• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Hockeytown is DEAD

Rate this topic

Drew Sharp-article

I cannot really explain this being so severe. I will say I had class and while I was home for the game, I couldn't be downtown for the game.

I don't buy any of the reasons given for people not showing up.

My money is on people being generally uninterested in hockey and blame ESPN and foolish Americans in general.

Anyone think a real price drop is in the future?

Drew Sharpe is a dickhead and only writes negative articles about Detroit teams. All the complaining about the attendance last season and guess what? Detroit was Second only to Montreal in overall attendance last season. So f**k Sharpe!!!

Every year it's the same two Detroit and Montreal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

Edited by Johnny Diamonds

god, that was just so damn depressing. Way unnecessary. "They didn't sell out their first game so now that means Hockeytown is dead and no one cares about the Red Wings anymore". What a crock of bull. Though I have to admit, it was sad to see all those empty seats while watching the game, I don't believe its cause of the reasons this ****** bag is giving. Hopefully, it will pickup. This seriously does need to change though.....there are more red wings fans in attendance at AWAY games these days. Is it the Joe? Is it the city? Is it the economy? Or are people really getting bored with red wing hockey at the Joe? Theres like 4 articles this morning talking about the lack of people on the home opener and it just pains me to read them, especially after such an exciting game. The players even say its getting to THEM! Looking up at all the empty seats during the game. This is Hockeytown, damn it! Come on guys.....this is OUR team and they need OUR support. Something needs to be done.....maybe a rally....maybe an official lowering of ticket prices.......but definitely something. Cause I'll be damned if in a few years Columbus or Nashville is known as the "new" Hockeytown. I have an extra ticket to the Flames game next week and will GLADLY give it to a fan on this site for free just to fill that seat and support my team. So, Detroit fans, take off that baseball hat, turn off that Lions game, put on that RED WINGS Jersey! and come out to the Joe! Its hockey season!

Whew, sorry about the rant.

Edited by ShanahanMan

All I can speak for is myself, & the reason I wasn't there is because I just bought a house & don't have the money to spend on a ticket. Though, if I did have money, that's exactly where it would go. I've been to the last two openers & it made me sad not to be there.

Your free ticket offer is right up my alley. :P

Wow, the Wings had attendance of 17600 for one game, and Hockeytown is dead? Hmm, let's see...even if they average that for the rest of the season, that still put them in the top half of the league. And one thing Sharp fails to take into consideration? The Michigan economy sucks, AND taxes were just raised. For the average two-parent household with two kids, living on one income making $25,000 a year, the tax increase works out to about $70. Hmm...what else could have been purchased for that $70?

I was at the Joe last night and the crowd seemed fine to me. There were empty seats here and there but generally I noticed a very diverse crowd. Perhaps it was only because it was the opener but I was suprised by it.

Lot's of young people I might add so I'm not so worried anymore.

Sharp is the kid in class who hates whatever is popular. If "3 Doors Down" is on the top of the charts and everyone is into their music... he's the kid running around telling everyone how much he thinks they suck. If everyone is into "E.T.", he's the one running around telling everyone that the movie sucks. This guy obviously got picked on a lot when he was in school and never recovered from it.

I think Drew hit the nail on the head on all accounts;

1. Resentment over lockout

2. No North American faces for fans to connect with

3. Fans found other outlets during lockout

4. Schedule is horrendous.

Edited by Hank

Why get mad? He's right. Maybe all of us here and are still crazy about the Wings, but Hockeytown this isn't. We've lost some big faces in the organization and replaced them with small European players. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but Detroit is a city that wants it's team to win the fights, then win the game.

Why get mad? He's right. Maybe all of us here and are still crazy about the Wings, but Hockeytown this isn't. We've lost some big faces in the organization and replaced them with small European players. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but Detroit is a city that wants it's team to win the fights, then win the game.

Love it or hate it, this man is speaking the truth.

I have a very hard time believing that if "Hockeytown" was given the choice of replacing the 2007 Red Wings with the 1987 Red Wings, a lot of people would be welcoming Gerard Gallant, Joe Kocur, Bob Probert, Harold Snepts and a pre-prime Steve Yzerman back into their arms.

Detroit is a blue-collar town and we like our blue-collar hockey.

The Wings sacrificed 1st round draft picks to build Cup winning teams. I would never give that away. But what that did was force the braintrust to find steals in later rounds. And most of those steals are found in Europe.

Since the lockout ended Jim Nill has done a good job with drafting more North American players. But it's going to be a few years before they come into the flock.

