• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
omnipotent_hudler

Who should be the next Wings captain?

Rate this topic

Who should be the next Wings captain?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Both Drapers and Lidstroms contracts run out after this year. They will probably both resign. Draper is getting a 3 year extension, Lidstrom will probably get 2 or 3. At the very least I think we can expect Lids to be here 2 more years. When he retires(oh god kill me now), there are two possible candidates for captain that have been thrown around. The first, assuming he is still playing, is Draper. The second of course is Zetterberg. So, who should be the next captain of the Detroit Red Wings?

Gotta be Hank. Other than Lidstrom, he's our best player, and he plays as hard as anyone on both sides of the ice. I don't see either Drapes or Chelios getting the captaincy, especially since those guys are close to retiring anyway. If Lidstrom plays a few more years, Hank will be around 30 by the time he gets the captaincy. I don't see anyone else rising to take that spot during that time.

Both Drapers and Lidstroms contracts run out after this year. They will probably both re-sign. Draper is getting a 3 year extension, Lidstrom will probably get 2 or 3. At the very least I think we can expect Lids to be here 2 more years. When he retires(oh god kill me now), there are two possible candidates for captain that have been thrown around. The first, assuming he is still playing, is Draper. The second of course is Zetterberg. So, who should be the next captain of the Detroit Red Wings?

I'm usually not a grammar nazi, but resign means the exact opposite of what you're intending. Plus it used to scare the hell out of me when people would post threads like "Yzerman resigns." :P

Z should be captain. I know this is an affront to Datsyuk fans, but Zetterberg just seems more fitting and more like a leader type.

It's not an insult to Dats. The captain doesn't even have to be the best player on the team. Gordie Howe was only captain of the Red Wings for a season.

From a marketing standpoint, I think it makes more sense to have Zetterberg too.

I'm usually not a grammar nazi, but resign means the exact opposite of what you're intending. Plus it used to scare the hell out of me when people would post threads like "Yzerman resigns." :P

Ahhh crap. I can't edit my posts either cause of a weird site glitch this account has. Sorry

I just threw Datsyuk in there because he's the other A that will probably be around then.

Well, I think a lot of it depends on when Lidstrom leaves or retires. If this is his last year in Detroit, or if he only has one more, then I could see Draper getting it... He represents the grit and effort that the people in Detroit really like, he's a longtime wing (could hit 900 games in a wings outfit this season i think), and he was the guy a lot of people were saying would get the "c" after Yzerman retired. Oh yea, and I know a Canadian captain would sit much better with some people (tho I'm indifferent in that regard).

However, I do think Zetterberg will get it at some point... and if Lids stays 2-3 more seasons I would think Zetterberg is probably a more likely candidate than anyone else on our team (he got the "A" before Dats despite the fact that Dats has been here longer).

Assuming that Lidstrom re-signs and plays at least a couple more season, and also assuming that there is no major change in the Wings' lineup (i.e. picking up a big name player with both skill and leadership), Zetterberg will more than likely follow Lids to the captaincy. Other possibilities are unlikely: Chelios doesn't even have the "A" and will probably retire sooner than Lidstrom, Drapes is a great choice for "A" but his best years are behind him, Dats doesn't seem to have the personality for a major leadership role, other players are unlikely to be as ready for the role as Z.

Of course a major signing, or failure to re-sign Z will change everything.

The Hankster

by the time Nicky gives it up Henrik will be matured and ready to take over. He is the future..and the future is looking GREAT! :clap::siren::thumbup::D

:thumbup:

I'm standing in this line, to vote the same way ladystanley is voting, for the same reasons, with the same amount of enthusiasm.

Edited by T.Low

Once all the current 34+ vets are gone, I don't see who else would make a good Captain besides Hank. There are surely other talented young players on the roster, but Hank shows up and gives 150% every night. He's relentless. He's tireless. He leads by example. What more can you ask for, besides experience? When the vets are gone, Zetterberg will be there.

Guest DetroitIan

Zetterberg WILL be the captain. I just have a gut feeling on this one. And what a great captain he will be. Sorta like Stevie in the sense that he will do alot of his leading by example.

Once Draper and Lidstrom are gone.

C- Zetterberg

A- Datsyuk

A- Cleary

I cant see it going any other way, maybe Homer/rafalaski over cleary, but i choose cleary.

I like this though I think I'd be leaning a little more towards Homer instead of Cleary.

Zetts will be the next Captain .

Dats and Cleary will wear the A's .... maybe Rafalski...or maybe someone like Flip . it'll all be in a couple of years down the line and hopefully he can fullfill his potential and be a great second line centre for us. a leader on the ice.