• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

No Respect

Rate this topic

Keep in mind I said "most people". I live in the south and see how hockey is treated here. I got alot of friends who are Stars fans and they'll watch the Stars but thats it. It was the same thing when I lived in Tampa and Nashville. I'm sure alot of people on this site are ginormous hockey fans. I would also bet theres a bigger number of people who watch all The Wings games and might ocassionally watch another team if nothing else is on. So big ups to you trying to help the sport, but unfortunently not everyone else is. My comment above is true, and "the state" that our great game is in proves it.

Yeah, but it also goes to show what I have firmly beleived for a long time, "Hockey doesn't belong in a place where it doesn't snow." Although, Star and Shark fans are pretty rabid about their teams...

Yeah, but it also goes to show what I have firmly beleived for a long time, "Hockey doesn't belong in a place where it doesn't snow." Although, Star and Shark fans are pretty rabid about their teams...

I live in Dallas and it snows!!! Do you realize that you were talking earlier of how you love hockey and watch it no matter who's playing, and now your saying it doesn't belong where it doesn't snow. Make up your mind. Teams in the south is a good thing for the NHL it gets more viewers. :clap:

I live in Dallas and it snows!!! Do you realize that you were talking earlier of how you love hockey and watch it no matter who's playing, and now your saying it doesn't belong where it doesn't snow. Make up your mind. Teams in the south is a good thing for the NHL it gets more viewers. :clap:

I was responding to your point that not alot of people who live in southern states paid that much attention to it. I will watch whoever is playing, but I do think that the south is not the best place to look at growing the sport. Let us face it in the south and primarily Texas: Football is king. There is no way around it. Does it get the NHL more viewers, when there are teams in the south? I would be willing to bet it did. However, my comments earlier were in response to the comment of people rooting for home town teams only, and the south was the region that you pointed out.

I've already posted my thoughts on ESPN and the NHL in three other threads.

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1142530

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1135909

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1129224

To some up my opinion in those three threads is this .... ESPN treats the NHL poorly, and as such, even though it brings many more households, I'm highly skeptical that its treatment of the NHL would improve.

If the NHL wasn't popular on ESPN a few years go, why would it be popular next year?

1. Sid the Kid getting into all markets.

2. If ESPN has a reason to actively promote hockey (instead of it being featured solely on a competitors channel) then they're going to get off their tush and do it.

3. The "new" NHL is just simply better than the old and should make for a more entertaining game.

4. Fighting in hockey seems to be growing more now than it did the first year after the lockout. As long as the teams and the league realize that a great deal of fans don't mind the odd tussle, it's going to bring people back to their televisions or arenas.

Them's my two cents.

This could be completely off, but something that has bothered me over the years was the lack of attention to Hockey from ESPN. I know it isn't nationally popular like the other sports out there, but when you think of the 4 main sports in the US, it's Football, Baseball, Basketball, HOCKEY. Again, I can be wrong on this, but these are some observations.

Visit the ESPN homepage and click on any sport but hockey, look at the toolbar on top and highlight sports. It isn't in alphabetical order, but the top 3 right off the bat are NFL, MLB, and NBA. Top three are fitting, but it is followed by College football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Nascar, Autos, and THEN NHL. Why not set that at least in the 4th spot? Why does the NHL have to sit under Women's basketball and Nascar??

When watching ESPN or ESPN news, especially off-season, we get all of 30 seconds of NHL footage or news if we are lucky, and if something major does happen, it takes them hours to finally post it on the bottom line. And then they will show it every 5 cycles, but of course the off-season NFL news about an assistant trainer that didn't report to training camp in the right color shirt is shown twenty times an hour.

Last year in preseason, I was checking espn.com for preseason scores when the wings were playing, and two DAYS after the game was played, the latest score on their scoreboard was the last game of the stanley cup final. It's like they just stopped bothering with posting NHL preseason scores. Places like TSN keep you up to the minute on news, scores, and anything you want to know about the NHL. Why don't we see this support from "The Worldwide Leader In Sports"? What the hell does ESPN stand for anyway?

Oh, and ESPN not even covering the NHL anymore makes this all that much worse.

Do you think ESPN reads LGW.com? :P

IPB Image

Before you even respond, I really don't care what ESPN does. I only watch that network for Football. Other than that, ESPN's programming doesn't interest me at all.

Besides, the NHL is listed 4th on their homepage. Wouldn't that be more important to you than a drop-down menu on another sports' section?

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

You beat me to it. I noticed last night that they had moved it to 4th in the list- AND NASCAR got bumped way down.

Possible they struck the deal for next year and are ramping up their coverage? I noticed that this off-season they had a lot more NHL-related stuff than in previous off-seasons.

What I really would like to see is that shortly after the baseball season is over, they move the NHL ahead of it. It makes sense that you would want the sports that are actually in season to be the first on your list.

Wait and see, I guess, but if ESPN did pick up hockey, you can bet they will do all they can to promote it again.