• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
N4C3R

Aaron Downey gets under Wings' skin

Rate this topic

No we wouldn't be... Downey in 82 games would probably be 15-20 fights and we would probably sit around 25, so from a fighting stand point we would be a little below average but physical play we'd be fine with Drake, Maltby, Cleary, Franzen, Lilja, Kronwall, Kopecky, Downey, etc.

I don't think that any player in the league has 15-20 fights anymore per season, and Downey wouldn't either because of his history of injuries. At this point, though, I'd still rather have Downey over having no enforcer at all.

Downey-Kopecky-Drake would be such an entertaining fourth line...

I agree very much so. People may say "who will sit out?" under that scenario, but you have to remember injuries. Somebody always seems to be out at one time or another. It would also benefit Kopecky, as he's one of those guys that plays a more physical game when he's with a fighter. Without one, he doesnt bring much at all as we seen in his time last year. If they were to keep Ellis or Hartigan over Downey i'll be seriously pissed!

I've been a Downey fan ever since he was in Chicago. This guy has so much heart and passion for the game. If we won games on just his heart alone, we would have a record-breaking year. He'll protect anyone and everyone and never backs down. I think it's just sad that there really is no room in the new NHL for guys like him and Boogaard, IMO. I would love to see Downey in a Wings jersey.

I hope Holland was taking notes tonight about Downey. He's done more in one game then Norton did in his entire career here last season. Downey is so much better, and hopefully he get's a chance here.

Sign him now Kenny! :P

He'll protect anyone and everyone and never backs down. I think it's just sad that there really is no room in the new NHL for guys like him and Boogaard, IMO.

Why didn't he protect when Boogaard tried to injure our guys? After Boogaard's kneeing Downey should have taking him into fight to pay the price of that dirty play. But he didn't.

Why didn't he protect when Boogaard tried to injure our guys? After Boogaard's kneeing Downey should have taking him into fight to pay the price of that dirty play. But he didn't.

If you believe the pro-enforcer crowd, Downey's mere presence should have prevented Boogaard from even taking the cheap shot in the first place.

Guest micah

Nobody prevents Boogaard from doing whatever Boogaard wants to do - the best you can do is have a guy willing to fight him to get him off the ice for 5 miutes. A Downey type player might be able to make players like Kasperitus and Lapperiere and Maltby play a little quieter game though.

I am pro-enforcer, however just the presence of one does not prevent cheap shots. At that point it would have been stupid to have fought, the ref had already signled a penalty. The fight could have negated the up coming power play.

If you believe the pro-enforcer crowd, Downey's mere presence should have prevented Boogaard from even taking the cheap shot in the first place.

[sarcasm]

You mean it didn't. I am shocked

[/sacasm]

I am pro-enforcer, however just the presence of one does not prevent cheap shots. At that point it would have been stupid to have fought, the ref had already signled a penalty. The fight could have negated the up coming power play.

You may not have said it, but based on the statements of other pro-fighter posters it should not have mattered if the penalty was being called or not. He MUST stand up for his teammates or the team is weak and lacks toughness.

If I missed understood that or misrepresented this place over the past month some one please correct me.

Edited by Opie

I don't think that any player in the league has 15-20 fights anymore per season, and Downey wouldn't either because of his history of injuries. At this point, though, I'd still rather have Downey over having no enforcer at all.

Here is the top 10 list of players with the most fighting majors in last year's regular season. Full list can be found here: http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/players/1/reg2007

George Parros 18

Ian Laperriere 17

Andrew Peters 17

Ben Eager 16

Josh Gratton 16

Cam Janssen 16

Colton Orr 16

Donald Brashear 14

Raitis Ivanans 14

Shane O'Brien 14

You guys are hilarious.

Im pro enforcer, but having Downey fight Boogard in the friggin pre-season because he hit Jonathan Ericcson a little too hard? My god. Ericcson is 6'5, he should be able to take it.

Downey doesnt have to fight guys like Boogard in the pre-season, thats just stupid. Ask Todd Fedoruk how that worked out for him ;).

Boogard will deliver cheap shots, at his disgrecession because he's Boogard, unless Eric Cairns, Zdeno Chara, Hal Gill or Brian McGrattan are on the ice, he'll do whatever he wants.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

[sarcasm]

You mean it didn't. I am shocked

[/sacasm]

You may not have said it, but based on the statements of other pro-fighter posters it should not have mattered if the penalty was being called or not. He MUST stand up for his teammates or the team is weak and lacks toughness.

If I missed understood that or misrepresented this place over the past month some one please correct me.

Opie, quite frankly it isn't fair that you take your solid position and beat the crap out of people who either mis speak or don't quite get it. Not everyone can be as clever as you you know.

I for one don't buy any of this nonsense because I know well and good that you don't have to jump right in their every singe time something happens. Players save up s*** for the next shift, the next period, or in case you forgot, in DMac's case, nearly a full calender year before getting even.

Those who say he must stand up at all costs no matter what are just fools and I dont' appreciate you pointing that out to them. It isn't very nice of you. That's my job.

Here is a list of people from last season with 15 or more fights.

George Parros 19

Ian Laperriere 19

Cam Janssen 19

Shane O'Brien 18

Shawn Thornton 18

Andrew Peters 18

Josh Gratton 18

Raitis Ivanans 17

Colton Orr 17

Ben Eager 16

Krys Barch 16

Donald Brashear 16

Jordin Tootoo 15

Jody Shelley 15

I didnt see this was already posted. Man I feel dumb.

Edited by Skiing - Puck

Here is a list of people from last season with 15 or more fights.

George Parros 19

Ian Laperriere 19

Cam Janssen 19

Shane O'Brien 18

Shawn Thornton 18

Andrew Peters 18

Josh Gratton 18

Raitis Ivanans 17

Colton Orr 17

Ben Eager 16

Krys Barch 16

Donald Brashear 16

Jordin Tootoo 15

Jody Shelley 15

I didnt see this was already posted. Man I feel dumb.

Ten years ago the top fighting major leaders had at least 25 fights and 300 PIM's. I was trying to make a point that the league has changed a lot since then, especially since only 1 guy cracked the 200 PIM mark last year.

Ten years ago the top fighting major leaders had at least 25 fights and 300 PIM's. I was trying to make a point that the league has changed a lot since then, especially since only 1 guy cracked the 200 PIM mark last year.

I understand the point that you were trying to make. In fact, 10 years ago the leader had over 40 fights. Man I hate the anti-violence movement in hockey.

Ten years ago the top fighting major leaders had at least 25 fights

That is a valid point. Here are the 10 guys with the most fighting majors in the 1997-1998 season:

Krzysztof Oliwa 34

Jeff Odgers 27

Donald Brashear 26

Tie Domi 26

Paul Laus 25

Matt Johnson 23

Stu Grimson 22

Mick Vukota 22

Kris King 21

Darren Langdon 21

Source: http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/players/1/reg1998