#41 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(DaKineMaui @ November 3, 2007 - 01:56PM) View Post

Well I guess he was in a restaurant and not a Church but:

"After one of Team Canada's games Iginla was having dinner with his family when he was told there were four fans from Calgary at the next table. Iginla got up and talked to the four men, who had driven all the way to Utah to see the Canadian hockey team without tickets or even a place to stay. He discovered that they had been sleeping in their car in a hotel parking lot. The hockey star excused himself from the conversation. The four men were thrilled that they had spoken with one of their home-town heroes, but Iginla returned to their table about 15 minutes later. He informed the four shocked fans that he had booked them into the same hotel as his family. The men later found out that Iginla had also picked up the tab."

aloha

Judgeth not or for thou shalt be upon judgethment unto thine self and Armegedd.........
(I forget the rest.......it's in Revelation people.)

On the ice. I'm sure(and apparently) he's nice off the ice.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#42 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,876 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

Nice story on Iginla, although I am not sure that proves anything about his religious beliefs/affiliation. It is certainly consistant with the way Christians are supposed to act, but I know a lot of non-Christians who also act that nicely.

All the same, it's nice to hear about guys like that. Thanks for sharing the story.

#43 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(Jeremy88 @ October 30, 2007 - 07:19AM) View Post

I thought Dats was communist...
nah j/k

If Pavel is communist, how much of his $7mil would he keep and how much of it would he give to the commune?

#44 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(T.Low @ November 4, 2007 - 11:36AM) View Post

If Pavel is communist, how much of his $7mil would he keep and how much of it would he give to the commune?

Close to 7 million of it.

#45 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

I pray for the Wings..I know it might sound silly but I do. When I was young I'd pray for every player every night. Ah ah.

And I'd pray for them for games...(why do you think we had a 62 win season???) but I just don't feel it's right for God to step in in the playoffs...that's cheating...like in Angels in the Outfield..haha.

Posted Image

#46 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,876 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Offsides @ November 4, 2007 - 08:29PM) View Post

I pray for the Wings..I know it might sound silly but I do. When I was young I'd pray for every player every night. Ah ah.

And I'd pray for them for games...(why do you think we had a 62 win season???) but I just don't feel it's right for God to step in in the playoffs...that's cheating...like in Angels in the Outfield..haha.

I agree. I was raised playing sports, (part of the time at parochial school) and this was back in the day when a generic optional team prayer before the game was allowed in public school. We never prayed for win because that was the same as praying against the other team, asking God to make them lose.
What we did pray for, and I do for the Wings and Lions to this day, is that everyone would be healthy, injuries would be few and not serious and that we'd all play to the best of our ability. After that, it was up to us.

#47 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Offsides @ November 4, 2007 - 09:29PM) View Post

OMG! I do the same thing. I though I was the only one! Every night I say "Dear Lord, please be with the Wings.(if they're playing away I say keep them safe) Let nobody get hurt and keep them all healthy. If it is your will, I pray that you will let them win their next game(If they just won a game I say thanks for the win). Let all the Red Wings who are Christians witness to those who aren't. All this I pray in your son Jesus' holy name. Amen"

No joke and I'll pray the same thing again tonight biggrin.gif I prayed so hard durring the WCF, and when we lost I was...I hate to say this, I was so pissed at God. In the Bible Matthew 21:22 says "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Umm I didn't recive. But then I also know that whatever God does He does for a reason so yeah.

For Cross Country we pray before we run, we don't pray to win we say "Let us do the best to our abillities and if it your will let us win the meet" We don't pray for the other teams to go into anaphylactic shock or anything. tongue.gif
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#48 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

I believe Drapes is Catholic...I have seen him wearing a gold Crucifix sometimes.

I remember seeing a news story on locak TV about Stu Grimson when he was with the Wings...it was about his seemingly contradictory life, in that he was a Christian who read his Bible every day but was one of the hardest-hitting players in the NHL with the nickname Grim Reaper.

As for Stevie, I don't know what religion he practices, if any at all, but I'd like to. Given his heritage (Dutch/German, from what I've read over the years), my guess is that he might be Lutheran or Protestant. Of course, who knows what may have transpired over the years since his ancestors came over from Europe. huh.gif

I agree with some of the others who said knowing the guys' religions is just another way to feel connected to the players, just as is knowing their ethnic backgrounds. It's like finding more common ground. It doesn't change my opinion of them at all.

Wingnut40 - I pray for the Wings too!! Very similar to your prayer. And yeah, I know sometimes it's hard to accept when we don't get what we pray for, especially since the Lord tells us we will. One of the most difficult things to do as a Christian is to accept that sometimes, what we want isn't God's will for us - or for the Wings. wink.gif Father knows best.
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#49 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Yzermania19 @ November 5, 2007 - 12:25PM) View Post

I remember seeing a news story on locak TV about Stu Grimson when he was with the Wings...it was about his seemingly contradictory life, in that he was a Christian who read his Bible every day but was one of the hardest-hitting players in the NHL with the nickname Grim Reaper.

