• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

up2here

Babcock quote in The Hockey News

Rate this topic

"It's great. In Phoenix the other night, the 'Go Wings, Go' was pretty

nice - louder than it is at home...I probably

shouldn't have slipped that in."

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock when asked about the plethora of Detroit fans in the stands during road games

Hopefully this can incite the fans to be louder and become that 7th man that they have been in the past.

"It's great. In Phoenix the other night, the 'Go Wings, Go' was pretty

nice - louder than it is at home...I probably

shouldn't have slipped that in."

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock when asked about the plethora of Detroit fans in the stands during road games

Hopefully this can incite the fans to be louder and become that 7th man that they have been in the past.

I will do my part tonight

We talk about this every year. I never understand why opposing players always say the JLA is one of the hardest buildings to play in. Its a f***in' library in there. The atmosphere is almost like a twilight zone. Everytime you go to a game at the Joe, you get the same boring/lame intro, the same organ music, the same songs heard in the same exact order as the last game you were at, the same boring ass intermission entertainment (except the shootout between the little kids, I actually love watching those!), the same hour long line for the same gross/disgusting/piss-infested trough, the same lame Mo Cheese dancing (can this guy just stop already with the stupid dance???), and on top of all that, you're pretty much looked at as an obnoxious lunatic if you show any sort of emotion or enthusiasm throughout the game (minus of course when a goal is scored, or a fight or big hit occurs). I hardly ever hear a "Lets Go Red Wing's" chant that lasts more than half a dozen times. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

Sadly, I do not think any of this will change until we get a new arena.

I don't agree. Now the JLA is quiet, but a few years ago and mostly for the past 10 the JLA has always been one of the loudest buildings in the league, and most indimitating to play in.

Kinda sad that Babs said that though, but he's kinda right. :(

I don't agree. Now the JLA is quiet, but a few years ago and mostly for the past 10 the JLA has always been one of the loudest buildings in the league, and most indimitating to play in.

Kinda sad that Babs said that though, but he's kinda right. :(

Heres something to back your statement up. This is an excerpt from a The Hockey News Player Poll from April of this year on which building is the toughest to play in on the road:

What is the toughest building to play in on the road?

1) Detroit Red Wings (41) 16.4%

2) Calgary Flames (37) 14.8%

3) Montreal Canadiens (25) 10%

4) San Jose Sharks (21) 8.4%

5) Philadelphia Flyers (14) 5.6%

6) Toronto Maple Leafs (13) 5.2%

7) Edmonton Oilers and New Jersey Devils (12) 4.8%

8) Ottawa Senators (9) 3.6%

9) Buffalo Sabres, Florida Panthers and Nashville Predators (7) 2.8%

10) Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers (6) 2.4%

11) Anaheim Ducks and Pittsburgh Penguins (5) 2%

12) Tampa Bay Lightning (4) 1.6%

13) Vancouver Canucks (3) 1.2%

14) Carolina Hurricanes and Washington Capitals (2) 0.8%

15) Atlanta Thrashers, Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings (1) 0.4%

Heres a link also: The Hockey News

Can't the damn Joe Louis people at least let fans down into the lower bowl for the last half of the second/third period if people haven't showed up? It's damn embarrassing to see it half empty on TV.

We talk about this every year. I never understand why opposing players always say the JLA is one of the hardest buildings to play in. Its a f***in' library in there. The atmosphere is almost like a twilight zone. Everytime you go to a game at the Joe, you get the same boring/lame intro, the same organ music, the same songs heard in the same exact order as the last game you were at, the same boring ass intermission entertainment (except the shootout between the little kids, I actually love watching those!), the same hour long line for the same gross/disgusting/piss-infested trough, the same lame Mo Cheese dancing (can this guy just stop already with the stupid dance???), and on top of all that, you're pretty much looked at as an obnoxious lunatic if you show any sort of emotion or enthusiasm throughout the game (minus of course when a goal is scored, or a fight or big hit occurs). I hardly ever hear a "Lets Go Red Wing's" chant that lasts more than half a dozen times. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

Sadly, I do not think any of this will change until we get a new arena.

