tubaguy

Official Bring Back Markov Thread

Rate this topic

Let's compare Detroit's defense with Anaheim's, based on defensive play:

Lidstrom>Pronger

Rafalski>O'Donnell

Chelios>Beauchemin

Kronwall>Schneider

That's a pretty clear cut advantage for Detroit. Markov being added to that group only skews it in Detroit's favor even further.

As far as the Kings....they have a sexy defense, in that it has six offensively capable defensemen, but their best defensive defenseman might be rookie Jack Johnson. Since he is, after all, the only defenseman in their top six that has met Bernier...

Umm...I wouldn't be so sure about your assessment.

Lids and the Prong are both Franchise D-men, they are both very different, but both excellent. I can't give the edge to either.

Rafalski>O'Donnell, I concur here.

Chelios>Beauchemin Yeah, if were talking about Chelios from 1995. In 2007, however, Chelios is basically an experienced depth D-man and Beauchemin is a budding top pair D-man.

Kronwall>Schneider???? Age is the only category where I would consider Kronwall to have a clear edge. Schneider is much better offensively, and probably no worse defensively than Kronwall.

I agree, I really miss this guy. He made me laugh, matter of fact does anyone have or know where to find that video of him doing the fingers to his eyes.

He is asking for way to much in my opinion, I just hope he wakes up and realizes he won't get that much, comes down in price, then resigns with the Wings. He plays a physical and steady game and the guy is fun to watch play. hes a a tough Russian who doesen't take s*** from anyone and plays hard night after night. plus he smokes :D

ok, I wanted Markov back more than anyone, but this thread is ridiculous... we have not let up more than 3 goals in any game this year and our team GAA is 2.17, not to mention, we are a +5 as a whole for our defense and we are 4-1-1

Like others have said, if anything, we need to add another scoring threat up front

The only thing I would like to see different, is to re-arrange the D combos, not in ALL situations, but obviously, Lidstrom and Rafalski are gonna see major minutes, so split them every other shift and put Lilja with Lidstrom and Kronwall with Rafalski, then on the 3rd go around, Lidstrom and Rafalski together

Lilja had his best year as a D partner with Nick and I think their styles work well together, not to mention, I think Rafalski would be a HUGE benefit with Kronwall

ok, I wanted Markov back more than anyone, but this thread is ridiculous... we have not let up more than 3 goals in any game this year and our team GAA is 2.17, not to mention, we are a +5 as a whole for our defense and we are 4-1-1

Like others have said, if anything, we need to add another scoring threat up front

The only thing I would like to see different, is to re-arrange the D combos, not in ALL situations, but obviously, Lidstrom and Rafalski are gonna see major minutes, so split them every other shift and put Lilja with Lidstrom and Kronwall with Rafalski, then on the 3rd go around, Lidstrom and Rafalski together

Lilja had his best year as a D partner with Nick and I think their styles work well together, not to mention, I think Rafalski would be a HUGE benefit with Kronwall

I don't think our D is performing bad at all, we've made a few bad plays that have led to goals but noone is perfect, I just think we would be even better with Danny and enjoy his style of play and tough rugged personality.

If this was last season I might agree. Lilja was HORRIBLE last regular season. But, in my eyes at least he had a really productive playoff, and he has REALLY stepped up his game this season so far.

Also, Kronwall is doing awesome. He hits... no he destroys people. He's young, and very very talented. Give him a little more time to blossom and he will be a star player here.

That's a stretch. The Ducks, even without Neids, have a better d corp. LA isn't too shabby either. Lidstrom is great, Ralfie is good, beyond that, the Wings have nothing special. The d corp is in need of an upgrade just as much as the second line.

Umm, have you ever heard of a man named Chris Chelios?

and i think we need to clone chelios

What's to stop Chelios from from cloning himself?

I am going say for me.. i want to wait until we start sucking before i say we need him... and by sucking i mean losing more games than we are winning.

