• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

grsbmd

Wings to move East?

Rate this topic

I don't know if anybody else saw this or not, but I didn't see anything on here:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0328/1128/rss16

Commissioner Gary Bettman was surprised to hear Wings senior vice-president Jimmy Devellano say Bettman has told the team it will move to the Eastern Conference when the NHL expands (probably to Las Vegas).

In an interview with MCN Sports regarding expansion, Bettman said, "As of right now there is nothing going on there other than the expressions of interest that we have been given."

He said he "is not exactly sure" why Devellano was quoted as saying the Wings would return to the East in about four years after Las Vegas gets its team.

"Business is good," Bettman said.

In a roundtable discussion with The Detroit News, Devellano said the organization has been told it will move.

I sure hope Devellano's right.

He probably did tell Devellano that the Wings' will move to the East and is just denying it for some reason; I believe Devellano over Bettman anyday. Bettman is an idiot everyone knows that.

I don't beleive the Wings will ever move east as long as Bartman is running the league. San Jose will move east long before they allow the wings to move there. The wings are the current big money winner for all teams in the west and they won't change that.

Guest Yzer19

He probably did tell Devellano that the Wings' will move to the East and is just denying it for some reason; I believe Devellano over Bettman anyday. Bettman is an idiot everyone knows that.

Or maybe Devellano is just saying it to get Bettman to weaken his stance.

Guest DetroitIan

I know Im in the minority here. But I want the Wings to stay in the west. I like being in the west. I like being an elite team in the west. I like the west competition. And I actually enjoy watching the Red Wings late at night(10:30-1am). There's just nothing that really appeals to me about moving to the east. Plus, Im a semi-fan of several eastern teams. So I dont want them to become our biggest competition. I love playing the teams I hate so much(I hate most teams in the west). So I really hope they don't change anything.

that would be sweet if it happens. Bettman needs to get his head out of his ass and see that playoff hockey for the wings is brutal on travel having to go to California and Western Canada for the later games in a series for the 1-1-1 part of the 2-2-1-1-1

Bettman probably told Devellano that the Wings would move east, just like Devellano claims. Now that somebody else asks it's different story. Pure and simple Bettman can't be trusted. That's the way I interpret the conflicting stories.

Guest Yzer19

Maybe, but Bettman is a known liar.

and Devellano is Mr. Honest? I don't think so. Why would Bettman deny it if it was true? There is no point in denying it.

Live trilobites will be discovered before the Wings move east. The Wings are good for business in the case of these no-market teams like Nashville or Phoenix, who either don't actually have their own fans or their own fans are too pissed off at management to attend games.

The Wings fans are the ones who bring in revenue. Otherwise, the historic Red Wings and Predators rivalry, which dates all the way back to 2004, would end and the Preds would be in a new city. And we all know that would just ruin the NHL, wouldn't it? :yowza:

and Devellano is Mr. Honest? I don't think so. Why would Bettman deny it if it was true? There is no point in denying it.

It's in Bettman's nature. He lied about there being fan support for a more balanced schedule.

As for Devellano, I haven't caught him in a lie like I have with Bettman. So while Devellano might not be Mr. Honest he's more honest than Bettman.

Edited by auxlepli

Columbus is still futher East than we are, so The Blue Jackets will probably be moving before us. I think it'll take two new West teams before we join the East, not just one.

I too like the Western Conference better than the East. We've got some great rivarlies going on and I would miss the games against Dallas, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Nashville, Vancouver, St. Louis, Anaheim, etc.... All the NHL needs to do is change the schedule back to where it was pre-lockout, and everything will be fine.

Columbus is still futher East than we are, so The Blue Jackets will probably be moving before us. I think it'll take two new West teams before we join the East, not just one.

I too like the Western Conference better than the East. We've got some great rivarlies going on and I would miss the games against Dallas, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Nashville, Vancouver, St. Louis, Anaheim, etc.... All the NHL needs to do is change the schedule back to where it was pre-lockout, and everything will be fine.

There is a rumor going around that Columbus might be going East next season with Atlanta coming West. This is along with returning to a schedule similar to pre-lockout. I posted a link in an older thread.

As for the Wings moving East. it would be interesting to see how well their style of play would work out over a full season because of how different the two conferences are.

Atllanta is farther west than Columbus and Detroit. So the Thrashers could move right now!

Regardless of geographic location, if it came down the Wings and Jackets, I think the Wings move first because of their history.

Atllanta is farther west than Columbus and Detroit. So the Thrashers could move right now!

Regardless of geographic location, if it came down the Wings and Jackets, I think the Wings move first because of their history.

Keep dreaming. History means nothing when considering the move to the east. Like was said earlier, it's all about the money. First and foremost, the NHL is a business. Why move your money maker to the east, that already is loaded with star-talent (i.e. Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc)? Having Pitt. play ATL is going to get them more butts in the seats. Who would the west have if the mighty Red Wings moved east? It's all about money, and the Wings make the non-hockey markets money.

Keep dreaming. History means nothing when considering the move to the east. Like was said earlier, it's all about the money. First and foremost, the NHL is a business. Why move your money maker to the east, that already is loaded with star-talent (i.e. Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc)? Having Pitt. play ATL is going to get them more butts in the seats. Who would the west have if the mighty Red Wings moved east? It's all about money, and the Wings make the non-hockey markets money.

That's right now. What happens when the Wings are down and won't bring the fans to the arenas? The Wings already don't bring their own fans to their own arena, and some of that has to be attributed to Wings fans bored to death with Western Conference teams. I'd be really surprised if the Wings move to the East, but Bettman is up to usual antics - denying everything.

Read what Jimmy D said. "We were TOLD that when the next expansion comes in about five years we would move to the east". Why would he make that up? It'd be different if they were requesting a move to the east but, he sayd they were told it would happen. As for Bettman denying it, what else is he supposed to say. He's not about to tip his hand on the possibility of expansion. Not when they are many many critics who are calling for contraction. Doesn't matter, though. He'll just stab the Wings in the back and move Columbus over there.

I know Im in the minority here. But I want the Wings to stay in the west. I like being in the west. I like being an elite team in the west. I like the west competition. And I actually enjoy watching the Red Wings late at night(10:30-1am).

Those late night games are terribile for local TV ratings which in turn translates to less exposure and ultimately fewer home game tickets sold.