• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

No Respect

Rate this topic

This could be completely off, but something that has bothered me over the years was the lack of attention to Hockey from ESPN. I know it isn't nationally popular like the other sports out there, but when you think of the 4 main sports in the US, it's Football, Baseball, Basketball, HOCKEY. Again, I can be wrong on this, but these are some observations.

Visit the ESPN homepage and click on any sport but hockey, look at the toolbar on top and highlight sports. It isn't in alphabetical order, but the top 3 right off the bat are NFL, MLB, and NBA. Top three are fitting, but it is followed by College football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Nascar, Autos, and THEN NHL. Why not set that at least in the 4th spot? Why does the NHL have to sit under Women's basketball and Nascar??

When watching ESPN or ESPN news, especially off-season, we get all of 30 seconds of NHL footage or news if we are lucky, and if something major does happen, it takes them hours to finally post it on the bottom line. And then they will show it every 5 cycles, but of course the off-season NFL news about an assistant trainer that didn't report to training camp in the right color shirt is shown twenty times an hour.

Last year in preseason, I was checking espn.com for preseason scores when the wings were playing, and two DAYS after the game was played, the latest score on their scoreboard was the last game of the stanley cup final. It's like they just stopped bothering with posting NHL preseason scores. Places like TSN keep you up to the minute on news, scores, and anything you want to know about the NHL. Why don't we see this support from "The Worldwide Leader In Sports"? What the hell does ESPN stand for anyway?

Oh, and ESPN not even covering the NHL anymore makes this all that much worse.

As myuch as I agree with the whole concept of the top 4 sports being what they are ... populations in the USA have proven they'd rather watching NASCAR, horse racing, golf, I could probably go on and on, there are many ridiculous other spots which would easily attract more viewers. It comes across simply as a business, and they are catering to the crowds.

- ps. Im not bashing americans and their viewing choice, or atleast thats not my intent. Just going by the numbers.

Edited by arnoldbuck

I guess I just can't relate to the situation with me being from Canada. I just dont understand why Hockey has such a difficult time cracking these markets. Roenick had a good rant about it a few years back. When he said something along the lines of hockey being the best sport out there. Fast paced, hard hitting, goals, fights, skill ... what more could you want.

I understand it has a lot to do with your surroundings growing up, and for those in really warm climates, or poor communities, it was a lot easier and cheaper to pick up a bat and ball that to get all the equipment together to play hockey.

But at the same time, I just watch the sport, and it is incredible, and blows me away that more people can't get into it.

why not I'm American and can tell you they have some of the most worthless tv shows so bash away

Ain't that the truth. I watch football, hockey (when the non-cable channels deign to show it) and Star Trek reruns, then I shut it off.

Back to ESPN. When Yzerman retired, I was at my parents' house, and Dad suggested after the game we switch to ESPN to see if they had anything on it. My sister replied that we'd be lucky if someone looked at the teleprompter and said "Oh, this just in: Some guy named Yizz-errr-mannn retired. Anyone know who he is?"

It's not just their TV, the magazine gives the NHL one or two pages during the season and then nothing. Maybe more during the playoffs- they might do an interview with a player.

Thank goodness for the internet. At least with you guys, I get breaking news, a place to rant, and amusing insights. Thanks!

I think it is an issue with the sport not being American by nature.

Bare with me here:

American's (not all) tend to be very patriotic and some people will only buy a Chevy or Ford because they are American made.

I think that same reasoning can be used for why some sports have such a hard time taking hold here. Baseball, Football, Basketball, were all invented in the US, and have a lot more fans and supporters than Hockey and Soccer.

I think as our society becomes more diverse and more accepting (however slowly) of other cultures and allow other cultures to permeate through to American culture so won't the sports.

Therefore a company/business like ESPN is looking after their bottom line and giving the American public what ESPN thinks the public wants. ESPN is not trying to be a visionary and bring new things into the public, they are trying to make money and put up what Americans want to see.

Of course I could be way off base!

Bare with me here:

American's (not all) tend to be very patriotic and some people will only buy a Chevy or Ford because they are American made.

I think that same reasoning can be used for why some sports have such a hard time taking hold here. Baseball, Football, Basketball, were all invented in the US, and have a lot more fans and supporters than Hockey and Soccer.

I think as our society becomes more diverse and more accepting (however slowly) of other cultures and allow other cultures to permeate through to American culture so won't the sports.

Therefore a company/business like ESPN is looking after their bottom line and giving the American public what ESPN thinks the public wants. ESPN is not trying to be a visionary and bring new things into the public, they are trying to make money and put up what Americans want to see.

You're absolutely right. People will always say that their own s*** doesn't smell, and that is the only explanation for why anyone would rather watch Nascar, baseball, or even horse racing over hockey. Hockey faces the same problem that soccer does in this country, in that it wasn't invented here, thus it isn't as popular.

As for espn, they're lazy and they suck.

Bare with me here:

I know, I know, we have only had like 1 great ball player ever, and the USA owns the sport, but Basketball is Canadian invented.

ESPN is a collection of douchbags that care more about turning their sportscasters into superstars and kissing as much NBA and NFL ass as they possibly can.

