• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lebda4Pres

Grigorenko recalled from Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

There is not a single player on this team I would scratch to let Grigs into the lineup.

Well.. I agree Grigs has proven nothing thus far but I think its better to throw him in now and see if he can show some signs of what everyone was expecting from him. If he fails to produce in a couple of games then throw him back down to GR and if he runs for Russia then nothing lost.

Also if anyone is being scratched for Grigs I would have to guess it will be Kopecky.

Before people ask, no one was sent down, Franzen was put on retro active IR.

Yeah but who will be scratched when Franzen is better, and babcock is ready to put him back in the lineup.

Personally i think there isn't room for Grigs on the team this year. The guys who are on the roster right now have earned their spot. Ellis with minimal ice time has been working hard and contributing to the game, and Downey has also been working hard, and bringing to the table what many fans feel we have been lacking for a long time. He is a momentum changing player, and that is an role that we need on the team, especially when we all too often have slow starts, and fall behind before pulling ahead.

Well.. I agree Grigs has proven nothing thus far but I think its better to throw him in now and see if he can show some signs of what everyone was expecting from him. If he fails to produce in a couple of games then throw him back down to GR and if he runs for Russia then nothing lost.

I just want the best team we can ice every night. Every point this early in the season is crucial, and I don't want Grigs touching NHL ice if there is a player who can contribute more to our team than he can. Right now Downey and Ellis are both contributing, while Grigs hasn't been able to contribute at the AHL level.

Yeah but who will be scratched when Franzen is better, and babcock is ready to put him back in the lineup.

Personally i think there isn't room for Grigs on the team this year. The guys who are on the roster right now have earned their spot. Ellis with minimal ice time has been working hard and contributing to the game, and Downey has also been working hard, and bringing to the table what many fans feel we have been lacking for a long time. He is a momentum changing player, and that is an role that we need on the team, especially when we all too often have slow starts, and fall behind before pulling ahead.

Well, there's no way that Grigorenko plays every game while he's called up, I'd guess he'll get a game here or there while Drake is injured. He'll probably alternate with Downey on the line with Ellis and Kopecky. If Grigorenko doesn't show anything in his first few games, I think Holland will try and convince him to stay in GR or we'll simply lose him to Russia.

Edited by Heaton

As much as i feel like this kid could offer us alot. I wouldnt waste time giving him chances when he hasnt done anything in the AHL. In my book, this is this kids last chance this year. It wouldnt supprise me if he goes back to russia. He needs to beef up. He came to this camp totally unprepaired.

Guest Canadian Wings

Go back to Russia

Let the Canadian boys do their thing ;)

Edited by Canadian Wings

I'm disappointed with Grigs but in a way not really surprised. There's never been any solid foundation for the hype that this player has gotten and right now I don't have any expectations except for him to play average. And if he plays like 3rd/4th liner then why should he stick around - and why would we want him to stay?

Go back to Russia

Let the Canadian boys do their thing ;)

No comment.

i watched him in GR on saturday and I honestly didn't see anything promising or productive out of him.

agreed, you need not look further than the "grigorenko" thread to find my observations of the same game.

I think that this is kind of ridiculous. The guy doesn't deserve this whatsoever and used the whole I can go back to Russia card to get the extra money. If he proves successful I see his Wings career as short lived because he is all about the Benjamins and will leave for the highest bidder once he is a free agent anyways. I hope he succeeds, I still like him as a hockey player, but he is an immature prick.

EDIT: Adding more. If playing in the NHL was truly his dream 1 year in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world. If at the end of that year he didn't see himself on the big team I would 100% respect his decision to go cross seas back to Russia. But giving it one month is immature, good luck to him, but I honestly don't see him getting many games without injury. And I am more worried about losing Ellis, Meech or Downey (in 5 games when he needs to clear waivers again) to waivers then I am about losing Grigs, because Ellis and Downey have been contributers up here and Meech is still waiting patiently for a chance.

Edited by russianswede919293

I was at the Griffins game this weekend too and didn't see diddly squat out of him. He doesn't look like someone who is working his tail off to try to make the team. He's not going to make it, and he is going to be sent back overseas.

On May 16, 2003, Grigorenko was involved in a serious car accident. His suffered a broken left thigh bone and two fractures in his left shin bone. In addition, complications arose and he developed a fat embolism in his left lung, which is a potentially fatal condition.

