• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

Joe Louis is a dump

Rate this topic

Wow what a trash heap. I think it's time...what say you? I don't think I'm going to spend money going there anymore, especially with HD TV.

Methinks it's one of the reasons why they are selling $9 tickets too.

Wow what a trash heap. I think it's time...what say you? I don't think I'm going to spend money going there anymore, especially with HD TV.

IPB Image

I love this semi-annual thread. It's just keeps popping up.

LOL! Yeah, it needs some work.

I get the shakes whenever I'm in my seat built for a 2-year-old and some 300 pounder comes up the steps and eyeballs the empty seat beside me.

Nah that just the price those seats should have been all along... Oh the glory days when SRO was $10...

Everything is overpriced... $9 is the right price according to the location and OV.

It's just easier to crack a cold one on my couch, fire up the HD and watch it at home. WAAAYYY cheaper too, and to hell with the traffic.

Does HD change the economic dynamic for pro teams? I sure think so. College football won't change much because of the campus experience, but pro teams just might experience some loss.

It's just easier to crack a cold one on my couch, fire up the HD and watch it at home. WAAAYYY cheaper too, and to hell with the traffic.

Does HD change the economic dynamic for pro teams? I sure think so. College football won't change much because of the campus experience, but pro teams just might experience some loss.

I'm sorry I was looking for the guy twisting your arm to go to the games at the joe. Besides by the end of the week the candian dollar will be worth more the the american. I sure hope you're not one of the people saying people here can't be real fans because they never played hockey.

Let's also look at the fact the wings DO NOT own the Joe and although the might pay for the need improvements here and there, any capital improvements must be done by the city of Detroit.

So enjoy your couch and your HD, but please when a new areana is built stay off the bandwagon and do not attend. You're either a fan or you're not.

Guest DetroitIan

Part of me loves watching the Red Wings play on the same ice where several dozen amazing memories took place. I love that. However, the Joe is just so dumpy. If there was a way to re-vamp Joe Louis Arena, than that would be perfect. But if they cant, then honestly, im all in favor of getting a new arena. Our Red Wings deserve to play in a state-of-the-art facility. And us Red Wings fans deserve it as well. Maybe the Joe would sell out a little more if people werent paying 80 bucks a ticket for a complete dump like the Joe. I love the Wings playing on the ice where all those memories took place. But if we get a new arena, we can start making new awesome memories. I really hope they start planning something soon.

Dude, I dont care if you have the greatest HDTV in the history of HD, there is absolutely no comparison to watching an NHL game on TV and being there watching it in person. No comparison at all. It's not even close. Which is why I try to see about 10-15 games a year at the Joe. But yeah, the Joe is a complete piece of crap.

Edited by DetroitIan

I'm sorry I was looking for the guy twisting your arm to go to the games at the joe. Besides by the end of the week the candian dollar will be worth more the the american. I sure hope you're not one of the people saying people here can't be real fans because they never played hockey.

Let's also look at the fact the wings DO NOT own the Joe and although the might pay for the need improvements here and there, any capital improvements must be done by the city of Detroit.

So enjoy your couch and your HD, but please when a new areana is built stay off the bandwagon and do not attend. You're either a fan or you're not.

see The Enforcer i told you it was coming.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

The bad penny has returned.

There may be other arenas out there that are prettier, but few of them have the great decorations hanging in the rafters that the Joe has. The Joe has great site lines, and yes, letting go of JLA is going to be just as tough as letting go of the Olympia was... someday it's going to happen. But you don't have to bash the Joe because it's old and has character. Being profane toward such an iconic hockey institute just makes you look tasteless.

The ONLY thing I can't stand about the Joe is the men's bathroom. I DESPISE THE TROUGH. I feel like I am pissing in a bathtub, and there is always some guy that wants to lean on me because he is too drunk to stand on his own... come to think of it, that may have been my brother.

I know it's "a dump" but there is just so much history there... I love the Joe soo much. :(

There isn't that much history, the place is less than 40 years old. It's not like Tiger Stadium.

A new arena is coming, bank on it. Cobo needs the room. Ilitch has all the land over by the Fox. Its not a matter of if the wings get a new arena, it will be when.

And it will have a corporate name.

Who cares. IN terms of hockey atmosphere, no arena compares. It's the same thing if Maple Leaf Gardens or the Montreal Forum were still open, they'd be dumps compared to today's modern arena's, but in terms of hockey history and atmostphere and nostalgia, its a true hockey fans paradise.

I like the Joe, but once I came out to Phoenix and saw the Jobing.com arena, I thought "Man... the Red Wings totally deserve a place like this."

Not to cut the Joe down, but considering how many advancements in technology and architecture there've been in the past 30 years, I think Hockeytown should have a new arena.

the thing i always wondered was, if and when the wings do get a new arena, do u think they will keep the hockeytown across the center? i cant imagine the center ice without it.

I don't see why not, since it's not an arena-specific thing. Perhaps whoever has the naming rights would have something at center ice, but it seems like both could be accomodated.

Guest DetroitIan

The ONLY thing I can't stand about the Joe is the men's bathroom. I DESPISE THE TROUGH. I feel like I am pissing in a bathtub, and there is always some guy that wants to lean on me because he is too drunk to stand on his own... come to think of it, that may have been my brother.

I couldnt agree more. I dread pissing in those things. It's f-ing disgusting. One way or another, they need to re-vamp those s***ting restrooms. Get a bunch of nice new urinals. Maybe even with those little seperation walls.

As much as I love the Joe and as many experiences I've had in it, I really think its time to move on. The seats are uncomfortable and cramped (I'm ALWAYS kneeing the guy's head/back in front of me), there's no good places to eat or walk around, the bathrooms couldn't be any worse (not to mention the overall lack of them), and Cobo needs the extra room. The Wings are one of the most successful teams in nhl history, let alone in the past 15 years; we really owe it to ourselves.

Is it a dump? Yeah. Are the bathrooms s***? Yeah. But what do you go to the game for? Hopefully to watch the game on the ice, and the Joe has the best sight lines for the game in any arena I've been in. Not the best place to entertain clients, but there isn't a bad seat in the house...

jesus guys, its not THAT bad. I happen to kind of like the joe.......no, it isnt as beautiful as the Staples Center but the atmosphere is electric. Have ANY of you been to Nassau Coliseum? Makes the Joe look like a royal palace.