• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
interminded

Suprises / dissapointments so far this season...

Rate this topic

Who is your biggest suprise and / or dissapointment so far?

My biggest suprise would be Tim Thomas, Boston's goaltender.

The dude was going to be a backup with Manny Fernandez coming in.

However, he has posted awesome numbers.

I doubt he will be able to maintain this level of play till the end of the season, but for now.... I'm impressed.

I'm equally impressed with Marty Biron (and the Flyers), but that isn't a suprise somehow. He always has been a premier goaltender, IMO.

Dissapointments: Well, Brendan Shanahan hasn't shown much so far, some goes for Jonathan Cheecho.

Worst however is Marty Brodeur.

Like Dom a slow starter but he hasn't played one decent game.

He'll bounce back though..

edit: Tori Zpelling

Edited by interminded

I expected St. Louis to improve but didn't expect them to win 4 out of their first 5 games.

I expected Zetterberg to be his awesome self, but I must admit that I am pleasantly and proudly suprised that he leads the NHL at the moment.

My biggest disappointment was covered on another thread: that Darren McCarty is no longer in the NHL and the rough turns his life has taken in the last few years. Talk about a guy that stands up for his teammates.

Agreed...Seems as though when he left Detroit his whole career went into the toilet.

I agree too, but let's be honest: Did we really think he would bounce back from last season ?

It's not a big suprise for me.

After the 2002-2003 season his career just spiraled downwards..

Individual Players

Surprise: P. Stastny, Col. I didn't realize he was as good as he is. I even watched (insert gag reflex here) some of the Av's games to see if he was for real, and he is.

Dissapointment: J. Hudler, Det. Not only because he's pointless, but moreso because of his unispired play and lack of quality chances. How did he score so many points in the minors? I really hope he's just a slow starter and once he gets his first he'll become a consistant sniper, but so far it's not looking good. C'mon Huddles!!

Team Performance

Surprise: Chicago, I know they're only 3-3 but I expected about 1-5. They've beat us twice while Kane and Toews look good early. Throw in a motivated Khabibulin and a healthy Havlat (if that ever happens) and I think you have the makings of a playoff team.

Dissapointment: Atlanta, after last year's 1st place Division finish I expected bigger things from them this year. Firing Hartley was a surprise this early in the season despite the 0-6 record. Hossa, Kovalchuk, Kozlov and Lehtinnen would seem to be a solid core to build around so maybe they can make a couple moves and turn it around. They need an upgrade on D and we need a 2nd line forward. We should sign Markov and then trade a D (Lebda, Lilja, Quincey, Meech?) for Todd White.

Individual Players

Surprise: P. Stastny, Col. I didn't realize he was as good as he is. I even watched (insert gag reflex here) some of the Av's games to see if he was for real, and he is.

Dissapointment: J. Hudler, Det. Not only because he's pointless, but moreso because of his unispired play and lack of quality chances. How did he score so many points in the minors? I really hope he's just a slow starter and once he gets his first he'll become a consistant sniper, but so far it's not looking good. C'mon Huddles!!

Team Performance

Surprise: Chicago, I know they're only 3-3 but I expected about 1-5. They've beat us twice while Kane and Toews look good early. Throw in a motivated Khabibulin and a healthy Havlat (if that ever happens) and I think you have the makings of a playoff team.

Dissapointment: Atlanta, after last year's 1st place Division finish I expected bigger things from them this year. Firing Hartley was a surprise this early in the season despite the 0-6 record. Hossa, Kovalchuk, Kozlov and Lehtinnen would seem to be a solid core to build around so maybe they can make a couple moves and turn it around. They need an upgrade on D and we need a 2nd line forward. We should sign Markov and then trade a D (Lebda, Lilja, Quincey, Meech?) for Todd White.

Good points all.

Yeah, you look at the names on the Avs roster and ...suprise...Stastny! Wow, he looks good.

I agree too, but let's be honest: Did we really think he would bounce back from last season ?

It's not a big suprise for me.

After the 2002-2003 season his career just spiraled downwards..

Its not a big suprise for me, either, just a disappointment.

Imressive

1) My main man, Hank, though, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

2) Nik Antropov has been very impressive. Now, if he can stay healthy.

Disappointments

1) Hasek and our defensive coverage as a whole, just terrible.

2) Huds and Flipper, though Flipper was close tonite.

3) A little too much parity in the league for my liking.

I have to say I'm not overly surprised with any team in the Central. Going in to the season I expected both Chicago and St. Louis to give the Wings a bit of trouble - both in games and in the standings.

My biggest surprise would have to be the Wild. Yes, they were going back to the playoffs but 3 shutouts already? They may not be able to keep up that pace - Stupid unbalanced schedule has them playing 12 of their next 15 in the division while the other 3 games are against the Blues (twice) and the Penguins - but that hot start is giving them a lot of confidence in a highly competitive division.

For me it's gotta be the NYR as a whole. With all that firepower

You know, I don't get the hype with the Rangers. I don't see how so many have them as cup favourites. Their defense is sub par and where is this so called firepower.

They added Drury and Gomez in the off season and lost Nylander....did they really add a lot of firepower here? Those two guys signed for a ton of money, but that doesn't mean they bring boatloads of firepower.

Drury had a career year last year at 69pts (guy has never hit 70pts) and up until 2 years ago, never scored 30 goals in this league.

Gomez has a career high of 84pts, I think next best is 70 pts. He did score over 30 goals a couple years ago, but other than that....last year he had 13 I think.

These guys are great players, no question, but I just don't see how everyone now thinks they are so loaded with offense just because of these signings....especially with the loss of Nylander.