Yeah, religion and violence are mutually exclusive. rolleyes.gif

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#50 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Yzermania19 @ November 5, 2007 - 02:25PM) View Post

Wingnut40 - I pray for the Wings too!! Very similar to your prayer. And yeah, I know sometimes it's hard to accept when we don't get what we pray for, especially since the Lord tells us we will. One of the most difficult things to do as a Christian is to accept that sometimes, what we want isn't God's will for us - or for the Wings. wink.gif Father knows best.

Awww you're my new best friend! The people on other boards are more criticizeing than on here. I like to know which players are which so I'll know who I'll see in heaven and I know who to pray for.

Glad to hear about Drapes. I wonder if that means Maltby is too. Seeing as how they're best friends, I would guess they share that common ground. I hope Stevie is too...heck, I hope they all are! laugh.gif

Edited by wingnut40, 05 November 2007 - 03:36 PM.

#51 hockeyh

hockeyh

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

I think I've heard/read that Curtis Brown and Cujo are Christians. I also read that Maltby was celebrating Easter by going to (some kind of) church.

#52 FUUFNF

FUUFNF

Let's Go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(wingnut40 @ November 5, 2007 - 12:35PM) View Post
I like to know which players are which so I'll know who I'll see in heaven and I know who to pray for.

so only christians are allowed into heaven and you only pray for other christians?

#53 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(FUUFNF @ November 5, 2007 - 06:21PM) View Post

so only christians are allowed into heaven and you only pray for other christians?

Yes and no. Believers in Christ(Christians) go to heaven and I want to pray for those who aren't Christians biggrin.gif . It's not the believers that need prayers it's the nonbelievers.
Luke 5:31 Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick".

#54 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

So Mathieu Schneider is going to burn in hell for all eternity? That's terrible, someone warn him!

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#55 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:41 AM

Watch it. This isn't a thread to argue about religion in.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#56 FUUFNF

FUUFNF

Let's Go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(wingnut40 @ November 5, 2007 - 06:17PM) View Post

Yes and no. Believers in Christ(Christians) go to heaven and I want to pray for those who aren't Christians biggrin.gif . It's not the believers that need prayers it's the nonbelievers.
Luke 5:31 Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick".

just out of curiosity, were you born and raised as a devout christian or are you a born-again? i'm guessing the latter.

Edited by FUUFNF, 06 November 2007 - 12:14 PM.

#57 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(wingnut40 @ November 5, 2007 - 09:17PM) View Post

That is highly debateable... but this thread is not the medium to do such. Just 'cause i am a certified, degreed up the ass designer.. doesn' t mean i never need training again.

Edited by OsGOD, 06 November 2007 - 12:35 PM.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#58 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ November 6, 2007 - 08:41AM) View Post

Watch it. This isn't a thread to argue about religion in.

well you know how some people are. tongue.gif

I'm sure every goalie believes in god. at least when the puck goes by them. "g*d Damn stupid puck!!!" hahah
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#59 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,876 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(hillbillywingsfan @ November 6, 2007 - 01:12PM) View Post

well you know how some people are. tongue.gif
I'm sure every goalie believes in god. at least when the puck goes by them. "g*d Damn stupid puck!!!" hahah

I'm sure that's not a form of worship. Otherwise Zata would be a missionary for excrement. I'm sure every goalie who has ever faced him has said "Holy s***!" biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I do agree with those who have posted about religious discussions and keeping them out of this thread. It's cool to find out things about players; it's not cool to be in the middle of someone who insists they are an animated dust bunny and someone who insists they are a severly mutated fish. I've been there. There is no winner, only hard feelings and the mods have to step in.

#60 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(FUUFNF @ November 6, 2007 - 12:10PM) View Post

just out of curiosity, were you born and raised as a devout christian or are you a born-again? i'm guessing the latter.

I don't want to sound ignorant, but I don't really see a difference. I know there is one, I just don't know what it is. :-/ I'm just an average Christian girl.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(OsGOD @ November 6, 2007 - 12:33PM) View Post

That is highly debateable... but this thread is not the medium to do such. Just 'cause i am a certified, degreed up the ass designer.. doesn' t mean i never need training again.

Touche smile.gif

QUOTE(55fan @ November 6, 2007 - 03:25PM) View Post

Seriously, though, I do agree with those who have posted about religious discussions and keeping them out of this thread. It's cool to find out things about players; it's not cool to be in the middle of someone who insists they are an animated dust bunny and someone who insists they are a severly mutated fish. I've been there. There is no winner, only hard feelings and the mods have to step in.

exactly! biggrin.gif

Edited by wingnut40, 06 November 2007 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users