• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
union drone

Schneider vs Rafalski

Rate this topic

Schneider has a great shot and reads offensive opportunities very well. Lidstrom surely got plenty of assists from being paired with him on the PP. Rafalski is not known so much for his shot, but is a good skater, reads plays well, and is a very good set up man. What do you think will be the overall effect (if any) on Lidstrom's numbers and why?

Of course, ultimately, what matters is getting the "W" and not racking up stats, but I just want to hear some opinions.

Not sure if this has already been brought up in a previous thread, if so I didn't see it. :rolleyes:

I think that Nick's numbers could go down as they did when he was paired with Schneider. You'd think that if Nick is paired with a defensive defenseman, teams will key in on him more, but that hasn't been the case. Last year he put up big numbers in the playoffs even though he was paired with a defensive defenseman in Markov. Likewise, Nick had what I believe was his best year offensively 2 years ago when he was paired with Lilja. Personally, I wouldn't put Lidstrom and Rafalski together, but we'll see how it pans out.

I think that Nick's numbers could go down as they did when he was paired with Schneider. You'd think that if Nick is paired with a defensive defenseman, teams will key in on him more, but that hasn't been the case. Last year he put up big numbers in the playoffs even though he was paired with a defensive defenseman in Markov. Likewise, Nick had what I believe was his best year offensively 2 years ago when he was paired with Lilja. Personally, I wouldn't put Lidstrom and Rafalski together, but we'll see how it pans out.

In my opinion there are a few possibilities of what might happen:

A) Being pair with another offensive D means that Lidstrom will have to sit back more often to cover for Rafalski's occasional offensive rush. Therefore, Nick's point totals go down.

B) Having another offensive weapon paired with him will lead to a mutually beneficial situation, leading to more opportunities all around. Nick's point totals go up.

C) They end up with great chemistry. Nick finds openings for Rafalski's passes, or can be the late man on his rushes, or can be the ready for the open outlet pass to the blueline. Significant increase in points, especially goals.

D) They work well together, but only just as well as any other defensive pairing with Nick. No real change.

I am a bit optimistic. Some of Nick's best years were played with Murphy as a partner. Although Murphy was slow, his steadiness and passing ability complemented Nick well.

Defensemen typically get their points on the powerplay. 5-on-5 most of the points tend be assists, usually stemming from that "good first pass" the Wings always look for when assessing draft picks and free agents. As such, I don't think it matters that much who Lidstrom's paired with at even strength. Maybe a little, given that Rafalski will probably handle the puck more than Markov did or Lilja ever should. Lidstrom will still get all the PP time he can handle.

Defensemen typically get their points on the powerplay. 5-on-5 most of the points tend be assists, usually stemming from that "good first pass" the Wings always look for when assessing draft picks and free agents. As such, I don't think it matters that much who Lidstrom's paired with at even strength. Maybe a little, given that Rafalski will probably handle the puck more than Markov did or Lilja ever should. Lidstrom will still get all the PP time he can handle.

That being said, will Nick do better paired with Rafalski on the PP than he did with Schneider?

That being said, will Nick do better paired with Rafalski on the PP than he did with Schneider?

The way I see it, whichever Dman takes the shot on the PP has a better chance of recording a point than the set up point man does. For example, Nick sets up Schneider who takes the shot at the net, Homer deflects it, and Zetterberg for example puts it in the net. Therefore, Schneider gets the point while Nick doesnt. IMO, Rafalski being that right-handed Dman is going to be setting up Lidstrom for the big one timer. Therfore, its more likely that Lids is going to be getting the points than if he were on the PP with a big shot-taker like Schneider.

IMO, Rafalski seems less selfish when it comes to taking the shots, and Im sure he recognizes that Lidstrom has a better shot than him and similarly feels better being the set up guy. Not to mention, I like Rafalski better as a smooth passer than I do Schneider.

The way I see it, whichever Dman takes the shot on the PP has a better chance of recording a point than the set up point man does. For example, Nick sets up Schneider who takes the shot at the net, Homer deflects it, and Zetterberg for example puts it in the net. Therefore, Schneider gets the point while Nick doesnt. IMO, Rafalski being that right-handed Dman is going to be setting up Lidstrom for the big one timer. Therfore, its more likely that Lids is going to be getting the points than if he were on the PP with a big shot-taker like Schneider.

IMO, Rafalski seems less selfish when it comes to taking the shots, and Im sure he recognizes that Lidstrom has a better shot than him and similarly feels better being the set up guy. Not to mention, I like Rafalski better as a smooth passer than I do Schneider.

This is excactly same how is see this scenario. Just like my text.

IMO, Nick will made his goal scoring record at the following season. Current secord is only 20 goals from 1999-2000 season. Schneider ate his shot total too much.

Edited by Henkka

Guest MrSandMan

^ I agree. What littlle I did watch Lids and Ralfy play together.. I think Ralfy is going to assist a lot of Lids goals. As already mentioned.. .who doesn't fit in with Lids?

^ I agree. What littlle I did watch Lids and Ralfy play together.. I think Ralfy is going to assist a lot of Lids goals. As already mentioned.. .who doesn't fit in with Lids?

Apart from the PK? Chelios. I've read it several times from both parties that the two have never been able to click on the same pairing. Strange.

Guest MrSandMan

Apart from the PK? Chelios. I've read it several times from both parties that the two have never been able to click on the same pairing. Strange.

Good thing they never need to. The two greats hold their own. :thumbup: