• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

Oh, Lappy, you dissapoint me my friend

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Okay, so we just had a thread about how Tootoo is a ****** and Lappy is a pretty honorable guy.

Well, then I see this and i'm thinking, WTF Lappy?

Doug Murray pretty much instigates it and he correctly takes off his cap. Technically Lappy doesn't have to but he had time to see that Murray was undoing his chinstrap and he clearly understands why (the visor) but instead of following suit Lappy goes at him 100mph, my guess is to try and get the upper hand.

WTF is going on in today's NHL? I understand the fights that arise from scrums and hits and guys going after each other where there's not much reaction time. But when you have a situation like this, where clearly the opportunity to have a fair squaring up of combatants i'm continuing to be dismayed by the ever increasing code violations i'm witnessing.

It's distressing to me personally. :angry::(

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/36656

Okay, so we just had a thread about how Tootoo is a ****** and Lappy is a pretty honorable guy.

Well, then I see this and i'm thinking, WTF Lappy?

Doug Murray pretty much instigates it and he correctly takes off his cap. Technically Lappy doesn't have to but he had time to see that Murray was undoing his chinstrap and he clearly understands why (the visor) but instead of following suit Lappy goes at him 100mph, my guess is to try and get the upper hand.

WTF is going on in today's NHL? I understand the fights that arise from scrums and hits and guys going after each other where there's not much reaction time. But when you have a situation like this, where clearly the opportunity to have a fair squaring up of combatants i'm continuing to be dismayed by the ever increasing code violations i'm witnessing.

It's distressing to me personally. :angry::(

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/36656

Maybe he's still shell-shocked from Toto's cowardice?

Anyone that has spoken with me on this before knows that I am not a fighting proponent. This video, to me, just emphasizes the fact that the so-called "code" doesn't really exist anymore in the NHL. It may have existed at some point, I don' t know enough about the past to say for sure, but it doesn't now.

Gah. That was more of a grappling match between two half drunk dudes outside a bar then it was a fight.

What happened to the days of two heavyweights squaring off with their helmets, gloves AND elbowpads spread out in a circle of discarded equipment?

Bring back Probert! At least when he got pulled over by the cops he was high on coke and driving a big ol' hog. Not drunk driving a audi like some stars now a days. That's right- even Probert's crimes were tougher.

Edit- spelling

Edited by Drake_Marcus

First off, I think Lappy belongs on the shelf with Huddles as nicknames completely unbefitting a hockey player.

Second, I think the "code" is not so strict as to make hockey players do the equivalent of lining up like redcoats and trading volleys. We saw Drake pause to take off his helmet, and now - what - we think all hockey players should remove chin straps, remove gloves, tie down fight strap, touch fists like this is Golden Gloves fighting, and then have at it like gentlemen?

I got news, at least when it comes to the helmet....

http://www.redwingsrule1.homestead.com/fil...CARTY-hatch.jpg

http://www.theslot.com.br/2003/029/pix/mccarty1.jpg

http://blog.michaelzhang.com/archives/05/0...yfightthrow.jpg

http://pittsford.monroe.edu/pittsfordmiddl...key%20fight.jpg

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/dat...on-brashear.jpg

If you've got a visor on, you damn well better take off your lid before getting in a fight.

Otherwise, I don't think guys have to take their helmet off if they don't have a visor. Most fights they both keep em on. Smashing your hand into some guys helmet is a hazard of the job, as Kocur's mangled knuckles can attest to.

My problem with the Drake fight was not only did Perry not remove his visor, but he also punched Drake as Dallas was trying to get his own helmet off.

Edit: In that clip, Murray has a visor and Laperriere doesn't, right?

Edited by haroldsnepsts

There's nothing wrong with leaving your hat on, but leaving the visor on is a ***** move. However, if you have a helmet on and the other guy takes his off (visor or no visor) you should take yours off too. See Fischer v. Hartnell.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

First off, I think Lappy belongs on the shelf with Huddles as nicknames completely unbefitting a hockey player.

Second, I think the "code" is not so strict as to make hockey players do the equivalent of lining up like redcoats and trading volleys. We saw Drake pause to take off his helmet, and now - what - we think all hockey players should remove chin straps, remove gloves, tie down fight strap, touch fists like this is Golden Gloves fighting, and then have at it like gentlemen?