If the Wings can't sellout with a Championship calibre team then maybe Illitch will be looking to take less talent and success for more crash-and-bang hockey.

god, that was just so damn depressing. Way unnecessary. "They didn't sell out their first game so now that means Hockeytown is dead and no one cares about the Red Wings anymore". What a crock of bull. Though I have to admit, it was sad to see all those empty seats while watching the game, I don't believe its cause of the reasons this ****** bag is giving. Hopefully, it will pickup. This seriously does need to change though.....there are more red wings fans in attendance at AWAY games these days. Is it the Joe? Is it the city? Is it the economy? Or are people really getting bored with red wing hockey at the Joe? Theres like 4 articles this morning talking about the lack of people on the home opener and it just pains me to read them, especially after such an exciting game. The players even say its getting to THEM! Looking up at all the empty seats during the game. This is Hockeytown, damn it! Come on guys.....this is OUR team and they need OUR support. Something needs to be done.....maybe a rally....maybe an official lowering of ticket prices.......but definitely something. Cause I'll be damned if in a few years Columbus or Nashville is known as the "new" Hockeytown. I have an extra ticket to the Flames game next week and will GLADLY give it to a fan on this site for free just to fill that seat and support my team. So, Detroit fans, take off that baseball hat, turn off that Lions game, put on that RED WINGS Jersey! and come out to the Joe! Its hockey season!

Whew, sorry about the rant.

hey im always willing to take a free ticket,prolly wont be able to afford one til next month.thanks.HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN we will alwaysbe hockeytown

Everything is speculation, however, regardless of the reason there is an obvious drop in attendance, even without the official numbers you can clearly see the empty seats throughout the Joe. The problem is not going to just resolve itself, the organization needs to step up and do something about it. The Joe used to be feared by opponents, now you can barely sustain a "LETS GO RED WINGS" chant.

Edited by Ozzie30

Maybe I shouldn't be the one offering up opinions on this seeing as that I don't live in Detroit, but from what I've seen when I visit for Wings games is that the economy is every bit as poor as I read about. However, its pretty tough to blame that when the Tigers, Lions and Pistons are selling out like crazy.

So what's the reason? Here's NFM's thought (and Drew Sharp didn't hit on it until the very end of his article). Wings fans are spoiled! That's right, spoiled! This team has longest current streak of playoff appearances in all of professional sports (16 years and counting). With that, IMO they have delievered by bringing home the championship 3 times during that span. The problem is, its starting to look more and more like the Wings need to miss the playoffs in order to get fan buzz for the following season.

For example: Does anyone remember how financially poor the Sabres were doing a mere 7 years ago. No one was showing up to their games, and the team was on life support. Hell, there was talk of moving the team! Anyway, all of a sudden the team builds a foundation, becomes a solid team 2 years ago, and an elite team last year, and the entire city is all of a sudden nuts about the team. Now there's even talk about Buffalo being the biggest hockey crazed city.

Anyway, Wings fans aren't as excited about this team because they've come to expect this kind of success. It's really sad, but its also understandable in some regards. Think back 12 years ago. Do you remember how excited you were when the Wings made it to the finals? I couldn't contain myself. When they wen't on to lose the Cup, its all I thought about until the upcoming season. Then, two seasons later, they were finally able to bring it home. I remember how fulfilling and satisfying it was. Watching them since the late 80's all the way until they finally were able to finish a long awaited Stanley Cup championship, was everything that people want to see.

Unfortunately, people don't get that buzz when you constantly finish on the top of the standings. Again, the buzz loses its luster in time, and people just come to expect it.

I can say i do my part because i am a season ticket holder but come on. So they don't sell out their home opener. yes that sucks but it doesn't mean were dead. i think Detroit has had it too good for too long and thats why people are freaking out. most teams out there have to deal with not selling out all the time. As for the lions always selling out, its a little different. The lions sell out every game but half the fans come there to watch and cheer on the other team.

Has fan interest really dropped? I was at a bar in Ferndale watching the game. The bar was packed and there was quite a lot of cheering for each Wings' goal and for Drake's fight. When the game ended, the place emptied out.

high ticket prices + bad economy + several Detroit teams all performing well = empty seats at the Joe

It's simply a lot cheaper and easier to sit in front of the big screen TV and divert the money that would have been spent on tickets to drinking beer instead.

I think you are 100% right. I sat in my house last night watching the game wishing the wings played a style like the ducks. I dont care what you say the wings win yes thats great. But they are the most boring team to watch you can almost predict what they will do. I think the lack of NA players is the reason they are like this. I love the wings but i dont like there style. I wont be making the trip to dallas this year like i always do to watch the wings. Just not worth it. The sad thing Dallas can sell out most of there games and it in Texas .

haha perhaps the seats aren't full becuse of the lines for the troughs, beer or pizza or just walking around.

Time got get over it everybody... Mr. Moneybags is still RACKING in the money, no need to feel bad for empty seats. I mean yeah poor him, he might have to settle for a less firm bed of $$'s to sleep on at night... poor him.

