• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rice

How close was Luongo to becoming a Red Wing?

Rate this topic

We can criticize and second-guess Hasek and Babcock all we want, but fact is the Wings got as far as they did in the playoffs - as in, out of the first round for the first time since 2002 - was with Hasek in the nets. JMO, but Hasek wasn't the reason the Wings lost, just the opposite. What we needed was offense (and two or three fewer questionable goals against) and we'd be singing a different song. Maybe. :unsure:

No one in this thread is making it a Hasek-vs-Luongo type of argument, no one is second-guessing Babcock, Hasek or anyone else... Just discussing how close (if they were) to acquiring Luongo.

As good as Hasek has been here I think you'd have a hard time finding a large number of people that would take him over Luongo in the net this year, but that would apply to pretty much every team outside of Calgary and New Jersey.

I know this -- if the Wings had traded for him I would've bought a jersey of his that day. :lol: (And I haven't bought a jersey in 10 years!)

I still can't believe that the Panthers traded Luongo for Bert.

Well, let's also remember what the Panthers needed at the time, too. Bertuzzi wasn't injured when the trade was made and the Panthers had (and still have) a talented group of centers (Jokinen, Horton, Weiss) -- so adding another name there may have not been a top priority.

I'm sure the deal would've taken more than just Datsyuk... but regardless -- it would've been worth it if Keenan didn't have his head in the sand.

In talking about other potential deals, what about the old rumored Boston one of Datsyuk, Fischer and a 1st for Joe Thornton?

In talking about other potential deals, what about the old rumored Boston one of Datsyuk, Fischer and a 1st for Joe Thornton?

That's an interesting deal to discuss. At the time nobody knew about Jiri's heart condition and a lot of people still thought Fischer could become a Chara like force in the league. And everyone knew Datsyuk's upside.

I still would have done it because I'm a homer for Thornton. But back then it was a tough choice.

Edited by Hank

Mmmm...now were talking...

People seem to forget that Luongo has saved the Canucks franchise. The Wings would have been over the top even without Datsyuk.

Even if Pavel left, there is no guarantee he would of resigned with Florida. If he would have, my suspicion is that you would have seen Gomez, Drury, or Briere in a Wings jersey.

Edited by Louisville

Guest jaytan

If we had Luongo instead of Hasek, we'd have won the Cup last season and would be favored this year. :(

No one in this thread is making it a Hasek-vs-Luongo type of argument , no one is second-guessing Babcock, Hasek or anyone else... Just discussing how close (if they were) to acquiring Luongo.

Not to be argumentative but...

see comments such as:

" Hasek was awesome for us last spring but I can't help but think that Luongo would have made the saves that Hasek's snow-angels let in.

" If we had Luongo instead of Hasek, we'd have won the Cup last season and would be favored this year"

So, yes, basically every discussion about goalies eventually, if not sooner, turns into a discussion of how Hasek wasn't the man for the Wings and lost the Cup for them. Fortunately, the Wings think he is the man.

As good as Hasek has been here I think you'd have a hard time finding a large number of people that would take him over Luongo in the net this year, but that would apply to pretty much every team outside of Calgary and New Jersey.

Even I would take Luongo over Dom this year, except that it's a pipe dream (pun intended) with the cap.

Guest jaytan

I'd almost take Osgood over Hasek. At least with him you know what you're going to get every night.

Not to be argumentative but...

see comments such as:

" Hasek was awesome for us last spring but I can't help but think that Luongo would have made the saves that Hasek's snow-angels let in.

" If we had Luongo instead of Hasek, we'd have won the Cup last season and would be favored this year"

So, yes, basically every discussion about goalies eventually, if not sooner, turns into a discussion of how Hasek wasn't the man for the Wings and lost the Cup for them. Fortunately, the Wings think he is the man.

Even I would take Luongo over Dom this year, except that it's a pipe dream (pun intended) with the cap.

I wasn't implying that Hasek lost us the cup last year. Far be it. But I think Luongo would have put us over the top.

I'm very happy that we have Hasek back, but anyone would be insane to take him over Luongo.

For the record, I feel Luongo is the better goalie. But do you all really think we would have been that much better last year in the playoffs? Hasek had such great numbers for us, that even if Luongo played better, it wouldn't have been by much. Having Luongo would have been nice for us in terms of future playoff runs, but saying last year would have been a cup year with Luongo is pushing it, IMO.