• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:32 AM

From their first prospects tournament game 9/11 in which the Wings won 6 to 1.

http://www.kuklaskor..._ways_than_one/

On a night where Brendan Smith finished at a plus four, he had a rough night, struggling in his own end as he received a rude awakening as to how fast players attack puck-carrying defensemen in the AHL and how hard you can be hit after releasing a pass while flat-footed by #70, Matt Tassone.

#22 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

http://communities.canada.com/windsorstar/blogs/duffersdabbles/archive/2010/09/14/coming-soon-the-big-ten-hockey-conference.aspx

“He's a wild mustang,” Eaves said. “He put up 50 points last season as a defenceman, which is phenomenal for our league. But he still needs some mentorship. Brendan needs to grow up emotionally.”

#23 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

2 Brendan Smith: Up to and including this past summer, the thing that made me worry about Brendan Smith was his propensity for getting caught indulging in alcohol and the fact that he seemed to hot-dog it at times, acting like the kind of player who knew he was so fantastically talented that he could get away with slacking off. Now I see a more mature and level-headed Smith, who’s still a very lean young man despite putting bulk on that 6’2” frame, making the NCAA graduate’s mistake of waiting that extra second to make a pass and assuming that an opposing forward isn’t going to do his best to knock you off your feet and make you hurt because that extra second doesn’t exist anymore, even among your peers.

Smith has literally and figuratively grown up over the past few years, and as University of Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves recently said, he’s still a bit of a “wild stallion” who, and I quote, “Still needs some mentorship” and still needs to “grow up emotionally,” I can at least say that his level of maturity as compared to even this spring is very impressive. He’s growing up, and yes, as he’s a gregarious young man, he’s going to need to be reigned in a bit and reminded that he’s got to bring the Tatar/Raedeke attitude to doing his job, so he’s going to struggle at times this season, but even a year ago, I would have suggested that he couldn’t do it, and this year I really believe that he can. So good on him and bad on me for having preconceived notions.

As far as Brendan as a player is concerned, it’s just adjustments in terms of time and space that he needs to worry about as he graduates to the AHL. The pace of play he’s going to face and his margin for error are far higher (pace) and smaller (error), respectively, but if there ever was a player talented enough to warrant, “We think he could be another Niklas Kronwall” descriptions from the Wings’ management, it’s Brendan. He is an absolutely elite, elite, elite offensive defenseman who skates as fast as the forward he was until he was 16, his vision and playmaking abilities are fantastic, he’s got a great shot, a hard pass, he’s grown in leaps and bounds in terms of his defensive responsibilities and while he’s not Kronwall bombastic, he does indeed enjoy the physical part of his game, and he loves mixing it up and driving his opponents to distraction. He, Landon Ferraro and probably Thomas McCollum are the most naturally gifted athletes out there, and Smith has all the potential in the world to become an elite offensive defenseman at the NHL level. He just has to learn to adjust to the pro game. He’s won me over, and I hope he makes it all the way because he’s fun to watch.

http://www.kuklaskor..._for_main_camp/

#24 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

http://redwingscentr.../15_Roundup.php

Smith looks to shake 'bad apple' rep
By Sarah Lindenau – RedWingsCentral.com / September 15, 2010

Brendan Smith wants Detroit Red Wings fans to know that no matter what they've heard or read about him, he's not a bad apple.

The top-scoring defenseman in U.S. college hockey and Hobey Baker candidate is turning pro this season with a well-documented history of off-ice issues during his three-year NCAA career with the Wisconsin Badgers.

"Sometimes it's just being in the wrong place at the wrong time," Smith said. "People read all these things on the Internet about me being a bad apple, but I think if you talk to me, you understand I am not like that. I want people in Detroit to know who I actually am and not just what they read in the papers."

Smith, the Red Wings' first-round draft choice in 2007, was most recently charged with disorderly conduct after a fight outside his home this past May. Prior to that, a separate off-ice incident led to him being suspended by his team, while he has been a healthy scratch for "undisclosed reasons."

Despite his past troubles, Smith's NHL talent is undeniable. He could be a dynamic force on the Red Wings' blue line in a few years, if he stays out of trouble off the ice.

Red Wings goaltending prospect Thomas McCollum has a unique take on his ability after getting a look at Smith this week at the annual NHL prospects tournament in Traverse City.

"Smith kind of reminds me of playing behind Drew Doughty," said McCollum, a teammate of Doughty's for two seasons with the Guelph Storm. "He's not quite the dynamic offensive player that Drew is, but who is really? He makes a lot of great plays but at the same time he's very good defensively."

