelletier made the save.

-- Pavel Datsyuk looked brilliant.

Posted by Bruce MacLeod at 11:49 AM

Things that make Marcus sad:

-Grigs was invisible :(

Things that make Marcus happy:

- "Standouts in the game include Dominik Hasek and Jimmy Howard." If the Wings need anything it's for their #1 prospect to look great at training camp when he's playing vs. NHLers :thumbup:

-Sopel's playing well with Lids. That could split-up the incredibly wasteful pairing that is Lids-Rafalski. Lids can win a Norris paired with an offensive defenseman, so let's keep our other defensive beast anchoring the second line!

-Drake continues to be awesome. Even if that doesn't carry through the season it'll make the rest of the sub-top-six forwards fight even harder for a roster spot. I defy anyone to explain how that isn't a good thing.

-"Pavel Datsyuk looked brilliant." I know you can say that every game, but damn it still sounds good :D

EDIT: Changed the text from italics to bold because it was hard to read.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

i'll wait till i see another source before i write Grigs off...

Bruce MacLeod was critical of him a couple of times during the prospect tournament when there was no other souce, but i'll admit i expected more of an impact...

we should wait till the exibition season before we give up on the guy though. and even starting the season in GR might not be a bad thing.

i also like the sound of Sopel with Lids, but it worries me on the 2nd pairing.

it'll probably mean a Kronwall / Rafalski 2nd pairing, which is 2 offensive d-men playing together. we all know how that worked out with Kronwall and Schneids last year.

Guess who scored? That's right: the Rhino!!

Homer scored 2 and Kopecky in a "shoving match" with Aaron Downey.

I think Kopay may be surprising some people this year. He barely had a chance to get his feet wet last year whe hoe got injured.

There are a few people on this board that rush to judgement faster than poop goes through a goose.

-- Aaron Downey was involved in two shoving matches ... one with Brad Ference and one with Tomas Kopecky

Thats what I like to hear! I hope Downey makes the wings, I'll have the same first name as a Red Wing ;).

I also like the sound of Sopel doing well, and Chelios scoring shootout goals.

Ok, lets remember something here, griggs has never skated with the big boys of the NHL (as far as I know) The speed has to be different not to mention ice size. Granted the smaller surface should help him. I'm sure he's going holly crap what have I gotten myself into? There's been no previous training camp so he wouldn't know how to train in the off season. Do we want him to make the team or try too hard and hurt himself. There's a lot of GR guys that have paid their dues so I'm rooting for them. I say give him a year in the minors.

Ok, lets remember something here, griggs has never skated with the big boys of the NHL (as far as I know) The speed has to be different not to mention ice size. Granted the smaller surface should help him. I'm sure he's going holly crap what have I gotten myself into? There's been no previous training camp so he wouldn't know how to train in the off season. Do we want him to make the team or try too hard and hurt himself. There's a lot of GR guys that have paid their dues so I'm rooting for them. I say give him a year in the minors.

Too bad that will never happen...

Ansar Khan also wrote:

Igor Grigorenko, in his first main camp scrimmage, looked slow and a step behind. It's going to take him some time to get used to the faster tempo and he's not in the greatest shape. He did, however, have a couple of scoring chances by being in the right spot around the net.

Grigs will be in GR for a conditioning spell at the start of the season, and maybe Downey or ANother will be with the big club for the first

month of the season. That will be enough time for Grigs to get up to

the pace and get in better shape. Having seen him with Dats before

I'm really hoping the guy comes good and pulls thru to make it. We

will all benefit from that scenario.

i hope we keep sopel ...

I agree, I think Sopel will fit in good with this team, he's a good puck mover and knows when to jump into the play. He does have a tendency to give the puck up but I definetely think the upside out weighs the down side.

Grigs will be in GR for a conditioning spell at the start of the season, and maybe Downey or ANother will be with the big club for the first

month of the season. That will be enough time for Grigs to get up to

the pace and get in better shape. Having seen him with Dats before

I'm really hoping the guy comes good and pulls thru to make it. We

will all benefit from that scenario.