The Joe is a tough building to play in only because the Wings are a good team. There's no other reason, especially when you consider that it's never full, and is quiter than a golf course even when it is full. Arenas are only as tough as the team that plays in them. Was Lambeau Field a tough place to play in while the Packers have been sucking these last few years? Of course not. If I had my choice, I'd probably go with Calgary or Edmonton because of how rabid those fans are there. Our fans are more emotional on LGW than they are at the Joe.

I dont understand why people care so much about the noise. If you have an arena filled with a ton of teens/younger kids, bandwaggoners, etc, youll have a lot of noise. If youve got an arena filled with people who have just gotten off of work, are elderly, or are there to intently watch the game and actually care about a win versus a loss, they arent going to be as inclined to cheer. So fricking what? When I go to a game, I watch the game intently. Sure I join in on the fun when there are breaks, or Ill do my part if the wave is going around, but for the most part when the game is on, Im watching it.

Whenever I go to Wings games, what I notice is that there a ton of people there who are discussing whats going on in the game. IMO, in the United States (this doesnt really apply in Canada), when youve got a loud arena, its because youve got a lot of bandwagon fans/people who are just there for the entertainment and the ambience. Ive always taken the Wings fans lack of vocality - mainly after the Wings success was no longer a novelty - as a sign of the intellect of the crowd.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Ive always taken the Wings fans lack of vocality - mainly after the Wings success was no longer a novelty - as a sign of the intellect of the crowd.

What a crock of s***. I guess you can use whatever excuse you want to justify it, but it all boils down to one simple fact. This city is not Wing crazy right now. Tickets are way too expensive and nobody is going, that's why it's not loud.

I like your idea though. It implies that loud arenas are filled with dumb fans. Also, all those so called Detroit fans in other cities? Yeah, also morons.

I dont understand why people care so much about the noise. If you have an arena filled with a ton of teens/younger kids, bandwaggoners, etc, youll have a lot of noise. If youve got an arena filled with people who have just gotten off of work, are elderly, or are there to intently watch the game and actually care about a win versus a loss, they arent going to be as inclined to cheer. So fricking what? When I go to a game, I watch the game intently. Sure I join in on the fun when there are breaks, or Ill do my part if the wave is going around, but for the most part when the game is on, Im watching it.

Whenever I go to Wings games, what I notice is that there a ton of people there who are discussing whats going on in the game. IMO, in the United States (this doesnt really apply in Canada), when youve got a loud arena, its because youve got a lot of bandwagon fans/people who are just there for the entertainment and the ambience. Ive always taken the Wings fans lack of vocality - mainly after the Wings success was no longer a novelty - as a sign of the intellect of the crowd.

I agree with this to a certain degree. I'm not really associating lack of vocals with the novelty/intellect bit you said at the end, but I think I understand where you are coming from.

As for me personally, (I know nobody in here is doing this specificially but...) I absolutely hate when people tell me how I should cheer.

- I don't yell/scream to the top of my lungs

- I don't get drunk before every game and yell profanities at refs or other players or other fans

- I'm not a cheerleader and I'm not peppy

- I'm not a rah-rah-sisk-boom-bah kinda person

- I don't decorate myself in body paint of my team's colors

- I'm not overly emotional at sporting events when I have no control over them

That doesn't mean I'm not into the games or that I don't care. I just like to watch the games though. I'll applaud/acknowledge when it's deemed/deserved, but I'm just not the zany crazy fan. I don't miss many games, and I've made a long trek these past two seasons to a few Wings games. So you cannot say I'm not supportive. If you don't like the way I show my support (or lack of it at a sporting event), sorry but you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine (not you specifcally YoungGuns or anybody else in here, just my general opinion and how I noramlly watch sportin events).

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

hockey left detroit with yzerman

Couldn't have said it better myself. 2 possible fixes at this point: One, drastically lower ticket prices. I'm talking 10-15 dollars top uppers, 20-25 lower uppers, 35-45 upper lowers, and 45-60 lower lowers. Or, declare the Joe a freakin landmark and BUILD A NEW ARENA. Illitch has already confirmed he specifically bought land near Commerica park that would probably be used for it, just get it done! I mean, he'll lose more money with the attendance we've been seeing at the Joe than he would putting up some cash out of his own pocket to build a new arena. God knows King Little Ceaser can afford it......just seems like he's taking fans for granted.......at this rate, its gonna get worse before it gets better. :(

Edited by ShanahanMan