• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
theman19

Eating crow

Rate this topic

i'm sure someone who thinks their smarter than me, will come in here and tell me how wrong i am.

But for once i'm going to do a LGW rarity.

That's right folks, i was wrong.

I was wrong about Aaron Downey.

Anytime there was a debate, about if we needed a guy like him on our roster vs. anyone else. I was staunchly in the "what does an enforcer do?" catagory.

After this game (and yes, it's one fight, one game,..i know that) I'm here to say i was wrong. Kyle Mcfairy is a punk, he ran our best players, tried to injure Z and generally ran around the ice like a kindergarten bully on coke. The whole time i'm watching this, i'm going,..man i wish someone would fight this guy. I'll say this off the bat, he's not Bob Probert, but when it was his shift, he answered the damn bell. He went right over to him, said "lets go" and stood his ground. After their fight (which i give downey the edge) the sharks we're complety deflated and the gooniery stopped for the most part.

I want to see what this does for us in the long term. I'm still not convinced totally, but if he can keep this up and the effect keeps up. I might turn into an enforcer slappy yet.

Edited by theman19

You were wrong. :P

Seriously though, I can't stress enough why Downey should be on the team. I want a LOT more TOI for him just to see if there is anything else he can do. We all know he is a fighter. And, apparently, Babs thinks that's all he can do and keeps him off the ice and out of the box.

I want 6 minutes per game.

Guest DetroitIan

i'm sure someone who thinks their smarter than me, will come in here and tell me how wrong i am.

But for once i'm going to do a LGW rarity.

That's right folks, i was wrong.

I was wrong about Aaron Downey.

Anytime there was a debate, about if we needed a guy like him on our roster vs. anyone else. I was staunchly in the "what does an enforcer do?" catagory.

After this game (and yes, it's one fight, one game,..i know that) I'm here to say i was wrong. Kyle Mcfairy is a punk, he ran our best players, tried to injure Z and generally ran around the ice like a kindergarten bully on coke. The whole time i'm watching this, i'm going,..man i wish someone would fight this guy. I'll say this off the bat, he's not Bob Probert, but when it was his shift, he answered the damn bell. He went right over to him, said "lets go" and stood his ground. After their fight (which i give downey the edge) the sharks we're complety deflated and the gooniery stopped for the most part.

I want to see what this does for us in the long term. I'm still not convinced totally, but if he can keep this up and the effect keeps up. I might turn into an enforcer slappy yet.

Takes honor to admit when it's time to eat some crow. I've been there man. And with this crow eating session, atleast you can be happy while you do it. Gotta love seeing different Red Wings excelling!

Guest DetroitIan

no doubt,..i'll happily eat crow all day if it's about wings players excelling.

Now,..i'd love to eat crow about Kopsky and grigs.

lol, amen to that.

Seriously though, I can't stress enough why Downey should be on the team. I want a LOT more TOI for him just to see if there is anything else he can do. We all know he is a fighter. And, apparently, Babs thinks that's all he can do and keeps him off the ice and out of the box.

There is nothing else he can do. Seriously. It's been well established in his career.

Downey did exactly what he was supposed to.

3 minutes per game is great.

There's a big difference between having a guy on the roster who fights because he's out there to heavyweight duel and a guy who fights for a reason/cause. Tonight, Downey fought for a cause. It was needed and timed right.

I think Downey's shift early in the second was a snapshot of him as a player. He hopped on the ice, received a pass, proceeded to pass it to the tape of a San Jose defenseman who was nowhere near any Wings or the net, and then raced across the ice to lay a hit that didn't have any bearing on the play. Yes, he did fight McLaren. That alone doesn't make him more deserving of ice time than Kopecky or Ellis as some have suggested.

There's a big difference between having a guy on the roster who fights because he's out there to heavyweight duel and a guy who fights for a reason/cause. Tonight, Downey fought for a cause. It was needed and timed right.

Right, and that's what we need. I'm not a propent of a huge monster of a player who fights Derek Boogard because Brian Rolston slashes Pasha and breaks his fingers. That's pointless in my opinon. I want a guy who actually goes after people with a purpose. When we play the ducks and pronger is doing his usual goon stuff, i want someone to knock his block off, not whoever plays for the quacks who's a fighter.

Edited by theman19

Glad you came to your senses theman19 :hehe: - this is exactly why the Red Wings need guys like Downey - to keep those A-Holes on other teams from bullying our stars...Too bad Holland didn't seriously consider signing Asham - he's a Downey type with decent hands <_<

Asham was never coming to Detroit.

He had a solid year last year, yet took a pay cut when he signed with the Devils. Why?

One of two reasons: He's a cancer in the locker room and the Devils' bid was the highest offered, or he wanted to stay in the New York area but move to a team that had a real shot at winning. Neither of those scenarios gives him much chance of coming to Detroit.

I think Downey's shift early in the second was a snapshot of him as a player. He hopped on the ice, received a pass, proceeded to pass it to the tape of a San Jose defenseman who was nowhere near any Wings or the net, and then raced across the ice to lay a hit that didn't have any bearing on the play. Yes, he did fight McLaren. That alone doesn't make him more deserving of ice time than Kopecky or Ellis as some have suggested.

Please tell me and the rest of DRW hockey, what exactly Kopecky does? Ellis you won't hear a word out of me. He's the guy who I argued should get a spot over Downey. What does Kopesky do,...what you just said, but not fight anyone?

I hated the coked-out bullies when I was in kindergarten.

Hey man,..i teach 5th grade,..trust me,

they may not be in kindergarten but you'd swear there were some kids hopped up on something out there. Normally they run the playground too, until another kid comes around and whoops their tail.

I got one in my class, obnoxious little fart. A good foot shorter than everyone but thinks he's 8 foot tall. He had been picking on this one kid all year calling him fat, and stupid when i wasn't paying attention. Well one day they're on the playground and that kid drops him to the ground and beats the heck out of him,....i took my time breaking it up

Edited by theman19

Please tell me and the rest of DRW hockey, what exactly Kopecky does? Ellis you won't hear a word out of me. He's the guy who I argued should get a spot over Downey. What does Kopesky do,...what you just said, but not fight anyone?

Yes. I'm curious to know this also.

Ellis is definitly deserving of his roster spot, which he proved tonight. But Kopecky hasn't done two s***s to show he should even be playing in the NHL.

Hey man,..i teach 5th grade,..trust me,

they may not be in kindergarten but you'd swear there were some kids hopped up on something out there. Normally they run the playground too, until another kid comes around and whoops their tail.

I work w/ autistic kids.. They don't need blow to scare you. :lol:

I work w/ autistic kids.. They don't need blow to scare you. :lol:

seriously, i feel out of my chair laughing so hard.

God bless you though man,...that's a special calling. You're alright in my book.

Guest Crymson

Ellis is also valuable.