Now i think we are doing just fine.. never going to go 98-0 just not a possibility.

Per M-Live...

Markov inquiry: The agent for defenseman Danny Markov contacted the Red Wings just before the start of the season after Brent Sopel had signed with the Chicago Blackhawks. But unless Markov lowers his asking price (still more than $3 million), Detroit won't consider bringing him back.

"Nothing's changed from their part, and nothing's changed from our part," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "I like our defense, we think Derek Meech can play, we think Kyle Quincey is close, we're happy with Jonathan Ericsson. We got cap space (between $4 and $5 million). Ideally, we'd like to put the money into forwards." A goal-scoring winger or a second-line center would be their top priorities.

Same story, different day...I'm honestly shocked that Markov hasn't lowered his asking price. He obviously has an ass-hat for an agent. If no one is going to pay him $3M+ in the offseason, what makes him think they will pay him that now??? Swallow your pride Markov

But see here is the thing.... I definitely agree we could use money to improve our top lines (perhaps bring in Forsberg to solidify that second line). That would be awesome if our second line could hold its own, and we could keep Zetterberg, Dats, and Homer together.

But our current problem is this. Yes 4-1-1 is a very good record, but the 1-1 both came from games where we blew a 2 goal lead. To me, that says more about our defense than our offense. We had the goals scored. We were putting points on the board. We just simply couldn't keep the other team from coming back (broken plays, breakaways, etc. etc.)

There are a few more factors that go into this: 1. Dom starts slow. As the season goes on he will get better and things will improve. 2. Sure we can put up points now, but what happens in the playoffs when we spent all our money on D and we can't put the puck in the net 3. As last year showed, every game counts and if our D keeps playing like this we can't let games we have well in hand get away from us. 4. Mike Babcock. When ever we blow a lead or screw things up, I almost feel good because I know Babcock is going to get on the team about how to avoid such mistakes in the future, which can only make us a better team in the long run.

Basically, I'm not taking a stance. But I felt the need to throw these points out there because I felt like they were being missed.

It could be a lot worse guys, you could have Bryan McCabe and Pavel Kubina back there for $11 million bux. :P

ROFLMAO!!!! :clap:

Favorite response in a LONG while. No s***.. unfortunately I don't have the scratch for NHL-Center-Ice, so living here CBC shows a TON of Toronto games. Their defense is horrendous. Hal Gill? Worse pylon than Lilja ever was. Toskala and Raycroft both hung out to dry since the opening game of the season.

P.S. Not SO sure Chelios>Beauchemin though... :o

now im just throwin this out there...pick up federov and mccarty and then trade for shanahan

and i think we need to clone chelios

Federov was a great hockey player, and frankly one of the most talented I've ever seen. But, I don't think he had much heart, and after what he pulled (holding out for more money then going to Anaheim where he could get more attention for LESS money) he can go to hell

I'd love to see th wings pick up D Mac at the deadline ore before...You know he is hard up too, so we could probably sign him to a 1 year deal for cheap...add some grit, leadership for the playoffs...plus the Joe would be rockin!

Love Shanny, would love to see him back, but it won't happen. He left on his own merit and is on a very competitive NYR team where he is fitting in very well. Frankly, he has no reason to want to come back.

Yeah, Federov sucks! Maybe the Wings should try to get Fedorov, though.

I will admit that while I think he is an attention craving cry baby sometimes, and that the Redwings would basically be throwing away any sort of self respect by re-signing him, I would be excited to see him in the lineup. Because he puts up points, and he would fit well

I don't understand why everyone says we should spend the money on second line talent. The only second line talent out there that I can realistically think the Red Wings could get is Forsberg. So unless Forsberg is actually an option, I would LOVE to have Markov back. It will never hurt to have too many defensemen. Everyone remembers in the playoffs we were a few defensemen short. Now maybe it's just me, but i'd much rather have Markov out on the ice than Quincey, Ericsson or Meech.