• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hckypete96

Howard to battle Ozzie for backup role

Rate this topic

HOWARD BATTLING FOR BACKUP ROLE IN DETROIT.

NHL.COM: Larry Wigge reports Detroit Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard has been "the best player in Detroit's camp" and might be pushing veteran Chris Osgood for the backup role with the club.

How do u guys feel about this... I would much rather have him play in GR for the whole season.

Interesting...

While I think it's been documented in here, and in other sports sources following the Wings, is that Howard is the future in goaltending for Detroit, and I want him to get his chance here, but there's no sense in rushing him. He's young, only in his early 20s, and has plenty of good years ahead of him if he continues to develop.

Hasek/Osgood for one more season, let's see what the Wings want to do with Osgood after this season is up whether they re-sign him or not. I'm assuming (don't know/just speculation by a dopey fan) in all of this that Hasek will retire after this season, but he's the wild card in all of this. If he can "do it again" this season like last season, he could be back again.

I'm guessing in 2008-09, it'll be Osgood/Howard, but I could be dead wrong as it's way too early to be certain about anything.

I know this will anger the Ozzie fans on this board, but if Howard gets the number 2 slot, that could make Osgood expendable come the trading deadline, pending Hasek's health. I doubt this will actually happen, but it's just something to throw out there.

I love Jimmy, but oh hell no. He needs to get another season under his belt in GR. Next season he can battle Ozzie period since Dom will probably retire.

Don't you mean you need another year to get ozzie to divorce his wife and marry you? :P

Ok im sorry to be the spoiler in this topic, but ozzie has been sharp as hell in the preseason thus far.... And so has Howard... BUT WHAT ABOUT HASEK??? He's looked terrible in net the other night. Howards netminding skills are alot like Osgoods. Id really love to see it be Osgood and Howard. But Howard needs the time to play and with hasek in the picture thats virtually impossible. I think Ozzie should be the starter for the wings, Hasek backup and howard the starter in GR. I still think resigning hasek was a mistake and its slowing howards progress to enter the NHL

Ok im sorry to be the spoiler in this topic, but ozzie has been sharp as hell in the preseason thus far.... And so has Howard... BUT WHAT ABOUT HASEK??? He's looked terrible in net the other night. Howards netminding skills are alot like Osgoods. Id really love to see it be Osgood and Howard. But Howard needs the time to play and with hasek in the picture thats virtually impossible. I think Ozzie should be the starter for the wings, Hasek backup and howard the starter in GR. I still think resigning hasek was a mistake and its slowing howards progress to enter the NHL

Hasek always stats slow, talk to me in april.

yea..............right.........

Yeah Hasek will be the starter, no doubt. And Jimmy will be in GR all season, no doubt.

Guest Yzer19

I agree with Southernwingsfan. Keep Hasek/Osgood and let Howard play in Grand Rapids. No sense in rushing him when we already have two veteran goaltenders in the lineup. Might as well let Howard get more playing time in with GR.

Edited by Yzer19

:unsure:

Anyways, I really think I'd rather have the veteran Osgood (who has been in a starter position many times before) on the team, in the event that Dom goes down. Jimmy Howard was pretty good this past year for the Griffins, but he didn't really build on his great rookie season. Hopefully another full AHL season as a starter will make him ready for the NHL in '08-'09.

Hasek was a backup years and years ago.....in Chicago.

That's a long time ago and he's certainly done a helluva lot since then to be a starter anywhere.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but I feel I should point something out.

Osgood has yet to be scored upon this pre-season, something neither Hasek or Howard can say.

That said, Howard should go to GR this season, and next season, when Dom retires, Howard/Osgood should be the tandem, IMO.

No matter how well Howard plays the last week of the preseason, he will not unseat Chris Osgood as the Red Wings' backup.Howard will start the year with the Griffins and will be recalled only if Dominik Hasek or Osgood is injured. With Hasek likely to retire after the season and Osgood also in the final year of his contract, the Red Wings expect Howard to secure the starting job next season.

Per M-Live.

Jimmy does look good this preseason. He still has to show consistancy over a full season before he's NHL ready though. Another year in GR showing consistancy and the ability to limit the soft goals is what he needs.

Brian

All this discussion about one tiny sentence on NHL.com ?

Jimmy has a good shot at being Detroit's starting goaltender one day.

But let's not forget: last season he had a terrible regular season in GR.

Fortunately he recovered well in the playoffs, but he has to show some consistency.

Guest Yzer19

Per M-Live.

No surprise there. Osgood is having a great preseason and has earned the spot, imo.

Not that it's going to happen, I'm just curious, if the Wings did go with Howard as backup then what would they do with Osgood? It's not like they could send Osgood down to the minors. He'd get claimed off of waivers.

Edited by Yzer19

This isn't really going to matter anyway. I hate to be the guy who says it, and I don't want to sound pessimistic, but do you all really believe Hasek is going to make it through another season injury-free? I was surprised he made it through last year, and now he's a year older. I see it being Osgood/Howard for at least a little bit this season.

This isn't really going to matter anyway. I hate to be the guy who says it, and I don't want to sound pessimistic, but do you all really believe Hasek is going to make it through another season injury-free? I was surprised he made it through last year, and now he's a year older. I see it being Osgood/Howard for at least a little bit this season.

Hasek is not going to get as many starts this year to help prevent that, but that said I still wish J Howard got a legit chance to be the #1, but that'll never happen unless Hasek indeed gets a pulled groin.