I got news, at least when it comes to the helmet....

http://www.redwingsrule1.homestead.com/fil...CARTY-hatch.jpg

http://www.theslot.com.br/2003/029/pix/mccarty1.jpg

http://blog.michaelzhang.com/archives/05/0...yfightthrow.jpg

http://pittsford.monroe.edu/pittsfordmiddl...key%20fight.jpg

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/dat...on-brashear.jpg

Well, your point might have some relevance if you took into account that the helmet removal issue arises because some guys are wearing visors. Its a pretty simple concept actually.

Who removes a chinstrap? And the rest of your comments, meant to be funny I suppose, don't really do any justice to what we're talking about.

The larger issue here is the code.

Here's some simple rules

1. Guy's wearing visors should remove their helmets if afforded the opportunity to do so.

2. A guy not wearing a visor should remove his helmet if the player wearing one removes his first.

3. If a guy challenges you to a fight, then give yourself some space to square up and accept the challenge, don't sucker punch the guy.

4. Your tied down should be tied down. Its not necessary that they be checked Mr. Funnyman.

I could go on but I won't. People on the other side of this fence, aside from being bass-akwards wrong about everything, make it seem like its a chore or that we're asking the world here. Nobody is asking players to do anything but be honorable. Last time I checked this was one of the most honorable sports in the world, played by men who as kids grew up and learned the do's and dont's and the proper way to behave....even when it comes to fighting.

I'm not asking for players to suck each other off and compliment each other's pecs. Just to be honorable and abide by the code.

LAPPY ???? I can't stand when people don't refer to players by their actual names. LAPPY?!?!? Are you f**king kidding me??

Do you have nothing better to do but ***** about something so trivial?

First, that's his ******* nickname isn't it? Second, I can't spell his name for s*** and Lappy is a hell of alot easier to type than whatever the f*** his real ******* name is. You ******* got that?

No offense guys, but I was at that game and it happened in front of me, the video shows Murray with his helmet off, but he didn't take it off himself. Lappy ripped it off him. They didn't square up so there was no time for him to take his helmet off. They just went right after each other. On a side note I just think its kinda funny all this debate is going on right now about "the code" when I'm reading the book "The Code."

Well, your point might have some relevance if you took into account that the helmet removal issue arises because some guys are wearing visors. Its a pretty simple concept actually.

Who removes a chinstrap? And the rest of your comments, meant to be funny I suppose, don't really do any justice to what we're talking about.

The larger issue here is the code.

Here's some simple rules

1. Guy's wearing visors should remove their helmets if afforded the opportunity to do so.

2. A guy not wearing a visor should remove his helmet if the player wearing one removes his first.

3. If a guy challenges you to a fight, then give yourself some space to square up and accept the challenge, don't sucker punch the guy.

4. Your tied down should be tied down. Its not necessary that they be checked Mr. Funnyman.

I could go on but I won't. People on the other side of this fence, aside from being bass-akwards wrong about everything, make it seem like its a chore or that we're asking the world here. Nobody is asking players to do anything but be honorable. Last time I checked this was one of the most honorable sports in the world, played by men who as kids grew up and learned the do's and dont's and the proper way to behave....even when it comes to fighting.

I'm not asking for players to suck each other off and compliment each other's pecs. Just to be honorable and abide by the code.

Don't take this the wrong way, but.....who are you to declare exactly what the code is? Who is anybody on this board to call it? I for example, take issue with #3.....if a guy challenges you to a fight, then dammit he better be ready to fight, he didn't issue the challenge for a minute from now. But I'm sure 5,000 of us on this board would have 5,000 different opinions on what "the code" ought to be.

haha, does anyone watch "The Whitest Kids U'Know"? Gordie is starting to remind me of a character that Trevor played on there once. He was supposed to be a general or something for the British army during the american revolution. So he gets his army ready and then he starts shouting over to the american army all the rules of combat

"okay, you line up over there, and we'll line up over here. Now since we're the invading army, we shall take the first volley and then you will return fire and then we exchange volleys like such until one side is the winner"...

and of course, the americans just start firing and he gets pissed "WAIT, Now we owe you two shots, so you stand there and let us get our two shots and THEN it's you're turn to fire"

the americans fire again and he gets even more infuriated and it goes on like that throughout the skit.

