• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Agalloch

Grigorenko re-assigned, opts for Russia

Rate this topic

They did give him a chance, its called his first demotion to Grand Rapids. He brought this upon himself, players know better than to show up at camp out of shape. Hopefully this wakes him up and he can come back next season and make a better impression.

I know he was given a chance. There are other people who don't think so, which is who I was talking about in this situation.

This is outstanding news to me! The fact that were willing to keep a guy like Downey over Grigorenko tells me maybe the boys in management are starting to come around as to the importance of having some fighters!

It's great. I just hope now that Babcock realizes the cumbersome play of certain players this season (Hudler and Kopecky), and makes a full-time spot for Downey. Not that I think that'll happen, but it's always fun to hope for a full-time enforcer. :)

I know he was given a chance. There are other people who don't think so, which is who I was talking about in this situation.

It's great. I just hope now that Babcock realizes the cumbersome play of certain players this season (Hudler and Kopecky), and makes a full-time spot for Downey. Not that I think that'll happen, but it's always fun to hope for a full-time enforcer. :)

Ive been let down so many times in the past with false hope, so this could be just be another time, but it seems different. I mean, the fact that they actually let Grigorenko leave while Downey continued to play is quite surprising! No way we see it play out like this in years past.

Ive been let down so many times in the past with false hope, so this could be just be another time, but it seems different. I mean, the fact that they actually let Grigorenko leave while Downey continued to play is quite surprising! No way we see it play out like this in years past.

It isn't too surprising. There was no chance Downey was getting knocked for Grigs, not with what we'd all seen out of him and that the Griffs and Kenny saw.

I think only McCabe could have lost a roster spot to Grigorenko in the league right now, it wasn't about Downey vs. Igor. If Grigs were fit though, we might have seen another story end, but that's the point. He came here with zero conditioning and that made him a total bust for this year and possibly forever.

Edited by Flip-check

Judging by the comments from Holland and Datsyuk...perhaps he wants to go back to Russia so he has a greater opportunity to work on things like conditioning? Anyone who makes a judgement about whether Grigs is lazy or not based on him not making the team this year, or on him not getting into top shape in a couple weeks, is jumping the gun.

:clap:

Here's to hoping Grigs brings his a-game in the fall. I don't expect Detroit to let him slip away, but on the other hand he hasn't made friends in the front office.

Maybe next time the front office will actually get the VISA stuff together in time for European players like Grigs to make it to the strength and conditioning camp and we can avoid this crap in the future.

I know, it's actually kind of refreshing. Call it the "Babcock" factor.

This is outstanding news to me! The fact that were willing to keep a guy like Downey over Grigorenko tells me maybe the boys in management are starting to come around as to the importance of having some fighters!

im gonna qualify this by saying that this is in NO WAY a knock on our management, because I feel we have the best front office in the league....that said, i think you may be giving them a bit to much credit in this situation. Grigorenko was considerably out of shape, it really wasn't that tough a call for them to make...having a single player who is the slightest bit out of shape can be a severe detriment to any nhl team, especially through the stretch run and into the playoffs

Grigorenko was considerably out of shape, it really wasn't that tough a call for them to make...having a single player who is the slightest bit out of shape can be a severe detriment to any nhl team, especially through the stretch run and into the playoffs

Exactly.

Grigorenko isn't done yet, but again, as disappointing and frustrating as this is, the fact that Kenny wants to see if he's worth a qualifying offer next spring is a good sign.

warm up that crow..

I'll need some mayo and some ketchup. I was really hoping to see him turn the trauma around and use it to be one of our next big things!

I hope his career in Russia turns out better in the future.Now we can look for ellis, flip, huddles, kopy.

The movie of the week"Return of the Drake and the Mule"

Didn't Holland basically already say that he didn't think they would bother trying this again next year. Anyway, it was something like that, which leads me to believe that Grigs will never wear a Red Wings sweater.

Actually there was a quote in todays Free Press with Holland talking about how he hopes Grigs goes to Russia and gets in shape...and yada yada. It said they'd still give him a qualifying offer next year to retain his rights.

Didn't Holland basically already say that he didn't think they would bother trying this again next year. Anyway, it was something like that, which leads me to believe that Grigs will never wear a Red Wings sweater.

Holland said he didn't expect him to come back if he left for Russia.

I also wonder if Igor was making the same amount of money in GR that he would make in Detroit if he would've stayed.

I personally thought he expected to have a roster spot handed to him.

I think he'll be back for another shot.

I also wonder if Igor was making the same amount of money in GR that he would make in Detroit if he would've stayed.

I think the number dropped to around $90K a year instead of the around $500K or more playing in the NHL.

Exactly.

Grigorenko isn't done yet, but again, as disappointing and frustrating as this is, the fact that Kenny wants to see if he's worth a qualifying offer next spring is a good sign.

Could it be possible that he is actually fit enough to play in Russia, and was simply that ignorant of the level of committment it takes to play at the professeional level in North America? Is it possible he got on the ice and watched everyone blowing by him and thought "holy freakin crap, these guys are amazing! Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be like this!"

In other words, did he not care, or did he not know?

Perhaps we will have the answer by this time next year.

Eitherway, by looking at his stat history, I'm not expecting anything. Maybe he'll be a pleasant suprise someday, but most likely will just be a millionaire playing hockey in Russia.

Wow... i cared so little i almost passed out!

Who is this grigs?

Is that cleverness? I don't see the point of your comment OsGod.

T.Low: That's what I wondered too. It's moot now, but maybe we'll find out down the road should Grigs does the unexpected and turns Holland's opinion of him around in '08.

Guest nutz2u

:clap:

Here's to hoping Grigs brings his a-game in the fall. I don't expect Detroit to let him slip away, but on the other hand he hasn't made friends in the front office.

Maybe next time the front office will actually get the VISA stuff together in time for European players like Grigs to make it to the strength and conditioning camp and we can avoid this crap in the future.

I'm not sure what to think about the front office and his work visa problem. Why did they fail in only his case? I'm too lazy to go back and check how many players came over for the conditioning camp but he was the only one that didn't make it. Couple that with the fact that they tried to get him over here before to work with team doctors after the accident and later on, trainers to help with his skating and his refusal in both cases makes me wonder if the front office was totally to blame for what happened.

I am happy with this move to not lose Downey or Ellis. I'm also glad to hear that he plans to try again next year. Hopefully he takes the year in Russia to learn English and work on his foot speed and comes back next year. I do not think he was NHL ready and hope he will be next year.

I'm not sure what to think about the front office and his work visa problem. Why did they fail in only his case? I'm too lazy to go back and check how many players came over for the conditioning camp but he was the only one that didn't make it. Couple that with the fact that they tried to get him over here before to work with team doctors after the accident and later on, trainers to help with his skating and his refusal in both cases makes me wonder if the front office was totally to blame for what happened.

Actually he wasn't the only one. The summer Hudler came over they neglected to have his Visa in order.

I just hope now that Babcock realizes the cumbersome play of certain players this season (Hudler and Kopecky), and makes a full-time spot for Downey. Not that I think that'll happen, but it's always fun to hope for a full-time enforcer. :)

:rolleyes: Hudler's still playing better then Filppula. They've got the same points but Hudler's played in less mins AND won a game in the shoot-out.

And when did all the venom toward Ellis shift to praise on these boards? The night he got an assist. Before that all we heard was how he was a waste of a roster spot. And that was an especially loud rallying call from the pro-Downey crew.

Great for Ellis that he's in the spotlight, but I'll be pleasently surprised if he manages 20 pts this year.