• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Detroit # 1 Fan

Fight for Roster Spots is on

Rate this topic

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2007/09...pots-is-on.html

Everything sounds good to me. Mcgrath is having a great camp, Downey is having a good camp. Sopels playing great.

The bad part, is it sounds like Grigs isnt gonna make the team, its only the 2nd day, but I wish he was doing better.

But, Go Downey and Sopel!

It may be false hope, but im starting to get a little excited about Downey's chances. At first i just assumed there was zero chance and he was strictly to replace Norton at GR, but now it sounds like he realistically has a shot. Theres better fighters they couldve brought in, as Downey is not a good fighter these days and will take lumps against the big boys, however one thing he isnt is boring like Norton. That in itself makes him 100x better.

I'll believe it when I see Downey actually make the team. And after that, I still won't believe it will last, because when Norton got injured last year, this team completely dispersed with finding a replacement enforcer. The only way that Holland or Babcock will take an enforcer is if that player can score 10-20 goals, and there aren't many tough guys that fit under that classification.

I'll believe it when I see Downey actually make the team. And after that, I still won't believe it will last, because when Norton got injured last year, this team completely dispersed with finding a replacement enforcer. The only way that Holland or Babcock will take an enforcer is if that player can score 10-20 goals, and there aren't many tough guys that fit under that classification.

I think if Downey does make the team he will be utilized differently than Norton was last year and given more icetime. Downey is a much better all-round hockey player than Norton is. Thats not saying much in comparison to Norton, but he's just not near a liability.

I understand completely what you're saying, but I dont believe thats Babcock's opinion. Afterall, he did carry guys like Garrett Burnett and Kevin Sawyer on his Ducks teams. I think thats Holland and Devellano's take on fighters, Babcock wants one i believe.

I think if Downey does make the team he will be utilized differently than Norton was last year and given more icetime. Downey is a much better all-round hockey player than Norton is. Thats not saying much in comparison to Norton, but he's just not near a liability.

I don't know about that. Norton could play both defense and wing, while Downey has around 15 points in just under 200 NHL games. What I'm saying is that neither of these guys are solid players, and that's why I'm skeptical that Downey or any other players like him will be wearing a Wings uniform any time soon.

I understand completely what you're saying, but I dont believe thats Babcock's opinion. Afterall, he did carry guys like Garrett Burnett and Kevin Sawyer on his Ducks teams. I think thats Holland and Devellano's take on fighters, Babcock wants one i believe.

But he seems to want players who can skate and play defense more, so if Downey can do that along with be physical and fight he has a good shot.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Surrounded by talent, having a coach that believes in you and getting an opportunity to do more than just drop the gloves?

Sounds like a Chris Neil-type situation to me and I like it.

IMO, Downey is like a Brad May type. He's pretty good against the light heavy guys and middleweight guys. He'd never stand a chance against the Laraque's and Boogaard's of the NHL. To me, that's fine.

Downey is no Chris Neil but the idea of having a line or roster that includes Downey and Dallas Drake almost brings friggin' tears to my eyes.

some Downey fight clips, pretty good job against Peter Worrell

gettin owned by brashear

against chris neil

vs andre roy

don't be fooled by the homer pittsburgh announcers Roy hit downey on the back with his forearm, Downey actually connected to roy's face but got knocked down b/c he was off balance. of course the pitt guys would have you believing downey got ko'd there.

downey's worst loss IMO vs Jody Shelley

vs big oliwa

i'll give downey credit, he's fun to watch

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

He might get a seat in the pressbox if he's exceedingly lucky if Igor gets sent to GR for a couple week conditioning stint, but I highly doubt he'd play in any games.

Who is Babcock going to sit for him?

Drake? Maltby? Kopecky (his pet project)? Not a chance.

If Downey suits up for the Wings on opening night, something went horribly wrong at training camp.

He might get a seat in the pressbox if he's exceedingly lucky if Igor gets sent to GR for a couple week conditioning stint, but I highly doubt he'd play in any games.

Who is Babcock going to sit for him?

Drake? Maltby? Kopecky (his pet project)? Not a chance.

If Downey suits up for the Wings on opening night, something went horribly wrong at training camp.

I agree but like Babcock said he wants 14 forwards on the roster and I think thats to enforce a competitive atmosphere. If a player goes into a slump or someone stops backchecking, I don't think Babcock would hesitate to change up the dress roster. Do I see Downey as regular in the lineup? no. Would he play more than Norton did last year? yes. That is IF he makes the team.

I agree but like Babcock said he wants 14 forwards on the roster and I think thats to enforce a competitive atmosphere. If a player goes into a slump or someone stops backchecking, I don't think Babcock would hesitate to change up the dress roster. Do I see Downey as regular in the lineup? no. Would he play more than Norton did last year? yes. That is IF he makes the team.

The problem with Downey making the team is that they will likely keep Grigorenko on the Wings just to keep him from bolting back to Russia. At this point, reports indicate that Grigs can think the game just fine, but he's a step behind and a little out of shape. I figure that given a couple of weeks playing and working out with the NHL guys, he will come around and outplay Downey. That's not a shot against Downey, since I'm not familiar with him at all, but Grigorenko's upside is clearly greater than Downey's. The Wings have put a ton of time into him and will not let him go without a fight. Hell, they've waited for years for this to happen, no way they dismiss him after a month because he's out of shape. They'll let him adjust, and if they have to, will play him like Hudler last year and let him get a feel for the NHL game. Plus, the guy has to be culture shocked and it's not like he's stepping into the Russian Five; hopefully, he gets along with Datsyuk, otherwise he's SOL for a companion that can mentor him.