And if ESPN broadcasts a sport, you better get ready for it to be jammed down your throat. Notice how before this summer you never saw or heard anything on the Arena Football League? It's no surprise that they started doing shows and highlights on it once they got the licence.

They will go out of their way to bash anything they don't have rights to, hence the lack of coverage and the disdain their writers and sportscasters have shown towards the NHL.

What's funny is that they've actually been better lately once they got back into talks about showing some games again.

Has anyone ever seen PTI? You know, the show with two morons that think they know what they're talking about?

Well these two bunghole lickers go out of their way more than anyone to make fun of the NHL. So you can imagine my surprise when they had Jeremy Roenick on a few weeks back.

And if you weren't a JR fan before, prepared to turn into one.

When JR got on the show he said "Guys, thank you for having me on, but let me ask why you have me on? You slam hockey constantly, and your own network choses to flat-out ignore the NHL. So - is this some special day or something that you guys want to talk with an NHL player?"

He was being absolutely serious and Kornheiser and Wilbon lost total composure and became completely speechless.

They deserved that shot and I hope it reminds them that even though they know diddly about a sport, that doesn't give them the right to bash it.

Sure, the NHL has it's issues, but it's not like we're dealing with crooked officials, steroids or players that are constantly being arrested for murder, drugs, or killing innocent dogs.

Out of 700+ players the most you ever hear about is some idiot drinking and driving. I challenge you to pull 700 names out of the Yellow Pages and not find one guy that hasn't been picked up on a DUI.

Meanwhile, you can turn on Court TV and at anytime see your favourite NFL stars.

ESPN sucks. It's basically the MTV of the sports world.

Problem with hockey is most fans only watch there teams.

That's not the problem with hockey. The problem is with interest.

I.E. I love hockey and the Red Wings. I watch every single Wings game and pretty much every other game I can on Center Ice. Now, I like Baseball. I watch roughly 95% of Brewers games, but I don't watch other teams, because I'm not as interested in Baseball as I am with Hockey. At this point of the year, I'll flip between the Cubs game and something else that is on simply because the divisional race is so tight, but I'm not going to watch as many MLB games as I can, because it doesn't interest me the way hockey does.

Simple as that. It all boils down to what your passion is.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Has anyone ever seen PTI? You know, the show with two morons that think they know what they're talking about?

Well these two bunghole lickers go out of their way more than anyone to make fun of the NHL. So you can imagine my surprise when they had Jeremy Roenick on a few weeks back.

And if you weren't a JR fan before, prepared to turn into one.

When JR got on the show he said "Guys, thank you for having me on, but let me ask why you have me on? You slam hockey constantly, and your own network choses to flat-out ignore the NHL. So - is this some special day or something that you guys want to talk with an NHL player?"

He was being absolutely serious and Kornheiser and Wilbon lost total composure and became completely speechless.

They deserved that shot and I hope it reminds them that even though they know diddly about a sport, that doesn't give them the right to bash it.

I have never really been a JR fan. His 'showman-ship' often was more embarrassing than entertaining. But yeah, some of those interviews he has done have been unreal. And we need guys like him who can call out these networks. Loved watching it.

But its a chicken and the egg senario ... what has to change first? ESPN dedicating more time to hockey to get the attention? ... or fans picking up Hockey, thus ESPN giving the sport more attention?

Its my opinion the entire thing is political. If NHL returns to ESPN, then watch it eclipse NASCAR, golf, or womens basketball in regards to "popularity."

If the NHL wasn't popular on ESPN a few years go, why would it be popular next year?

I know, I know, we have only had like 1 great ball player ever, and the USA owns the sport, but Basketball is Canadian invented.

Actually, I think Football was invented in Canada as well. And Baseball, I think that was derived from games played in England.

I love hockey. I watch as many games as I can. From the IHL Muskegon Fury to the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins to our Detroit Red Wings. I watch the Monday and Tuesday night games on Vs. as often as possible. I really like it when they have a 7pm Eastern Conf game then after that is over go to a 10pm West coast Western Conf game. If they put more NHL games on TV, I would watch them, regardless of whether or not the Wings were one of the teams playing.

Having said all that, I do realize that I am in the minority. I could care less about Football. I might watch 3-5 football games a year, and easily watch 150+ hockey games a year. I was born in Michigan, but I think part of my brain must have been imported from Canada.

Actually, I think Football was invented in Canada as well. And Baseball, I think that was derived from games played in England.

Both football and baseball are evolutions of several other games that were played in the British Isles and American colonies, i.e. rugby, cricket. Neither can trace their origin to a single time or place (however, it is most likely that their origins had nothing to do with Canada) Basketball's different though. Basketball was invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith, a Canadian P.E. teacher at Springfield College in Springfield Massachusetts.

Well with hockey being in the state that it's in, and the fact that I plain out love the sport...I watch whatever team is playing on tv. Some is better than none.

Keep in mind I said "most people". I live in the south and see how hockey is treated here. I got alot of friends who are Stars fans and they'll watch the Stars but thats it. It was the same thing when I lived in Tampa and Nashville. I'm sure alot of people on this site are ginormous hockey fans. I would also bet theres a bigger number of people who watch all The Wings games and might ocassionally watch another team if nothing else is on. So big ups to you trying to help the sport, but unfortunently not everyone else is. My comment above is true, and "the state" that our great game is in proves it.