I am so sick of reading about this stuff. People don't care blah blah blah blah. tell that the to the fans at BW3's in Fountain Walk. They care, they just don't want to to deal with the hastle of lining Mr. Moneybags wallet.

I mean s***.. I don't have thousands of fan outside my cubical cheering me on every single day... do i feel shafted? do i not perform my job the same way? The players are working they will do there job with or without a live audience. And they will get adaqutely rewarded in pay.

Has fan interest really dropped? I was at a bar in Ferndale watching the game. The bar was packed and there was quite a lot of cheering for each Wings' goal and for Drake's fight. When the game ended, the place emptied out.

My case and POINT!

I would rather put my money into the local joints than some money whores pocket personaly.

Edited by OsGOD

It's a shame how fickle the fans are. This argument about "north american" players has problems that can't easily be corrected. If the Wings want highly talented north american players they will have to have higher draft picks in order to get them. That means losing seasons. And when the Wings start losing, everyone will blast them for not winning and say that's why they're not going to the games

Like it or not, the management of this team has kept us right at the door of the stanely cup for 16 years in a row. Instead of going through a "rebuilding" phase they simply cycled in new talent. And they did that by getting the highest possible talent they could have gotten with low draft picks. Most of that talent came from Europe, as the talented north american players are taken with the highest picks in the draft.

So the Wings style of play is predictable? I like that. Why? Because it's predictable in this way: That they will win and they will win frequently. I'd rather see a "predictable" team that wins than an "unpredictable" team that "might" win. They've already set a record for consecutive playoff appearances in all of sports and I don't see them missing the playoffs in the next 3 years. Apparently this isn't good enough for people, though. They'd rather have "good ol' fashioned North American players". Well, I've got news for all of them. Get ready for a rebuilding phase and losing seasons. I look forward to hearing your hypocritical voice on radio talk shows when the Wings start losing because they are taking your retarded advice of getting worthless rough and tough players from north america with low picks instead of using those same low picks to get highly talented players from Europe.

I think Drew hit the nail on the head on all accounts;

1. Resentment over lockout

2. No North American faces for fans to connect with

3. Fans found other outlets during lockout

4. Schedule is horrendous.

I thought the article was good too. I always am amused at the reaction to a Drew Sharpe article. Often the first responses, containing many correctly-spelled words, just point out that he is a jerk with varying levels of vitriol.

The Wings set themselves up for this by not lowering prices upon the end of the lockout. They assumed that Hockeytown would be Hockeytown no matter what. Plus, usually the Tigers season ended in mid-July so people were eager, yea dying, for something resembling quality by the beginning of October. Even though the Tigers "underachieved" this season, they were still in it until the last week. Granted, the Lions have had a fast start, but everyone knows that that won't last. Plus, while every Lions game sells out, there's only eight games to sell out!

I think the NHL in general and the Red Wings specifically need to be very concerned about this. Not having a sellout for the first time in 10 years on opening day (and not even close to a sellout) in one of the top hockey markets in the U.S. does not bode well for the NHL.

I mean s***.. I don't have thousands of fan outside my cubical cheering me on every single day... do i feel shafted? do i not perform my job the same way? The players are working they will do there job with or without a live audience.

Well if you did i bet your co workers would not be to happy.

And another thing.. this all coming from a guy who gets FREE tickets to the game, gets FREE food at the game and gets FREE Parking at the game.... yeah Free is a nice thing... I would be down at the Joe 100% of the games... Hell i would even sleep in my seat and shower in the trough (well maybe not that far) if it was free.

Well if you did i bet your co workers would not be to happy.

You would lose :P

We love the attention... We get so hurt that noone cares that we assemble wire harnesses for cars... the disrespect people have by not showing up to watch us perform is a blasted OUTRAGE!

Cheli even said, he knows his bar is packed on game nights.

haha perhaps the seats aren't full becuse of the lines for the troughs, beer or pizza or just walking around.

Time got get over it everybody... Mr. Moneybags is still RACKING in the money, no need to feel bad for empty seats. I mean yeah poor him, he might have to settle for a less firm bed of $$'s to sleep on at night... poor him.

I am so sick of reading about this stuff. People don't care blah blah blah blah. tell that the to the fans at BW3's in Fountain Walk. They care, they just don't want to to deal with the hastle of lining Mr. Moneybags wallet.

I mean s***.. I don't have thousands of fan outside my cubical cheering me on every single day... do i feel shafted? do i not perform my job the same way? The players are working they will do there job with or without a live audience. And they will get adaqutely rewarded in pay.

My case and POINT!

I would rather put my money into the local joints than some money whores pocket personaly.

Well that depends.......does your office offer a fantasy league for its employees. Let's be honest, if they did, and you were one of the players, I bet there'd be fans inside your cubical cheering on your every move.

I'd sign OsGod to my fantasy office team.