Mark Lapush, Grigorenko's agent, said, "They gave him a 10-percent chance to be alive, and he made it. He’s feeling good. He said, 'Mark, trust me, I’m going to play hockey. I’m going to play for Detroit.'"

All he deserves is respect. I seriously hope he makes his debut sometime soon, and from there who knows what could happen? Good luck Igor.

All he deserves is respect. I seriously hope he makes his debut sometime soon, and from there who knows what could happen? Good luck Igor.

People around here have been so jaded by 'greedy Russians' that the fact that he has a clause in his contract about returning to play in Russia if he's not in the NHL means he wants to leave.

Here's some info for everybody:

Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg both had clauses in their rookie deals that said they either made the team RIGHT AWAY, or they could play in their homeland. Grigorenko is in the AHL right now...if he had the same sort of clause as Dats or Z, HE'D BE IN RUSSIA RIGHT NOW. Does that mean Dats and Z were all about the benjamins? No, it means they didn't want to come over to be minor leaguers. Same can be said for Grigs. And guess what? All this venom being spewed at Grigs about his contract clause? Try aiming it at Dats and Z, and see if you feel the same way. I think people are more pissed off that Grigs isn't an instant star than they are about the chance he could go back to Russia.

From what I've read, he has stated he wants to stay in Detroit and make the team. A year in GR would do him good for conditioning and style of play. Don't call him up to ride the pine and play only sparingly with few or no minutes. He moved his family here and was looking for a house; doesn't sound like he's running back to Russia. Plus there have been multiple reports of the Russian clubs not paying their players on time or not at all. If I remember right - Grigs is taking his former team to court to get his money. But haven't heard any talk from him about leaving - only that there was a "clause" in his contract only.

People around here have been so jaded by 'greedy Russians' that the fact that he has a clause in his contract about returning to play in Russia if he's not in the NHL means he wants to leave.

Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg both had clauses in their rookie deals that said they either made the team RIGHT AWAY, or they could play in their homeland. Grigorenko is in the AHL right now...if he had the same sort of clause as Dats or Z, HE'D BE IN RUSSIA RIGHT NOW. Does that mean Dats and Z were all about the benjamins? No, it means they didn't want to come over to be minor leaguers. Same can be said for Grigs. And guess what? All this venom being spewed at Grigs about his contract clause? Try aiming it at Dats and Z, and see if you feel the same way. I think people are more pissed off that Grigs isn't an instant star than they are about the chance he could go back to Russia.

Exactly. Right on all points, couldn't have said it better.

Finally, I can't wait to see this kid, He has been a slow starter so far but you put him on a line with Dats and see what happens. Cut this kid some slack guys, he has not even played his first NHL game yet and everybody is down on him. Well yeah he does not want to play in minors he was a superstar in russia and given the time he will succeed in the nhl.

I have been waiting a long time to see this guy all he has to do is give it a shot and I thinkl he will be a good player that fits our system well.

Finally, I can't wait to see this kid, He has been a slow starter so far but you put him on a line with Dats and see what happens. Cut this kid some slack guys, he has not even played his first NHL game yet and everybody is down on him. Well yeah he does not want to play in minors he was a superstar in russia and given the time he will succeed in the nhl.

I have been waiting a long time to see this guy all he has to do is give it a shot and I thinkl he will be a good player that fits our system well.

We can put Kopecky on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and people here will forget all about his inept play so far this season. The bottom line is we need 2nd and 3rd line scoring, not 1st line scoring, so if Grigorenko does play he won't be playing on the top line. I hope he plays well, because the other young guys we counted on this season have done nothing.

To be fair, I think it was only one person (in this thread anyway), they suggested he was all about the money. I think most others simply haven't been impressed with his play, which I think is a perfectly fair assessment so far.

The fact that he is getting called up, basically because he isn't making enough money in GR, is silly (Holland basically said this was the reason). While he will make more money now, he won't be developing very much if he is not playing in games, which is doesn't appear he will be. If he hasn't been able to keep up with the pace of the AHL, how is going to cope with the NHL, which the main difference between the AHL and NHL is, of course, pace of the game.

With that attitude, you'll be disappointed. I'm hoping he develops, but I don't think it will be anytime soon. It will probably be quite awhile before he is an "exciting" player in the NHL, if ever.

If he gets himself in the lineup, it will not be on a line with Datsyuk, that much I can almost guarantee you.