------------------------------

Now, i'm not saying it's right to jump right on a guy, or start swinging before his gloves are off, or fight with a visor on. But it is hockey, it is fighting, you have to expect anything if you're going to be out their trying to start s***. Think of all the incidents that have happened on the ice in the last 20 years, why would anyone think that every time out on the ice, everything is going to go by the code?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Don't take this the wrong way, but.....who are you to declare exactly what the code is? Who is anybody on this board to call it? I for example, take issue with #3.....if a guy challenges you to a fight, then dammit he better be ready to fight, he didn't issue the challenge for a minute from now. But I'm sure 5,000 of us on this board would have 5,000 different opinions on what "the code" ought to be.

You take issue with #3? I could see that. Of course it all depends on what you feel is proper. In my experience, if a guy wants to fight me and is overtly aggressive, maybe cross-checks me up high, then IMO he's waived any right for me to engage him in a certain why. Specifically, I would drop the gloves and start swinging. One example might be the McCarty/Lemieux incident. If McCarty's glove-on punch hadn't sent Lemieux to the ice, I would see nothing wrong with Lemieux just hauling off back and swinging, no squaring up necessary there. On the flip side, if a guy is following me around asking me if I want to go, by all means there's nothing stopping me from acknowledging him and accepting the challenge, then squaring up for an even go. In the Lappy/Tootoo fight, Lappy was following Tootoo around verbally challenging him. Tootoo should have made the space for them to square up and start evenly and not wheel around with a sucker punch. I guarantee you the majority of people on here will agree with that statement. That's the gist of #3.

Who am I to say what the code is? Nobody I guess. But I have every confidence from experience and owning probably one of the largest collection of fight tapes and DVD's and reading most any book related to hockey fights that I know what i'm talking about. They don't give out PhD's for hockey code analyzing. You either know what you're talking about or you're full of s***. I sleep well at night after expressing my opinions on fighting and the code. Take that for what its worth I suppose.

haha, does anyone watch "The Whitest Kids U'Know"? Gordie is starting to remind me of a character that Trevor played on there once. He was supposed to be a general or something for the British army during the american revolution. So he gets his army ready and then he starts shouting over to the american army all the rules of combat

"okay, you line up over there, and we'll line up over here. Now since we're the invading army, we shall take the first volley and then you will return fire and then we exchange volleys like such until one side is the winner"...

and of course, the americans just start firing and he gets pissed "WAIT, Now we owe you two shots, so you stand there and let us get our two shots and THEN it's you're turn to fire"

the americans fire again and he gets even more infuriated and it goes on like that throughout the skit.

------------------------------

Now, i'm not saying it's right to jump right on a guy, or start swinging before his gloves are off, or fight with a visor on. But it is hockey, it is fighting, you have to expect anything if you're going to be out their trying to start s***. Think of all the incidents that have happened on the ice in the last 20 years, why would anyone think that every time out on the ice, everything is going to go by the code?

Did I ever say that I think everything is going to go by the code? See, there's a big difference between calling out code violations and being idealistic and thinking everything is going to be perfect all the time. I'm just commenting on things I see out there that I don't like and don't think are in agreement with the code. You're just unhappy becuase I keep calling out that f***ed up looking little whatever he is Inuit because he's your playgirl pin up boy. I can't help that you stroke yourself to a poster of his naked, glistening body hanging over your bed. So you can't take the criticism of him coming from everywhere on the planet outside Smashvegas. I get it. You're offended that I don't blow your golden boy like you do. Cool.

Hey, at least your team is doing well on the ice. Nothing like listening to Pete and Terry or whatever the f*** their names are cry and beg during telecasts to get people to buy tickets for weekend games. HA! I so get a kick out of them when they beg "hey fans, come on out, only 8,000 tickets left", its gonna be fun for the kiddies.

