• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
aflac9262

10/18 GDT: Red Wings 4, San Jose Sharks 2

Rate this topic

Something tells me that this is going to be similar to last weeks game against Chicago. It's going to be a hard-fought battle. I wouldn't be surprised if Lidstrom's time is down a bit tonight - maybe 2-3 minutes below his aveage. He going to be hit hard and often.

At least the Wings crush the Sharks on the fashion front.

Pay back's a b*tch - GO FOR IT GIRLS...i mean wings. Can anyone tell I'm tired? There's no way I'll stay up long enough to watch this game...4.30AM - and that's just the start of the first period. EW.

In any case, Wings win this game and do it confidently but they let in a couple of s*** goals in the beginning to make it interesting for the fans...

This is *** the game starts at friggin' 10:30 ends at 1 not including over time! I have a XC meet after school tomorrow so I need my rest, but I've never missed a game because I had to sleep. How am I gonna do this? Maybe I'll sleep during the intermissions. Wait, what if they interview one of the Wings and I miss it. Oh so complicated. :blink:

I'm thinking we win it 5-1

Hank, Datsyuk, Draper, Cleary, and what the heck, let's go with Drake. You never know! :D

How many of you paid attention to the notice at the start of this thread? Tell your stupid and worthless sophomoric predictions to your friends and save Aflac's great thread for substantive issues!

Predictions are not what that not is about. Those of us who read, and UNDERSTOOD, know that it is regarding posts like "GOAL!!!!" or "DATS!!!!" or "pp" after a call is made DURING the game. Predictions are a part of the GDT and have been forever. Chill out.

I went back and re-read Aflac's comment in the GDT.

"One and two-word posts, especially, need to stop." I agree. We know it's a PP or a PK or a goal. Post a comment about the PP or goal, that is constructive and informative. I say this, due to the fact that I know some forum members "watch" the forum for play by play descriptions of what's happening. I used to follow the GDT several years ago since I couldn't see or hear the game, sometimes -- before I shelled out way too much cash for Center Ice. :P

"Please limit talk in the GDT to constructive opinions and observations on the game at hand - that's what the GDT is for."

I SO agree with this. Posts that smack of nothing but personal bias and venom need to be bannable offenses. Ditto personal attacks. Stick to the rules, and make constructive comment about players and the game. Opinions are fine. Just remember that just because you think it, doesn't make it a fact. Nor will saying it repeatedly and aggressively change anyone's mind. DIscourse is good, badgering isn't... unless you're Rob the Badger. :D

Sorry for the soapbox, mods. But you've given me hope! I used to love the GDT, and now it's become a warzone and playground for moronic posts. I hope tonight signals a return to civil discussion and positive comments about the Wings and the game we all love.

Thanks! loooooo

Predictions are not what that not is about. Those of us who read, and UNDERSTOOD, know that it is regarding posts like "GOAL!!!!" or "DATS!!!!" or "pp" after a call is made DURING the game. Predictions are a part of the GDT and have been forever. Chill out.

I'm not sure the predictions really add much to the GDT either though.

They aren't exactly discussion material after all. Some people find them fun, I guess, and that's cool, but it's about equivalent to the one to two word in-game posts the disclaimer mentions from my vantage point.

Edited by Flip-check

I'm betting five dollars that someone posts "Goal" or "Score" the first time the Wings score. (knock on wood)

Anyways, it's good to see that Zetterberg and Lidstrom are going to play, i'm also exited about Ozzy starting. I think it should be a good game to watch, I just don't like staying up so late... :( But the Wings are worth it!

I have to say I'm a little surprised at the crackdown in the GDT. I hadn't seen one that got way out of hand lately. Sure there may be a row of posts that say Goal! or something like that, but this reads as a conversation. It's fun to celebrate when the Wings score.

Is it okay to say something like "That was a great goal by Zetterberg!"

I'm not being sarcastic or nitpicking, I'm just not sure I understand what the issue is.

And more on topic, it's great to hear Z and Nick are the lineup. It's hard to imagine beating San Jose without those two in the lineup.

I'd make a prediction, but apparently there's some question as to whether those are appropriate or not.

(okay, that part was a little sarcastic. sorry)

This is *** the game starts at friggin' 10:30 ends at 1 not including over time! I have a XC meet after school tomorrow so I need my rest, but I've never missed a game because I had to sleep. How am I gonna do this? Maybe I'll sleep during the intermissions. Wait, what if they interview one of the Wings and I miss it. Oh so complicated. :blink:

real men will stay up. :P I've got work in the morning at 9 but that's not stopping me from watching. :D

Anyway, glad to hear Z and Lids will be in, I'll go with my original prediction of 4-3 wings.