If Grigorenko doesn't make the team he'll go back to Russia.

If Grigorenko doesn't make the team he'll go back to Russia.

I would rather see Grigorenko than Kopecky make the team. I know that Babs has a hard-on for him since he has already given him a spot on the 4th line, but Grigorenko has more potential IMO.

it'll probably mean a Kronwall / Rafalski 2nd pairing, which is 2 offensive d-men playing together. we all know how that worked out with Kronwall and Schneids last year.

Rafalski is far, far, far more capable and comfortable playing the role of the defensive d-man than Schneider ever was. I'd have no problem with the though of Rafalski playing the defensive anchor to the second line pairing.

I' surprised so many of you are suggesting anything to do with Grigs and Grand Rapids. He will be up with the big boys, or back in Russia. It's in his contract.

Actually that's not what the contract says. The contract says he can go back to Russia after three weeks in the minors. Who says Babs wouldn't pull him back to the NHL after 20 days?

I would rather see Grigorenko than Kopecky make the team. I know that Babs has a hard-on for him since he has already given him a spot on the 4th line, but Grigorenko has more potential IMO.

I dont blame babcock for announcing that grigs doesn't have a spot in the lineup yet. The guy hasn't even skated with the big boys yet, and when he did today in training camp, he didn't show much. I dont think you can put a gage on someones potential until they've shown they can play in North America (AHL, NHL etc). Thats pretty much the reason why i think grigs will get a shot out of training camp. If he doesn't make the squad, hes not going to GR, hes heading back to russia. I'd like to see him get a few games in at the beginning of the year, and see how he can adapt (possibly playing along side Dats).

I'd hate to think that we've heard all this hype for years about a guy who won't even make the team. I think that is the reason we're all pulling so much for him. That, and the fact that he had a bad break which prevented him from being a great NHL player.

I really want Grigs to be what he has been so hyped up as and play with the big boys, but if he isn't willing to put the work in for it then bye

totally agree.

i just to see the kid play at least in the pre-season.

but reading articles through LGW about him out of shape/ a step behind is not a good omen at all.

totally agree.

i just to see the kid play at least in the pre-season.

but reading articles through LGW about him out of shape/ a step behind is not a good omen at all.

If it's not an exageration. I don't find it shocking that his conditioning would be below the NHL level. He's never been to an NHL training camp. His conditioning would be at a Russian Super League level. Give the kid a chance to learn what's expected of him here and watch the pros.

Regardless, I'm not writing him off at all. Skillful captains aren't born from smooth sailing.

Luckily it sounds like Babcock hasn't turned his back on Igor just yet.

 Igor Grigorenko has had problems of late. He impresses with his puck skills, but his skating and conditioning are question marks.

“The big thing with Igor is every time he touches the puck something good happens,†Babcock said. “In saying that, in order to touch the puck, you’ve got to be able to skate. Conditioning is a huge part of that.â€Â

Babcock said the Wings will need to be patient.

“It’s his first time over (in North America) and Pavel (Datsyuk) is explaining everything to him out there,†Babcok said. “It’s a process mentally and physically and it is going to take him some time.â€Â

From RWC.

Luckily it sounds like Babcock hasn't turned his back on Igor just yet.

 Igor Grigorenko has had problems of late. He impresses with his puck skills, but his skating and conditioning are question marks.

“The big thing with Igor is every time he touches the puck something good happens,†Babcock said. “In saying that, in order to touch the puck, you’ve got to be able to skate. Conditioning is a huge part of that.â€Â

Babcock said the Wings will need to be patient.

“It’s his first time over (in North America) and Pavel (Datsyuk) is explaining everything to him out there,†Babcok said. “It’s a process mentally and physically and it is going to take him some time.â€Â

From RWC.

Considering he seems to have Babs on-side, he can’t be written off just yet.

But Grigs isn’t having much of an impact which is disappointing considering the massive, albeit unrealistic expectations.