91 replies to this topic

#61 Flip-check

Flip-check

kicking ass and taking Cups

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(wingnut40 @ November 6, 2007 - 03:35PM) View Post

I don't want to sound ignorant, but I don't really see a difference. I'm just an average Christian girl.
tongue.gif

There's a difference, just like I'm sure there are differences between varying styles of upbringing and nuances in ideology in Judaism and where/how you grew up within Islam.

I'm not sure what you identify as, but no faith has a cookie cutter mold. Different flavors and all that, good and bad.

Edited by Flip-check, 06 November 2007 - 04:16 PM.

No, it's definitely excitement.

#62 FUUFNF

FUUFNF

Let's Go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(wingnut40 @ November 6, 2007 - 12:35PM) View Post

I don't want to sound ignorant, but I don't really see a difference. I know there is one, I just don't know what it is. :-/ I'm just an average Christian girl.

most of the average, ordinary, run-of-the-mill christians i've ever had the pleasure to speak with believe that all good people, regardless of faith, will go to heaven.

on the contrary, the majority of christians i've ever met that insist that you must accept christ as your savior to be allowed into the heavenly kingdom have been of the born-again variety. these are the same christians that usually quote bible versus in everyday conversation, associate almost exclusively with other born-again christians, and try to convert everyone else they know to, as you may have already guessed by now, christianity.

whereas one type of christian tends to be more private about their faith, the other tend to be more zealous. at least, such has been the case in my own experiences and interpretation of the differences between.

#63 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ November 6, 2007 - 06:41AM) View Post

Watch it. This isn't a thread to argue about religion in.

Seriously people.

If you want to discuss what religion the Red Wings are fine. But that's it. Once people start talking about their personal views, the thread will inevitably go downhill. It was foretold in Revalations wink.gif

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#64 Sting 11

Sting 11

Burn 'em down, Ryan!!

• Gold Booster
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ November 6, 2007 - 07:41AM) View Post
Watch it. This isn't a thread to argue about religion in.

Agreed. Like BetterREDthandead said, this is a short leash thread. Keep it to discussion of Red Wings' religion exclusively, or the thread will disappear.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#65 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Sting 11 @ November 6, 2007 - 05:57PM) View Post

Agreed. Like BetterREDthandead said, this is a short leash thread. Keep it to discussion of Red Wings' religion exclusively, or the thread will disappear.

Yes it will, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#66 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(FUUFNF @ November 6, 2007 - 05:43PM) View Post

most of the average, ordinary, run-of-the-mill christians i've ever had the pleasure to speak with believe that all good people, regardless of faith, will go to heaven.

on the contrary, the majority of christians i've ever met that insist that you must accept christ as your savior to be allowed into the heavenly kingdom have been of the born-again variety. these are the same christians that usually quote bible versus in everyday conversation, associate almost exclusively with other born-again christians, and try to convert everyone else they know to, as you may have already guessed by now, christianity.

whereas one type of christian tends to be more private about their faith, the other tend to be more zealous. at least, such has been the case in my own experiences and interpretation of the differences between.

Yep, I agree with you. I'm like the first type you described - I believe all good people go to heaven, regardless of their faith.

I was born and raised in the faith I practice, but I respect others for their beliefs and would never think of telling someone they are condemned to hell because they don't believe in God the way I do.

But, to get this back on-topic, I remember when Shanny was here, he was often seen crossing himself at the end of the National Anthem. Some reporter asked him why he did that and he said he recites the Our Father and then adds a little request to his father at the end "Dad, help me do my best tonight." (for those who don't know, Shanny's father, Donal, died when Shanny was 21 of Alzheimer's Disease and never saw his son play in the NHL)
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#67 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(Yzermania19 @ November 6, 2007 - 07:40PM) View Post

But, to get this back on-topic, I remember when Shanny was here, he was often seen crossing himself at the end of the National Anthem. Some reporter asked him why he did that and he said he recites the Our Father and then adds a little request to his father at the end "Dad, help me do my best tonight." (for those who don't know, Shanny's father, Donal, died when Shanny was 21 of Alzheimer's Disease and never saw his son play in the NHL)

Awww, what a sweetheart! blush.gif
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#68 FUUFNF

FUUFNF

Let's Go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(wingnut40 @ November 6, 2007 - 03:50PM) View Post

Yes it will, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

then please refrain from the "I like to know which players are which so I'll know who I'll see in heaven and I know who to pray for" comments, because as a non-christian i find those comments way too tempting to not comment on.

smile.gif

#69 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(FUUFNF @ November 7, 2007 - 10:07AM) View Post

then please refrain from the "I like to know which players are which so I'll know who I'll see in heaven and I know who to pray for" comments, because as a non-christian i find those comments way too tempting to not comment on.

smile.gif

Exactly.

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#70 jaytan

jaytan

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(wingnut40 @ November 4, 2007 - 10:04PM) View Post

No joke and I'll pray the same thing again tonight biggrin.gif I prayed so hard durring the WCF, and when we lost I was...I hate to say this, I was so pissed at God. In the Bible Matthew 21:22 says "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Umm I didn't recive. But then I also know that whatever God does He does for a reason so yeah.