I went back and re-read Aflac's comment in the GDT.

It's not my comment, a moderator added it in there.

I personally enjoy most of the comments in the GDT, even if 20 people say SCORE! :P

Edited by aflac9262

I'm not sure the predictions really add much to the GDT either though.

They aren't exactly discussion material after all. Some people find them fun, I guess, and that's cool, but it's about equivalent to the one to two word in-game posts the disclaimer mentions from my vantage point.

Yes, but aside from discussing injuries from OTHER games and predicting line combos (which is still a form of pre-game guessing) what really is there to talk about before the puck drops?

We could say things like "Rex really needs to step it up.", but that in itself is a meaningless and sometimes obvious statement. So, I guess I am saying that trying to guess the score pumps you up for the games, gives you a positive feeling, and hopefully makes you a kind of Nostradamus of the LGW community. but that's me.

real men will stay up. :

Ok, what do real chicks who want to get a fast time so they can get play-off tickets do? :P

And why the heck would Babcock say Hank had a hip flexor when he really had a sore groin? They're completly different. Either way I'm glad they're better.

How many of you paid attention to the notice at the start of this thread? Tell your stupid and worthless sophomoric predictions to your friends and save Aflac's great thread for substantive issues!

Like this one?

My prediction for this game is that hockey players will score goals and one of the two teams will win.

...or this one?

My prediction: goals will be scored, penalties will be assessed, and one of the two teams will win.

Pot to Stu in Israel: "you're black."

I never have found the "PP!" or "GOAL!" celebrations in the thread to be much of an issue either. It's like handcuffing and bolting fans down to their chairs at JLA:

How else do fans posting on LGW show their excitement on the board? I've yet to see people go into overkill mode on announcing/cheering a new development in the game, really.

Yes, but aside from discussing injuries from OTHER games and predicting line combos (which is still a form of pre-game guessing) what really is there to talk about before the puck drops?

I know, there's not much, and agreed on the Nostradamus thing.

I guess what I just take issue with the most is the mindless and effortless predictions - and that's all someone comes to post here pre-game after 20 other people have already done the same. "wings 10-1!!!!! (Drake, Downey, Kopecky, ...".

At least pick people that you have some reason to think will score? Or an outcome depending on this reason or that? I'm not trying to sound like the boss of everyone (a la Crymson at times), it just gets repetitive to see it over and over again, gdt-in, gdt-out.

edit: clarification

Edited by Flip-check

One more hour till gametime. Hopefully our boys put their hearts into this one, and they'll come out on top. As for the posts in the GDT, I know I haven't been around long, but from the GDTs I've been in during games, I have no problem with how they've been recently. If I'm chilling with other fans in person and watching the game, I expect a loud, fairly simple conversation when things are happening, including saying it far more loudly than is necessary and with monosyllabic words. Usually, I'm *not* expecting to see *this*:

*Zetts scores a great goal*

then

*Fan turns to me, chin cupped in hand, eyebrow quirked* You know, that was a magnificent goal. That was all set up when...

Rather, I expect to see this:

*Zetts scores a great goal*

then

*Fan turns to me and goes* SCOOOOOOORES!!!

then

*Fan proceeds to either pelvic thrust, fist-pump, or do some sort of pelvic-thrust+fist pump combination maneuver while yelling and roaring with gusto.*

If the higher ups want to tidy up the GDTs, I won't argue with them. I just didn't have a problem with it before, is all. Just giving my 2 cents. :)

Edited by Datsyukian Geek

*Fan proceeds to either pelvic thrust, fist-pump, or do some sort of pelvic-thrust+fist pump combination maneuver while yelling and roaring with gusto.*

If the higher ups want to tidy up the GDTs, I won't argue with them. I just didn't have a problem with it before, is all. Just giving my 2 cents. :)

Where do you sit during games?

I just want to know so I don't mistakenly buy tickets near there, ever. ;)

Where do you sit during games?

I just want to know so I don't mistakenly buy tickets near there, ever. ;)

Just don't sit in the row in front of me and you're safe. :P

EDIT: What's to stop Chris Chelios from making the pelvic thrust stylish?

Edited by Datsyukian Geek

I think he was sitting next to me one night... :P I tend to get a little rowdy, but nobody minds when a girl gets into it.

I'm glad to see Osgood starting, and happy to have Lids and Zetterberg in the lineup. Now they just owe it to me to bring me a W on my 23rd tonight. I've got work at 8am, and a sick kiddo to handle... but I'm sleeping on the couch if it means I get to catch my boys in action.