The 21-year-old Smith, who is turning pro this season after a sensational junior year at Wisconsin, is hesitant to the comparison to a Norris Trophy-calibre NHLer.

"I still have some work cut out for me if I want to be like Drew Doughty, but I guess I play pretty similar," he said. "We both play similar styles and we are both young."

Smith piled up 87 points in three seasons at Wisconsin, but led all NCAA defensemen last season with 15 goals and 37 assists for 52 points in 42 games, helping him earn a top-10 nomination for the famous Hobey Baker Award.

He leads the Red Wings with a plus-6 in three games in Traverse City, helping the squad advance to Wednesday's gold-medal game against the Minnesota Wild.

"It's been fun," he said. "There are some great players out here that you don't always see in college but I have been able to keep up with the competition because I would say strength and speed wise it is pretty similar."

The Red Wings have gone so far as to mention Smith's name in the race for the seventh defenseman's spot this season along with Derek Meech, Doug Janik and Jakub Kindl, although there is a good chance he'll open the year in the American Hockey League with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

"It's kind of a win-win situation for me," Smith said. "Playing with Grand Rapids is unbelievable and playing with Detroit is even that much better. Just knowing that I could be the seventh defenseman is great, but we will have to wait and see what happens."

#25 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Bumpage

Smith has 1g 2A 3PTS and is +- Even in his first 2 games as a professional in GR. Off to a great start!
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#26 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:19 AM

Video: 'Getting to know the Griffins,' Episode 7: Defenseman Brendan Smith
http://www.mlive.com...the_grif_5.html

#27 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

Red rocket..... snicker snicker
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#28 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

Scored a 1st period goal tonight, 4 game point streak, 7 points in the last 9 games. He's having an outstanding rookie season. :thumbup:

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#29 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

Named to AHL All-Rookie team Posted Image This kid can't get to the big club quick enough...
link

Edited by HankthaTank, 30 March 2011 - 04:28 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#30 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

Named to AHL All-Rookie team Posted Image This kid can't get to the big club quick enough...
link

I disagree. He shouldn't come up until we have a definite spot for him. He is far too good to be fighting for ice time, and Kindl and Ericsson need it because they could be good themselves if they get the right experience. Another year in the AHL would get him to be more prepared mentally and physically. He should also have a shot at an AHL MVP if he could get the griffins into the playoffs.

He needs defensive work, and it wouldn't hurt for him to help McCollum get back on his feet.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#31 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

i think we should bring him up if Lids retires, but then again playing him with Lids for a year would benefit him and the Wings.
so bring him up anyway
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

I disagree.

Wasn't saying tomorrow or even next year. Was just voicing my excitement for a young player who seems to have the tools to be a pretty dang good NHLer and at a position that we need. That is all.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#33 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

Wasn't saying tomorrow or even next year. Was just voicing my excitement for a young player who seems to have the tools to be a pretty dang good NHLer and at a position that we need. That is all.

Oh I know, and I am excited for him as well. I just don't want to rush anyone based on excitement, I want him to end up being a big part of our team. I just feel that Kindl could be a quality top four defenseman and he might not get there if we just bring Smith up next year for the hell of it.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#34 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Smith had a beauty of a fight against Kyle Beach tonight vs Rockford. This kid is tough, he might have become my favourite prospect :cool:

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#35 Bar Down

Bar Down

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

Smith had a beauty of a fight against Kyle Beach tonight vs Rockford. This kid is tough, he might have become my favourite prospect :cool:

I was wondering how he fared against Beach. I'd seen Beach a few times while he played in the Dub and the guy knows how to fight. To see Smith drop em with Beach really speaks volumes. I'm pumped to see Smith in the big leagues in the next couple years.

#36 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

I saw the fight, Smith is a natural ass kicker without a doubt. Beach got the better of him but Smith knew what he was doing the whole time.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

I saw the fight, Smith is a natural ass kicker without a doubt. Beach got the better of him but Smith knew what he was doing the whole time.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Beach has had about 40 more fights than Smith the last 4 years and is bigger than Smith but Smith handled Beach going toe to toe to a slight edge Beach or a draw.

He is like Abdelkader in a way except tougher. Both played NCAA so they didnt get a chance to fight much but now that Abby is getting experience finally he is getting better. I can see Smith being pretty damn tough after he gets some more fights under his belt.. Hes been fighting really tough guys as well

RIP BOB PROBERT #24