• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Wings don't back down anymore! Downey, Downey!

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Here's what i've noticed thus far this season:

1. None of our guys are hesitating to get into scrums and shove people out of our crease after whistles. Even Datsyuk and Hudler got involved last night when the Sharks started scrums after the whistle.

2. Kirk Maltby is playing far better offensively and seems to have more jump in his step than in past years. Frankly, he hasn't played this well since Mac or Kocur was in the lineup.

IMO, much of this can be attributed to Downey's presence in the lineup and to a lesser extent, Drake's.

Anybody think i'm full of crap and that maybe there's no difference at all between this year and the past couple? I'd like to know if anyone sees what i'm seeing or if i'm just seeing what I want to see.

Cheers!

GO DOWNEY!!!!

I definitely agree with you. They have more confidence in the fact that they have someone watching their backs. This makes the team as a whole play better because they are not as easily intimidated.

I love watching Downey on the ice. I have noticed he's made a few blatant turnovers in the offensive zone, though. It seems like he has a hard time cycling the puck, at least to a teammates stick, that is. He has gotten a bit better, though.

Will be interesting to see how the top brass play it when both Drake and Franzen are of IR's. Ellis has done well and Downey has done his job when asked. Its a tough call, but on the current set up its hard to leave either of them out. Could be we may see the scartches being not being so clear cut as in previous years. Drake, Hudler, Kopecky, Downey and Ellis could rotate for th 3 places between them. ON current form i'd go for drake sitting instead of Ellis. Interseting decision's for Babs for sure.

Downey isn't an every day player and while Drake hasn't been awesome in his games he can play in more situations. Downey will still get games in but don't expect him in the lineup the rest of the way.

I agree. I've seen a huge difference in the way the Wings are playing. Physically that is. They don't take s*** from anyone anymore, and half the time they are the ones initiating the physical play. It's definitely a great thing to see. :clap:

Btw, our boys did out hit BiggerFasterStronger last night.

Downey isn't an every day player and while Drake hasn't been awesome in his games he can play in more situations. Downey will still get games in but don't expect him in the lineup the rest of the way.

I'd agree if he were without a cage. What benefit to the team does Drake really provide over Downey? Ive yet to see anyone give a good reason, I think people are just totally going off of name value here. He's Dallas Drake, hence he should play over Aaron Downey. Both will play on the 4th, yet only one of the two will be able to fully play his role. I havent noticed if Drake had been playing PK, im assuming thats what you mean when you say he can play more situations. But this team has PLENTY of guys to do that without Drake. Not to mention guys usually dont play particularly well with the added cage, and Drake was already not playing well to begin with.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I'd agree if he were without a cage. What benefit to the team does Drake really provide over Downey? Ive yet to see anyone give a good reason, I think people are just totally going off of name value here. He's Dallas Drake, hence he should play over Aaron Downey. Both will play on the 4th, yet only one of the two will be able to fully play his role. I havent noticed if Drake had been playing PK, im assuming thats what you mean when you say he can play more situations. But this team has PLENTY of guys to do that without Drake. Not to mention guys usually dont play particularly well with the added cage, and Drake was already not playing well to begin with.

True dat. Drake has not played well imo. Downey, despite his 2 giveaways a night in the offensive zone is still playing better. Tell you what though, the game prior to this Downey cycled very well with Ellis and Kopa. Last night I did see him give it away at least twice. I'd like to see him be just a tad more patient with the puck. That blind behind the back centering pass was atrocious. He really should stick to keeping that puck along the wall. Unless he's facing the goal with an opportunity to put in on net or pass I really don't want to see Downey doing anytihng with the puck other than sending it back down low so Ellis can do something with it.

BTW: Downey got 7:20 of ice time last night. Ellis and Kopa were just over 9:00. This is exactly what I was talking about last week when Kopa was getting 13 or more to Downey's 2-3 minutes. Downey has proven he can do 5-7 minutes without hurting us (+1) :)

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

Downey/Kopo/Drake line would be naise.

Didnt Kopecky get into a fight with brad may in the ahl and put the hut on him pretty good and the annoucer kept saying "get him brad may. get him brad may" anyway.

I think if Kopo started seeing Downey and Drake knockin some heads Kopecky has the backup to start being a physical force. IDK. but id love that.

i think it's more a result of our playoff performance last year..

they're not afraid to get chippy now..

downey and drake have certainly helped though

i think it's more a result of our playoff performance last year..

I would have to agree with this assessment. Adding a few more grind-it-out type players in Drake and Downey -- and a healthy Kopecky that has improved since the start of the season -- and you've got a recipe for a team that will grind it out when it needs to.

It's been a pleasure to watch, for sure. I think the playoff run last season really cemented this club as "Babcock's Team" -- they're 100% into the program, he has his guys playing hard every night and -- most importantly -- their stars are healthy (Hasek notwithstanding).

This team is *definitely*, in Babcock's words, "greasy" and difficult to play against.

It's been great to see an enforcer in a Wings uniform, even though I wouldn't call Downey a heavyweight. He works hard, he fights when he has to, and he crashes the net offensively (literally). I don't think that he'll be in the lineup, though, when all our injured players come back.

I agree that Drake with a cage on makes him a lot less useful. And he hasn't been off to a great start this year, minus the fights. OVerall though it's not just name recognition, Drake isn't supertalented but is a better overall player than Downey, even at his age.

It'd be nice to have them both out there mucking it up.

True dat. Drake has not played well imo. Downey, despite his 2 giveaways a night in the offensive zone is still playing better. Tell you what though, the game prior to this Downey cycled very well with Ellis and Kopa. Last night I did see him give it away at least twice. I'd like to see him be just a tad more patient with the puck. That blind behind the back centering pass was atrocious. He really should stick to keeping that puck along the wall. Unless he's facing the goal with an opportunity to put in on net or pass I really don't want to see Downey doing anytihng with the puck other than sending it back down low so Ellis can do something with it.

