• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

No Matter What, Grigorenko Staying Stateside…I Think

Rate this topic

As do I.

Actually, I had that feeling well before training camp even began. Here's hoping he puts forth the effort though, because the Wings could use a natural scorer up front to compliment the few that they have. If Grigs doesn't put forth the effort, he'll just irritate me all season.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

It is good to see that he said the rate of the game, I assume he really meant speed, was a lot to adjust to. So maybe he wasn't as badly out of shape as first thought he was just not used to the speed of the game.

Well, not showing up ready for his first, and possibly only, shot with the Wings. If this has meant as much to him as you’d think, he would have been in the condition of his life. Speed...yeah, we know it’s lacking and we can accept that. But a fat-ass with no work ethic, if that’s the case, is inexcusable.

LMAO!!!! :yowza:

Hahaha! That line made my day!

Just because the Org. thinks he's gonna be a top 6 goal scorer, doesnt mean Babs does. From what I've seen/heard, hes going to GR. And unless for some reason cares enough about NA Hockey to stay here and get accustomed(sp), he's gonna go back to russia.

That never should've been part of his deal, after a year in GR he could be a 30 goal scorer in the league, another year in Russia wont help him more then a year in GR would.

I think a season in Grand Rapids would be far better than for him to either be rushed to the NHL or for him to return to Russia. If Russia had the same kinda game, I wouldn't blame him for leaving (though he'd be better prepared than he is already.)

I guess it comes down to whether or not Igor is willing to make short-term sacrifices for long-term gains. Yeah, he can make a decent amount of cash in Russia, but if he figures out the NA game and dominates it like he has the international one, anything he could achieve in Russia would pale in comparison to what he could do in the NHL.

I hope he sticks with the system and doesn't run away like Liv.

I am wondering if Grigs spent more time lifting weights than cardio workouts. Zetterburg was not in the best of shape last year cardio wise as he spent more time lifting weights to bulk up and the result he lost a step until he spent more time getting his skating back.

Just stick Grigs with Chelios and his workout program, it won't be long till he has his wind back.

I attended the season ticket holder open skate this morning and then Kenny Holland had a "greet and meet". A man in the audience asked about Grigorenko and I got the impression from Holland that every opportunity would be given to Grigorenko to make the team. With that being said, I was in TC last weekend and saw him skate. I thought he looked much better in this morning's skate.

From the interview it appears that he is planning to spend this year (at least) in Detroit and work toward making it in NHL. But if he plays whole year in AHL his attitude might change. I hope that if he does not make the main roster he will get some call-ups to keep his spirit up.

Hey all! Been a while posting, but I've been following a few Wings stories, and Igor is one of them.

There are a lot of ways to look at this. But consider this... it seems like everyone in the Detroit brass knows how good of a player he can be. And there's no doubt your team could benefit from another top scoring winger and those in charge know that. It isn't a bold statement (I mean, what team couldn't use a top scorer?). But when you factor in how many Russians have bolted for home (especially recently), it looks like your management is taking a "walking on glass" approach with him. "Don't rock the boat," so to speak because it's already on the dock and ready to set sail for Russia. Detroit is one of the first team's I've seen to really lay down the carpet for a Russian player such as Grigs. You would have never seen this in the past - heck as early as last Summer Babcock was throwing plenty of comments at Hudler. Not with Grigs, and not this Summer... no way.

For those who follow the Flames, we fans have been very excited about Andrei Taratukhin, especially in this off-season as he looked like a lock to make the big team. And he sounded very comitted to making the team. This interview came out in August and it pumped us more as it pronounced his eagerness to play with us this season:

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/art...?article_id=530

... no more than a few weeks later, he had bolted for Russia. It's not like we gave him a hard time either, unless the fans were kept out in the dark on something. He just left...

If this kid could leave, it looks like it's going to be a very common theme amongst the new NHL. Detroit is taking a soft approach, like lowering a peanut to a squirrel, in every attempt to have him stay.

For your sake I hope he does!

Edited by FlamesFan80

I think a season in Grand Rapids would be far better than for him to either be rushed to the NHL or for him to return to Russia. If Russia had the same kinda game, I wouldn't blame him for leaving (though he'd be better prepared than he is already.)

I guess it comes down to whether or not Igor is willing to make short-term sacrifices for long-term gains. Yeah, he can make a decent amount of cash in Russia, but if he figures out the NA game and dominates it like he has the international one, anything he could achieve in Russia would pale in comparison to what he could do in the NHL.

I hope he sticks with the system and doesn't run away like Liv.

Liv didn't run away; he wanted to come over years ago and the Wings kept saying 'maybe next year' even when Liv was the best goaltender in Sweden. Liv should have been brought over in 2004 after he dominated the Swedish league. Had the Wings brought him over then, he would probably be significantly better than he turned out. Totally mismanaged. And ultimately because of their own failure, they didn't offer him a contract after last season. I was surprised nobody took a chance on him, though.