When you lose your team, will you still come visit? I really hope so. I'd miss all this friendly bantering back and forth.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

While I don't know how accurate Legion's analogy was...I would say you stepped a little over the line here.

What is it? I didn't abide by the code I guess, huh? Well, take a gander, not a single post in this thread from Legionairre and then his first post he tucks what he has to say at the bottom and basically comes in trolling at me. I look at it this way, if you come in trolling you get what you get. I make no apologies to somebody like Legionairre. I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's patoot either so who cares. So long as he continues to troll and attack me personally, I'll keep firing back. I don't turn the other cheek. It's not in me.

What is it? I didn't abide by the code I guess, huh? Well, take a gander, not a single post in this thread from Legionairre and then his first post he tucks what he has to say at the bottom and basically comes in trolling at me. I look at it this way, if you come in trolling you get what you get. I make no apologies to somebody like Legionairre. I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's patoot either so who cares. So long as he continues to troll and attack me personally, I'll keep firing back. I don't turn the other cheek. It's not in me.

I didn't see anything terrible in Legion's post. It was kind of a funny jab. Yours, however, was an all-out attack, hence the edit. Can you lighten up just a little, please?

What happened to the days of two heavyweights squaring off with their helmets, gloves AND elbowpads spread out in a circle of discarded equipment?

The fight strap on the jersey pretty much in end to that, another ingenious idea by the league. You never seen someone pull a jersey over someones head anymore.

Another side note: more people now aactually tighten there helmet to there head. Back when Helmets had just become mandatory people were keeping the chin strap very loose.

yup, I really attacked you! :thumbdown:

none of your previous posts have indicated that you're the one who can't handle the argument. I guess it's all my fault, i'm like Tootoo that way. You wanted to have a nice clean argument on the subject, but I just had to go and sucker punch you by comparing you with TWKUK. I mean, you didn't do anything to incite that, and i'm just a worthless POS who can't go by the code of the message board.

Anyway, you're right. I don't really care. But you're still way off on losing our team. The new lease deal should be approved this week and the new ownership will be in place soon. Then they can come in and get this ship back on course. Leipold hasn't done squat, no budgets for anything, there has been zero advertising through the summer and into the season. All of the hockey talk in town has come from outside parties such as Our Team, and Save the Preds. Many bright minds in the organization have quit because they are tired of having no direction from Leipold while he's still the owner. As soon as the local group and Boots come in they'll start straightening things out. There's even talk that AEG is going to come on board as arena management which really boosts the whole deal.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I didn't see anything terrible in Legion's post. It was kind of a funny jab. Yours, however, was an all-out attack, hence the edit. Can you lighten up just a little, please?

I suppose its a funny jab if it isn't directed at you personally. I thought trolling was trolling. Why post any of that stuff he did and just stick with his comments about the subject matter? Was what he posted likening me to some fictional character necessary? What if I posted that he reminds me of Jed Clampett (sp?) and then at the bottom, oh by the way, I like hockey.

Sure, I can tone it down a bit. No problem. If he continues the personal attacks I fully expect the mods to say something about it.

edit: actually, scratch that last comment. Hee Haw can say whatever he pleases. It's all just funny jabs right. Like me, from now on calling Legion Hee Haw. There's nothing obscenely wrong about that is there? So i'll be the british dolt general and he'll be hee haw from now on.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

Guest GordieSid&Ted

you must have gotten a hold of my family picnic photos...

IPB Image

NICE! :lol:

Do me a favor and PM me any personal slights. I'll do the same. Let's keep the thread talk about hockey and bashing Jordin Tootoo and everything will be just peachy around here. Besides, you're taking valuable arguing time away from me and BB91 discussing whether or not we can get Feds back here.

um Legionnaire11 that photo is photoshopped and its not that hard to tell. the tattoo looks fake and even comes off the arm. and why would you wear a name tag to a family get together?

btw their is a pink hat floating in the background which further proves this pic is fake!

um Legionnaire11 that photo is photoshopped and its not that hard to tell. the tattoo looks fake and even comes off the arm. and why would you wear a name tag to a family get together?

btw their is a pink hat floating in the background which further proves this pic is fake!

Yeah, he's a fake! :rolleyes:

Nothing gets by you.