Jagr is another year older and on the decline (still one of the best, but there will be some decline)

Shanahan is on the decline.

I just don't get it.

Of the top 23 scorers in the NHL (thus far in this young season) 4 of them belong to Detroit.

1. Zetterberg

15. Datsyuk

19. Holmstrom

23. Rafalski

Yes, but remember that Detroit has played more games than a lot of the other teams.

If you go by PPG, Zetterberg is actually the only guy in the top 40. (he's number 2)

Yes, but remember that Detroit has played more games than a lot of the other teams.

If you go by PPG, Zetterberg is actually the only guy in the top 40. (he's number 2)

Hence the "(thus far in this young season)" comment. I wasn't insinuating anything.

Just a quick oberservation.

Maybe I've been a little disappointed with some of the slower starters like Crosby,Ovechkin,Jagr & Thornton.

But I know they'll probably start producing more soon enough.

Radulov's TOI has surprised me,he's playing like 12 minutes/game though Preds have weakened from last season (and he's not getting many PP-minutes either).

Edited by FinRedWing

Definitely though Hudler would do better. I still think he will..and I think Lang not being here is contributing more than we thought...hmm.

Z is being more amazing than I could even imagine. He's really impressed me in a good way :-)

Definitely though Hudler would do better. I still think he will..and I think Lang not being here is contributing more than we thought...hmm.

Z is being more amazing than I could even imagine. He's really impressed me in a good way :-)

Is it possible to impress one in a *bad* way?

Hmm, its kind of like "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Maybe I've been a little disappointed with some of the slower starters like Crosby,Ovechkin,Jagr & Thornton.

But I know they'll probably start producing more soon enough.

Not sure I would classify any of those guys as being in serious slumps, maybe some slow starts, but it's very early.

I've seen a handful of Pens games this year and Crosby looks amazing, he was just having bad luck in terms of the points not coming. The last game he played, he made a play that would have been one of the best assists of year, no question, but his teammate didn't convert. Just little things like that...it will turn around. He is still on pace for 98pts, so he hasn't vanished.

I haven't seen much of any of those other guys, but they are still not falling of the map. Jagr is on pace for 109pts, to be honest, I expected less than that coming into this season.

Ovechkin is only on pace for 82 pts, but he is on pace for 55 goals. I don't think Ovechkin will ever be the type of guy challenging for an Art Ross, so 80-110pts or so is good for him.

Thornton is only on pace for 82 pts, but he'll pick things up.

So many players will have inflated stats this early and others will have stats that don't look good enough, just the way it goes when you are looking at stats after only 5-10 games.

So many players will have inflated stats this early and others will have stats that don't look good enough, just the way it goes when you are looking at stats after only 5-10 games.

:thumbup: You're right ,those "on pace for"-stats didn't look that bad (ok,maybe Big Joe's did a little bit).

Btw,tomorrow nights live broadcast here in Finland will be Pens@Caps,my first chance to see Sid & AO in action this season!

Is it possible to impress one in a *bad* way?

Hmm, its kind of like "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

I should have said..in a big way. I expected him to be good like always and he has totally impressed me...so that says something. It's not like I expected him to do bad, and he surprised me. I expected him to do very well and he still has surprised me...so it's pretty big

You know, I don't get the hype with the Rangers. I don't see how so many have them as cup favourites. Their defense is sub par and where is this so called firepower.

They added Drury and Gomez in the off season and lost Nylander....did they really add a lot of firepower here? Those two guys signed for a ton of money, but that doesn't mean they bring boatloads of firepower.

Drury had a career year last year at 69pts (guy has never hit 70pts) and up until 2 years ago, never scored 30 goals in this league.

Gomez has a career high of 84pts, I think next best is 70 pts. He did score over 30 goals a couple years ago, but other than that....last year he had 13 I think.

These guys are great players, no question, but I just don't see how everyone now thinks they are so loaded with offense just because of these signings....especially with the loss of Nylander.

Jagr is another year older and on the decline (still one of the best, but there will be some decline)

I just don't get it.

Honestly I think just by the nature of them being in New York, it cranks up the hype factor an extra notch.

The Rangers have shown more than a few times that a great team on paper doesn't necessarily translate to the ice. That being said, I hope they do get it together and become a force in the east. I've always kind of liked them after their cup win in 94, and it'd be good for the NHL if they were a strong franchise.

The season is really too young to get all wadded up about anything, really. Gerber, good surprise and good for him. Emery got the hype last season and Gerber was the goat. Get 'em, Martin! Hudler hasn't stepped it up but I am not disappointed in him, as I believe he will yet.

Biggest disappointment: that people are either surprised or disappointed by Dom's supposedly dismal performance so far, in less than a dozen games. Disappointed in Holland (and I am usually a fan of his), who thinks it's good that the fans and media are in a frenzy over Hasek's failure to perform, with a team which Holland admits hasn't been up to snuff in front of Hasek. He likes it, as he believes the media-generated controversy could be good for revenues.

if you're interested

That's today's NHL, I guess. <_<

Surprises:

Chicago

St Louis

Drapes goal scoring

Ozzies dominance, but im so proud of him for proving he's still a fantastic goalie

Brad May fighting Boogard, just another reason to love him

Disappointments:

Filpula/Hudler/Kopecky

Ryane Clowe and Micheal Ryder have had slow starts, they gotta get going!

The senators choice to dress Randy Robataille over Mcgrattan

I just don't get it.

And the Rangers barely got out of Mystery Alaska with 2 points, thanks to one ringing off the crossbar at the end of the game! :blink:

Edited by T.Low