• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

3dominikhasek9

Why isnt Osgood starting

Rate this topic

...lets see. Start Osgood and sit Hasek while he makes $4 million. That is why. But I totally agree with you. Ozzie should be our #1. Shoot, he's only been the best golaie we've had since Sawchuck and that is like comparing apples and oranges. Osgood has earned his status here in Detroit and honestly he should be making more money that Hasek...

It's Dom's job to lose.

And as NFM pointed out, it's hardly enough games to make that decision. If Ozzy keeps playing like he did last night though, he'd definitely give Dom a run for his money.

If anything, I think it'll keep Dom on his toes with a bit of healthy competition between goaltenders. And we all know how tough a competitor Dom is.

What's to stop Chris Chelios from just playing Osgood himself without the consultation of Babcock?

This is Chris Chelios we're talking about. What's to stop Chris Chelios from doing whatever the hell he wants? Nothing at all!

Exactly.

Edited by Kp-Wings

We don't need Dom or Osgood.

Kenny, bring back Marc Lamothe from St. Petersburg.

On a serious note, Dom usually starts off slow... But I don't think I'll ever warm up to Osgood being a starter in Detroit again. I'm sorry, but goals from the red line (no matter how long ago they occured) stick in my mind. I'm sure many of you feel the same way about our defensive core in respect to PAIN TRAIN and Selanne last year.

Osgood has played well and will probably, for the most part, split the season with Dom... But come playoffs, I know who I'd pick (if he's healthy).

One thing that bugs me....

Hasek is a 40+ year old goalie, who's been playing net for a long, long time and doing it better than almost anyone who ever did it. The notion that he needs to "get his head on straight" is pretty lame. He's not some wide-eyed 19-year-old kid who's suddenly realizing how fast those NHL slap shots reach the net. Any problems with Dom are entirely related to the fact that he's 40+ years old.

I love Ozzie to death. He's as loyal a Red Wing as you'll ever find and I have total confidence in his ability in net. But that's Dominik. Friggin. Hasek we're talking about. I think the guy with more Vezinas than Carter has liver pills should be the starter and should have the benefit of the doubt as to whether his mental state is up to the task.

Guest DetroitIan

I can say this with pure confidence and 100% certainty. Unless Dom gets injured, Chris Osgood will NEVER start for the Red Wings again. Ever. No discussion about it. No debate. Nothing. Barring a horrible injury, you will never see Osgood as a starter. Unless it's for another squad.

You know, I like Osgood enough but I'm hardly his biggest fan. For the most part I'm indifferent about him. He's a great team guy, no doubt about it. Hasek? I'm not a huge fan in a lot of ways but he's a great goalie and you have to have reverence for that and get behind him.

But...

Honestly, I feel like Osgood's looked like the better goalie since after the midway point of last season. Once he got over his injuries and got a bit more comfortable again, I thought he was outplaying Hasek. Yeah, Dom starts slow, but this year, I've been beyond unimpressed with Hasek and thoroughly impressed with what little I've seen of Osgood.

It's not that Dom's been really bad and sure, say he's a slow starter all you want, but I haven't seen a single game this year where he seems like the same goalie he was even last year. I'm thinking that maybe age may be finally catching up with him a bit. I'll wait it out before really getting riled up about it though. In the meantime I would hope that for both of their sakes they'd maintain somewhat of a balanced split. Couldn't hurt anybody.

Again, I'm hardly throwing in the towel on Hasek and I don't want to sound like I'm jumping on a negativity bandwagon, but I'm thinking that there is a very distinct possibility that Babcock will have some heavy duty question marks to deal with come playoff time. Last year, no way right from the start. This year? Well, I just wouldn't be shocked...

We don't need Dom or Osgood.

Kenny, bring back Marc Lamothe from St. Petersburg.

On a serious note, Dom usually starts off slow... But I don't think I'll ever warm up to Osgood being a starter in Detroit again. I'm sorry, but goals from the red line (no matter how long ago they occured) stick in my mind. I'm sure many of you feel the same way about our defensive core in respect to PAIN TRAIN and Selanne last year.

Osgood has played well and will probably, for the most part, split the season with Dom... But come playoffs, I know who I'd pick (if he's healthy).

What about Norm Maracle?

Lamothe never reported to camp so out of weight that he was assigned to the minors, as seen here... <_<

IPB Image

HAHAHAHA oh boy. Great.

Norm Maracle works for me too! Hell, bring em both back and we'll dump Ozzie and Dom! Why don't we get Kevin Hodson out of retirement while we're at it?

After 5 games, you have to start to wonder. I have no problem with saying Ozzie shouldnt be our starter, but I think Ozzie and Hasek should go every other game until Hasek can get into his groove. Itll keep him fresh for the home stretch/playoffs, and itll create some friendly competition.

It's Dom's job to lose.

And as NFM pointed out, it's hardly enough games to make that decision. If Ozzy keeps playing like he did last night though, he'd definitely give Dom a run for his money.

My point exactly, if Dom plays soft like I feel he did against the Ducks last time, on the first two goals especially, I believe you give Osgood a start and a chance to win the spot.... just my opinion

Despite how good Ozzie played last night, Dom is still our #1.

Yea we wouldnt want ozzie to steal haseks spot just because he can be more solid in net and actually stop a one on one with the goalie now would we? 6 Goals? Come on, ok one of them was an empty net, one was deflected off kronwall, and one was a result the ducks forwards crashing the net. But the other 3 were his fautl, and would have eventually kept the game tied for a decent amount of time. I wouldnt mind seeing ozzie being number 1. But he has to prove himself. And hes on his way of attempting that. Losing to a team that was 2-4 by 3 goals, im sorry but thats the netminders responcibility too

You guys simply amaze me. Hahaha, Osgood's 2 games were against 2 of the worst teams in the league and he won them both, gee, what a surprise. He would've had the same fate as Dom did against the Ducks last night.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. While Hasek hasn't been up to par like he should be, he ALWAYS starts slow. He needs games to play to get into a groove. I don't care what the stats say after 7 games, Hasek is a better goalie than Osgood is and you'd be a FOOL to think otherwise or that the Wings would rather have Osgood starting for them in the Playoffs or in games that matter.

You guys simply amaze me. Hahaha, Osgood's 2 games were against 2 of the worst teams in the league and he won them both, gee, what a surprise. He would've had the same fate as Dom did against the Ducks last night.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. While Hasek hasn't been up to par like he should be, he ALWAYS starts slow. He needs games to play to get into a groove. I don't care what the stats say after 7 games, Hasek is a better goalie than Osgood is and you'd be a FOOL to think otherwise or that the Wings would rather have Osgood starting for them in the Playoffs or in games that matter.

Technically, the Ducks are one of the worse teams in the league. Check the standings (before the Wings game of course).

Ozzie beat the Kings, who beat the Ducks. And before the game last night the Kings offense wwas much more potent than the Ducks. And the same goes for the Flames. So...

My opinion, if Hasek give one away against the Sharks like he did with the Ducks, put Ozzie in and ride him until he fails like Hasek did.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

While I agree that Dom is the better goaltender, he is 0-1-1 against the Blackhawks thus far, so your point about Osgood's 2 wins against poor teams isn't very valid.

Guest lnvincible

To be far to Hasek. he's old :P But if he wants to win needs to push himself , and o better. To be honest when hasek is in net he makes me nervous . Im prob not the only one that thinks that. I raither have soemone who is more stand up , and save for save raither then floppin and hopin to save it. I feel that Ozzi should be the start if hasek keeps doing this. Thats my opinion.