• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
omnipotent_hudler

I hope you haven't bought a new EDGE Jersey yet

Rate this topic

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/...ticleid=1040306

According to sources in the B’s dressing room, Reebok has been unable to correct problems with the new jerseys introduced this season across the NHL and will replace them at the company’s expense with new uniforms made of the old materials.

Players have complained since training camp that the new jerseys, which are supposed to be lighter and allow sweat to evaporate out through the shirts, have instead trapped water inside and gotten heavier. . . .

From the Boston Herald.

It's too bad, really. I like the look of the new jersey's; haven't bought one though.

I love it!!!

I bet they are so happy that they switched to these over priced sweaters now.

My fav is when Downy got in the fight in San Jose and the entire backside of the jersey blew out.

This is great news! The skin-tight look was brutal. And I'm sure the new designs will stay the same for the 'old' sweaters.

Are they keeping the same skin tight look, just going to use the old materials? I took that quote below that they aren't going back to the old look (ala non-skin tight) but instead just using the old material.

According to sources in the B’s dressing room, Reebok has been unable to correct problems with the new jerseys introduced this season across the NHL and will replace them at the company’s expense with new uniforms made of the old materials.
Edited by OsGOD

Here's a couple of things worth mentioning:

1) The Boston Herald story is merely a rumor from an un-named source. It's probably wise to hold off on the celebration until we get some confirmation.

2) It's not clear if what's rumored applies just to Boston or all NHL teams.

3) They might keep the same style, but merely switch from the new fabric back to the old.

It's also interesting that some teams, like the NYR's are already hemming up the "shirt tails" of their new jerseys:

IPB Image

I say if they want to go with moisture wicking material they should go to the source and in my opinion best place to get that type of gear, Under Armour.

Why go to Reebok, for Reebok this line was an experimental thing and apparently was not all that they thought it was.

The reason most guys have gone from cotton to poly-pro type wicking material is that once you start sweating in cotton, or Reebok, your gear gets so heavy, you legs get tired sooner, it is a mess. With the poly-pro type/UA gear the moisture is wicked away very well and guys really seem to like them.

This is so similar to the NBA changing the Ball last year it is not even funny.

I say if they want to go with moisture wicking material they should go to the source and in my opinion best place to get that type of gear, Under Armour.

Why go to Reebok, for Reebok this line was an experimental thing and apparently was not all that they thought it was.

The reason most guys have gone from cotton to poly-pro type wicking material is that once you start sweating in cotton, or Reebok, your gear gets so heavy, you legs get tired sooner, it is a mess. With the poly-pro type/UA gear the moisture is wicked away very well and guys really seem to like them.

This is so similar to the NBA changing the Ball last year it is not even funny.

That's actually a great idea. Problem is that Reesuck has the current contract to supply the teams...good luck breaking that!

In terms of those thinking "great, I didn't like the look of the new jerseys", you may be misunderstanding what is likely to happen.

I think all they will do, if it happens as noted above, will be they will simply use different material for the same jersey. I don't think you would even notice a difference by just looking at it.

Bettman will of course deny this too. Like Gizmo said though it is just a rumour at this point. However, had said sources been named they then would be fired. So it was best, as far as job security is concerned, to remain anonymous.

Oh and on sad note, if it does hold true, so long to 12 percent faster hockey.

:(

Bettman will of course deny this too. Like Gizmo said though it is just a rumour at this point. However, had said sources been named they then would be fired. So it was best, as far as job security is concerned, to remain anonymous.

I hate to have to defend Bettman all the time, but really, none of this is his fault. Everyone was on board with the changes, the technology simply isn't working they are not able to fix it apparently, even though they said they would be able to and even new jerseys delivered as early as the first Friday of the season, which obviously didn't happen.

You forget the heated blades!! that's like 88% + your 12% that's 100%! Bring back the puck track! Just kidding. And I doubt they ever reached the 12% :P

That's actually a great idea. Problem is that Reesuck has the current contract to supply the teams...good luck breaking that!

The new jerseys are not what the league wanted and Reebok has given them an inferior product to what was promise and what the contract was stipulated.

I am not a lawyer so I ask you,

is that a violation of contract? could that be a way out for the league?

Knowing Gary Buttman, he'll forget that aspect and go forth with the RBK contract.

From this day forth, I'm no longer buying anything made by Reebok.

In that case I would love to buy one. 50 years from now people will say, 'Hey remember those Crazy Jerseys they had in 07 08?', and I'll say, 'Yeah, IVE GOT ONE!'. If its a one year thing, it would make a great collectors item. Kind of like the Flyers 'Cooperalls' tried to get to catch on in the 70's.

Behold

IPB Image

The Blog UniWatch is reporting that our hopes were pre-mature:

Update, 12:55pm: Just spoke with an NHL spokesperson, who told me that the Boston Herald report is incorrect. As it was explained to me, Reebok has informed each team that players who have “moisture issues†with the new jerseys (i.e., lots of water ending up in their gloves and/or skates) will be given the option to have the option to wear a jersey with a new front panel made of a different high-tech material. The spokesperson maintained that there was no league-wide move to scrap the new jerseys, nor was there any move back to “old materials.â€Â

When I asked if the league had any sense of how many players were requesting this option, I was told to direct that question to Reebok. I’m still waiting to hear back from them. Link

So it looks like players will be given the option of a new "new" jersey. Edited by Gizmo

Here's another link saying pretty much what the uniblog said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/WBhockeyblog/

I agree with what Steve Gibbons said.

I love how the NHL and its business partners can never admit to mistakes but instead keep forcing the bad decisions down the fans' throats. Ditch the the jerseys.
Edited by auxlepli

Here's another link saying pretty much what the uniblog said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/WBhockeyblog/

Note this line for the story:
“There are certain panels on the front of the jersey which are being replaced with a performance fabric, an air-knit fabric,†said Mansur. “They are being given to the players who are requesting them. There is no going back to the old jerseys, no. It’s just the use of an alternate (fabric) to resolve specific issues.â€Â
If that's true the "new" fabric they are using is "old" fabric. So it sounds like they are merely going to keep the new jersey style and replace certain panels with the old fabric! Edited by Gizmo

But the old fabirc doesn't stretch like the new fabric does...if they keep the same tight styling, isn't that going to make the jersey more restrictive?? Reebok needs to just do a huge mea culpa and go back to the old style with the old fabric. If the teams want to keep their new, "everything but the kitchen sink" designs, fine. But I still believe in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and there was nothing wrong with the CCM-style jerseys. And they didn't rip wide open like they were made of crepe paper during a fight.

The Reebok Hockey Jersey - the 2000's version of the 1980's Cooperalls. :D

Well I haven't bought a new jersey and I'm not planning on it. The ones they had last year were fine and, other than trying to sucker people into buying a new jersey, I still don't understand why they changed.

Guest DetroitIan

Good. Now the old jerseys are back. And I imagine the "C" and "A" will go to the correct side.

Guest Jeremy88

I actually bought a Datsyuk RBK jersey a week before the season began (only because my Yzerman jersey had become way too small and my Federov jersey barely fit me and Federov doesn't play here anymore) but I returned it a week later because I realized I couldn't afford it at the time.

I hate to have to defend Bettman all the time, but really, none of this is his fault. Everyone was on board with the changes, the technology simply isn't working they are not able to fix it apparently, even though they said they would be able to and even new jerseys delivered as early as the first Friday of the season, which obviously didn't happen.

...the fans love the new jerseys, I'll bet they come up to Gary all the time and tell him as much!