Don't be pissed at god. He just likes Gary Bettman better than you. tongue.gif
Hail Jaytan!

#71 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(jaytan @ November 7, 2007 - 01:09PM) View Post

Don't be pissed at god. He just likes Gary Bettman better than you. tongue.gif

I'm not pissed anymore silly head tongue.gif I know God knows what He's doing hehe.gif

OK, no more LGW member religion/denomination discussion. All gone bye-bye, no more. Let's stick to the Wing-a-dings! Mm kay pumpkin? I'm happy today and I don't know why. :/

Oh Izzy24, my PE teacher has a waterbottle with that dog from Ferris on it. I immediately thought of you. OK, I'm done with this post now. D-U-N-N...am I Brooks with it too? Huh, huh get it? biggrin.gif

Edited by wingnut40, 07 November 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#72 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(wingnut40 @ November 7, 2007 - 02:52PM) View Post

I'm not pissed anymore silly head tongue.gif I know God knows what He's doing hehe.gif

OK, no more LGW member religion/denomination discussion. All gone bye-bye, no more. Let's stick to the Wing-a-dings! Mm kay pumpkin? I'm happy today and I don't know why. :/

Oh Izzy24, my PE teacher has a waterbottle with that dog from Ferris on it. I immediately thought of you. OK, I'm done with this post now. D-U-N-N...am I Brooks with it too? Huh, huh get it? biggrin.gif

S/he has good taste.

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#73 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:32 AM

GUYS IT WORKED AGAIN!!!! Last night I was watching the game *duh* and I know how we usually score only 3 goals. I figured with all the central teams stepping up that that wasn't going to be enough to win games anymore. So, after Homer scored I said "Lord, please let the Wings score at least 2 more goals" AND THEY DID! I was also praying that Hank could continue his point streak. And then what happens? A beautigul goal at 1:28. F yeah baby!

Why is our team so freakishly amazing? biggrin.gif Seriously why are they so sick?!?!?! sly.gif

Oh, I saw Datsyuk cross himself last game right before the 3rd period it was so cute.
It was so funny when they were talking to Larry Murphy between the benches and Cheli comes up and waves right in his face. And Muphy's like "Thanks Cheli" Oh Lord, Cheli's so sick!

Edited by wingnut40, 10 November 2007 - 10:36 AM.

#74 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

As in most professional sports the players are all bible-huggers when they win.

Ever here a professional athlete after the game say: "Yeah everything was FINE untill JESUS mad me fumble the ball on the 2 yd line with 45 seconds to go..................."?

I guess what I'm saying is - why does anyone care if an NHL player is a Christian or not? Fair retort no?

aloha

#75 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE(DaKineMaui @ November 11, 2007 - 03:16PM) View Post

As in most professional sports the players are all bible-huggers when they win.

Ever here a professional athlete after the game say: "Yeah everything was FINE untill JESUS mad me fumble the ball on the 2 yd line with 45 seconds to go..................."?

I guess what I'm saying is - why does anyone care if an NHL player is a Christian or not? Fair retort no?

aloha

There are people who don't care, I'm sure. For me, it's just a curiosity...like I said before it is another thing to maybe have in common with the players, like driving the same car or liking the same music. Whether they practice the religion I do or none at all doesn't change my opinion of the players.
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#76 Legendary D In 03

Legendary D In 03

San Diego Wings Fan!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:33 AM

So, lemme guess. You didn't pray at all during the Hawks game tonight? Because obviously, if you did, we would've won, right?
Word,
LDi03
A complex man drawn off of simplicity.

#77 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE(Yzermania19 @ November 11, 2007 - 07:29PM) View Post

There are people who don't care, I'm sure. For me, it's just a curiosity...like I said before it is another thing to maybe have in common with the players, like driving the same car or liking the same music. Whether they practice the religion I do or none at all doesn't change my opinion of the players.

Fair enough.

aloha

#78 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Legendary D In 03 @ November 12, 2007 - 12:33AM) View Post

So, lemme guess. You didn't pray at all during the Hawks game tonight? Because obviously, if you did, we would've won, right?

No, I did, sad.gif but God didn't want them to win for some reason. sad.gif I don't think they played to hot last night. The puck was bouncing all over the place, it didn't look like they were paying attention, and the seemed to be dumping the puck more than usual. If we win the rest of the November games and the 1st two in December, then we'll break the record. smile.gif

#79 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

Maybe a Blackhawks fan prayed harder.

#80 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Izzy24 @ November 12, 2007 - 04:07PM) View Post

Maybe a Blackhawks fan prayed harder.

laugh.gif clap.gif

Hey guys, I know you all think I'm really stupid for starting this topic, but thanks for handling it with respect and not criticizing me for it or making me feel like a fool. smile.gif

Edited by wingnut40, 12 November 2007 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users