• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sirdrake

something odd i noticed about holmstroms padding...

Rate this topic

...during an interview at the end of the last game tomas holmstrom was being interviewed sans jersey. he still had his padding on but i noticed he doesnt wear any frontal padding, just shoulder pads.

his style of play deals with standing in front of shots, isn't it dangerous to let him play without frontal pads? i mean a 90mph puck is more than capable of breaking ribs.

actually i believe wearing frontal pads would hinder his ability to repeatedly fire pucks into the opposing teams bench, and should he miss and the puck end up in the stands he would risk the other team being penalized for delay of game ... :D

alright. i already said i made a mistake about understanding the rules. drop it.

and chris chelios wears old pads from his early NHL career. they are probably stinky! imagine everyone smelling him after a game.

niklas kronwall: hey guys what a game! hey whats that smell

everyone: its chris chelios

alright. i already said i made a mistake about understanding the rules. drop it.

and chris chelios wears old pads from his early NHL career. they are probably stinky! imagine everyone smelling him after a game.

I bet they don't smell as bad as Shanny's pads. He still has his pads from juniors. He also has some of Chellies older pads. :scared:

Actually, Chelios wears Bob Suter's pads from the 1980 Olympics.

IMHO all players should be made to wear those "old-school" shoulder pads by Sher-Wood, or Cooper; like Grapes has been saying all along - it's these football type shoulder pads (& elbow pads) that the players wear today is part of the concussion issue.

I totally agree, I've been playing with some "Vintage" style shoulder pads made by, I think its Winwell - for the past 2 years, bought them brand new from Perani's in Livonia:

IPB Image

I used to wear hard plastic Douglas shoulder pads that were almost like football shoulder pads, similar to these:

IPB Image

I have not noticed any lack of protection with these Winwell, which are much much smaller and thinner - they do allow me great mobility and are much lighter. I can still knock people flat if I have to without a problem~!

IMHO all players should be made to wear those "old-school" shoulder pads by Sher-Wood, or Cooper; like Grapes has been saying all along - it's these football type shoulder pads (& elbow pads) that the players wear today is part of the concussion issue.

agreed completely - back when I played, I wore the hard plastic killer pads at first and noticed that not only could I hit just as hard and be just as protected with the softer pads (older style), but my mobility increased as well - there's no need or place in the game for those hard plastic pads...

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I agree with all, unless you're a goalie, you shouldn't have hard armour.

I'm not even sure what my pads are anymore. There's no markings on them. My cousin passed them down to me. I left them for awhile in high school when the bigger, harder pads came out and everyone wanted to be a hardass. I found out quickly that I had far less mobility and mentally I felt slower. I went back to my old ones almost within a week. The only serious armor I wear are my hard capped elbow pads. Nothing like ramming them into somebody's side as you rub them out against the boards. And aside from them being super protective, they're really big so they look spectacular when you rip them off before a fight.

He always turn is back from people to spit them... no use padding your front if your always going to be attacked from the back....

He had a pretty nifty hookup of straps and stuff on the front.

Maybe his also dropping the unncecesary pads so he doesn't look fat in the in the style jersies... :lol: poor lad.

Grape's had a segment on this last year. I beleive it was during the playoffs when Homer met Pronger's elbow pad. He was going off as Grape's does. Certainly they want to protect the players from getting hurt. But which way does the league do it. I don't think they even know.

This is probably the funniest thing I have ever read, I cannot stop laughing whenever I read it. :lol:

That's the problem when the league wishes to regulate equipment; the NHLPA will in a knee-jerk reaction poo-poo the thought of "downsizing" the shoulder pads/elbow pads of the players (even if it means a reduction in the # of head injuries in relation to the pads in question).

The NHL, & NHLPA will have to have the equipment manufacturers develope a few samples of shoulder/elbow pads for both parties to grade/agree upon; until then expect more head/neck/facial injuries with these heavy-duty plastic capped equipment <_<

I dunno. Unlike the goalie protection issues, the NHLPA is likely to side with protecting the players as much as possible from harm. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think they'd do what they could to curb the head injuries.

In all honesty it'd be nice to have a panel of scientists come into one of their meetings and explain just how lucky the NHL is to not have had an instance of serious brain injury so far with these hits.