BTW: Downey got 7:20 of ice time last night. Ellis and Kopa were just over 9:00. This is exactly what I was talking about last week when Kopa was getting 13 or more to Downey's 2-3 minutes. Downey has proven he can do 5-7 minutes without hurting us (+1) :)

you even mentioned yourself the two giveaways a night. They haven't hurt us yet, but will eventually.

Anything over 5 minutes is too much for Downey in my opinion. Keep him 3-5 max. I don't see Downey playing these kind of minutes when Drake is healthy.

and while I'm sure Downey has some part in it, I think you're giving him way too much credit for this physical team. As someone else mentioned, I think it has more to do with how they played in the playoffs last year. They picked up where they left off, instead of going back to the wilting flowers they were during the regular season last year.

I'd agree if he were without a cage. What benefit to the team does Drake really provide over Downey? Ive yet to see anyone give a good reason, I think people are just totally going off of name value here. He's Dallas Drake, hence he should play over Aaron Downey.

Big game experience, better skating, better defensively, can play the penalty kill, can get it on the forecheck. Look, I like what Downey is doing and I was one of the first to say without the fights Drake wouldn't be nearly as endeared but the fact remains that Drake has always been an everyday player, Downey isn't. Drake wasn't put in the lineup to fight anyway.

Edited by Heaton

Will be interesting to see how the top brass play it when both Drake and Franzen are of IR's. Ellis has done well and Downey has done his job when asked. Its a tough call, but on the current set up its hard to leave either of them out. Could be we may see the scartches being not being so clear cut as in previous years. Drake, Hudler, Kopecky, Downey and Ellis could rotate for th 3 places between them. ON current form i'd go for drake sitting instead of Ellis. Interseting decision's for Babs for sure.

I have a feeling that it will be Ellis, Kopecky and Downey rotating through. Well, unless Hudler doesn't get his act together anyway.

Depending on how the season unfolds Downey could set a career high for games in a season.

I love our style of play this year. It's like keepaway in their zone, the possession, the speed, quick strikes, dom flopping around, ozzie the commedian!

Downey and "The Drake" throwing knuckles when needed, even Huddles with his little man syndrome getting in to the scrum yesterday!

We're not as big or as young, or even as heavy... So-frickin' what!!

Big game experience, better skating, better defensively, can play the penalty kill, can get it on the forecheck. Look, I like what Downey is doing and I was one of the first to say without the fights Drake wouldn't be nearly as endeared but the fact remains that Drake has always been an everyday player, Downey isn't. Drake wasn't put in the lineup to fight anyway.

The fact that he's been an everyday player in the past shouldnt matter. Drake has not looked very good at all, i know +/- isnt everything but -5??? Can you imagine if Downey was that? Drake may be better defensively, but it sure isnt showing. Drake wasnt brought here to fight, but he was brought here to hit and be physical. Do you think he's going to be out there crashing and banging with a fractured cheek? Doubtful. Obviously Drake is more likely to chip in the once in a while goal than Downey, but that doesnt outweigh the difference in what Downey will provide physicallly over an injured Drake.

Here's what i've noticed thus far this season:

1. None of our guys are hesitating to get into scrums and shove people out of our crease after whistles. Even Datsyuk and Hudler got involved last night when the Sharks started scrums after the whistle.

This happened a lot last playoffs so I'm not shocked that it's still going on. I don't think fans in here should be that shocked about it.

2. Kirk Maltby is playing far better offensively and seems to have more jump in his step than in past years. Frankly, he hasn't played this well since Mac or Kocur was in the lineup.

Absolutely 100% agreement.

IMO, much of this can be attributed to Downey's presence in the lineup and to a lesser extent, Drake's.

Anybody think i'm full of crap and that maybe there's no difference at all between this year and the past couple? I'd like to know if anyone sees what i'm seeing or if i'm just seeing what I want to see.

Cheers!

GO DOWNEY!!!!

Downey has been fun to watch in his limited ice time, but I don't want people to think he is all of a sudden a demi-god or has been the end-of-all-end solutions to "grit" or "enforcement" or "toughness" that people have been going back and forth in here at least 6 or 700 times.

Downey and Drake have certainly helped, but this theme was present in last playoffs again. I attribute it much more to that.

Obviously Drake is more likely to chip in the once in a while goal than Downey, but that doesnt outweigh the difference in what Downey will provide physicallly over an injured Drake.

But Drake provides the ability to take regular shifts. If this were the playoffs, would you want Downey out there getting 4 minutes a game? Or Drake out there getting 8-10 minutes?

I have no problem with Downey playing, I have no problem with Drake playing, I don't think it's a major issue if either play.

Edited by Heaton

But Drake provides the ability to take regular shifts. If this were the playoffs, would you want Downey out there getting 4 minutes a game? Or Drake out there getting 8-10 minutes?

I have no problem with Downey playing, I have no problem with Drake playing, I don't think it's a major issue if either play.

With Drake's injury I would say Downey with how he is currently playing. If Drake's healthy then I would be inclined to give the nod to him.

I dont want to see Downey lose his spot unless its warranted. So far, the guy's been nothing but a positive. A fighter needs to be in the lineup, I know we dont agree on that but thats how i see it. Drake is incapable of fighting, and I dont even count Lilja (sorry GMRwings ;) ). If they wanna throw in Drake -light over Kopecky, then fine. But for the sake of Downey providing what the team is missing ...it shouldnt be him as the odd man out.