• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Shoot out goal

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone can throw any light on the shoot out goal stats.

It seems a bit confussing that the winning goal is added to the teams overall

goals scored or conceeded if you lose. But the player who scores the goal

doesn't get credited for it. I know that if a shoot out goes a few rounds you

could get a final shoot out score of 8-7, so not all the players are going to be

credited with the goal. So why is it added to the teams goal difference? Surely

it is either a goal or it isn't not both as it is in the current format.

Before tonights game we had scored 5 and let in 5 but the league shows 6-6. Not a big

issue I know, but could it be a major factor at the end of the season when the

goals scored could get a team a playoff spot. Any one have the actual lowdown?

yes, but imagine if the shoot out went on and on with both team scoring goals. what if both teams had 200 shootout goals, and finally the winning team got 201 shootout goals. it wouldnt be fair to add 201 goals to the winners goal difference because most teams dont score many more than 200 goals all season.

I was wondering if anyone can throw any light on the shoot out goal stats.

It seems a bit confussing that the winning goal is added to the teams overall

goals scored or conceeded if you lose. But the player who scores the goal

doesn't get credited for it. I know that if a shoot out goes a few rounds you

could get a final shoot out score of 8-7, so not all the players are going to be

credited with the goal. So why is it added to the teams goal difference? Surely

it is either a goal or it isn't not both as it is in the current format.

Before tonights game we had scored 5 and let in 5 but the league shows 6-6. Not a big

issue I know, but could it be a major factor at the end of the season when the

goals scored could get a team a playoff spot. Any one have the actual lowdown?

I'm not sure why the NHL chose not to include the shootout goals in the skaters stats. Rule 84.4 is the shootout rule, it states that the losing goaltender tacked with another goal against in his personal stats, so not giving the players a goal seems odd, if not unfair.

I'm not sure why the NHL chose not to include the shootout goals in the skaters stats. Rule 84.4 is the shootout rule, it states that the losing goaltender tacked with another goal against in his personal stats, so not giving the players a goal seems odd, if not unfair.

I didn't know about that rule. Very interesting. Before I knew about this I was opposed to counting shootout statistics, but if the losing goalie gets an additional goal against, I think the player who scored the game winning shootout goal should at least get credit for that.

Has there been a recent bout of insanity? Why on earth would a guy scoring a goal in the shootout be credited for it in his personal stats? Or a goalie giving up a goal. I could be wrong, but I have to think that the goalie is not credited for a goal against either, if they are, that is completely absurd.

I don't think it should count for a team's goals for or against stat either, but it probably does.

Has there been a recent bout of insanity? Why on earth would a guy scoring a goal in the shootout be credited for it in his personal stats? Or a goalie giving up a goal. I could be wrong, but I have to think that the goalie is not credited for a goal against either, if they are, that is completely absurd.

I don't think it should count for a team's goals for or against stat either, but it probably does.

I didn't think it counted in those stats either.

They don't track them because the shootout is completely created event that has little to do with actual hockey. It would be unfair to count a shootout goal in either a player or goalies real game stats.

They don't track them because the shootout is completely created event that has little to do with actual hockey. It would be unfair to count a shootout goal in either a player or goalies real game stats.

I agree, and I don't think that it should count for the team's total goals scored on the season either. It doesn't make sense to give a team an extra goal for the season totals, if no player actually scored that goal.

Correct, SO goals and saves are not added to the stats.

Something I would like the NHL to add though is SO stats as a seperate catagory as well as expand PP/PK stats (either +/- or a % effeective). I'm pretty sure they exist in some form or another already because they can be useful when talking contracts.

Correct, SO goals and saves are not added to the stats.

Something I would like the NHL to add though is SO stats as a seperate catagory as well as expand PP/PK stats (either +/- or a % effeective). I'm pretty sure they exist in some form or another already because they can be useful when talking contracts.

Rule 84.4

The losing goaltender is charged an extra goal against.

Check it out.

Rule 84.4

The losing goaltender is charged an extra goal against.

Check it out.

Checked and...

Actually 2nd from the last para under that rule says that the losing goaltender will not be charged with an extra goal against.

To me, the only reason they have the shootout is so there aren't ties. It's just a way for one team to get another point so I don't think the NHL would want any sort of stat from the shootout counting towards regulation ( and overtime) stats.

If the losing goalie gets "credit" for allowing the goal that loses in the shootoout, why doesn't Dom have 8 goals allowed (has 7)? They have "allowed" 8 as a team due to the SO loss against CHI.

Maybe I should have read the rest of the posts!!

Edited by pjgj13