• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

Oh, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. David Booth is a Christian too. His brother graduated from my school last year. I think that's pretty dang cool! laugh.gif
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#82 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

I know this topic was discussed quite a while ago but when I saw these articles I felt they were relevant to the discussion.

There's an article in today's Detroit News about hockey players and religion - basically it is about why religious players aren't as open about their faith as players in other sports.

"One of the most religious guys you could ever meet was Stu Grimson," Melrose said of the former feared enforcer, who played for the Wings and six other teams. "He didn't run around telling people about it, but he's one of the deepest Christians you can meet. The thing is, hockey's tradition is all about maintaining your privacy. Guys don't go around talking about religion, or a fight they had with their wife, in the locker room. It's like a zone that you respect that way.

"So I just don't think hockey's made it so a guy like Reggie White or a (Jon) Kitna would just show up declaring their love for Christ. But maybe that's why hockey doesn't get the attention like other sports. Maybe we are too private about everything."

And it turns out Pavel Datsyuk is one of the more religious current Red Wings -

Forward Pavel Datsyuk was born in 1978, during a time in his native Russia where religious expression was denied by the communist government. But he still is religious.

Datsyuk has a small, three-picture traditional Russian Orthodox icon shrine -- Mary, Christ and St. Nikolai -- in the left corner of his locker.

"I believe," Datsyuk said, holding the photos in his hands. "They are very important to me. I believe because I can."

Here's the link to the whole article - NHL embraces religion, but keeps faith more private

And here's one, also from today's paper, about displays of faith with the other Detroit sports teams - Tigers, Lions, Pistons and Shock - Prayer is a key player
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#83 omnipotent_hudler

omnipotent_hudler

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:36 AM

I'm thankful for the fact that in hockey the athletes tend to keep their religion more to themselves... Something I cannot stand in sports is what 2007 Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow most recently did. Won the award... got up on stage and started his speech by basically saying " i'd like to thank Jesus for giving me the ability to play football".
Seriously. Yeah, wow, I'm sure that makes everyone feel great.
Tebow: "Thanks for giving me these awesome genes and opportunities god!"
Average joe working dead end job: "Thanks for these average genes and lack of opportunities god!"
Starving man in Ethiopia: "Thanks for letting me starve to death god!"
By "thanking" God for his success he is basically implicitly implying that God himself is smiling down upon him and not 99% of everyone else in the world. It just sounds so bloody arrogant to me.
I wish more athletes(and movie stars etc.) would follow the example of hockey players in this regard.

#84 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:59 AM

I'll break the rules and post even though I don't know for sure who is or isn't, but I have heard that around 90% of Canadians are Christians, which would lead me to think that a majority of NHL players are Christians.

#85 omnipotent_hudler

omnipotent_hudler

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

I'll break the rules and post even though I don't know for sure who is or isn't, but I have heard that around 90% of Canadians are Christians, which would lead me to think that a majority of NHL players are Christians.

Oh, I don't think anyone would dispute that at all. You might find that a higher percentage of Swedes and Finns are agnostic or atheistic than North Americans in the league, but i'd say the number of Christians in the league is probably between 85-90%.

#86 jaytan

jaytan

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(omnipotent_hudler @ December 19, 2007 - 09:36AM) View Post

I'm thankful for the fact that in hockey the athletes tend to keep their religion more to themselves... Something I cannot stand in sports is what 2007 Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow most recently did. Won the award... got up on stage and started his speech by basically saying " i'd like to thank Jesus for giving me the ability to play football".
Seriously. Yeah, wow, I'm sure that makes everyone feel great.
Tebow: "Thanks for giving me these awesome genes and opportunities god!"
Average joe working dead end job: "Thanks for these average genes and lack of opportunities god!"
Starving man in Ethiopia: "Thanks for letting me starve to death god!"
By "thanking" God for his success he is basically implicitly implying that God himself is smiling down upon him and not 99% of everyone else in the world. It just sounds so bloody arrogant to me.
I wish more athletes(and movie stars etc.) would follow the example of hockey players in this regard.

laugh.gif

I wish somebody would pull a reversal and say, "First and foremost, I'd like to thank the dark lord Lucifer for blessing me with such amazing althetic skill and luck in exchange for my immortal soul. I never could have done it without you, Lucy."

Just to remind everyone how ridiculous it is to thank a deity for winning an award or game or whatever.
Hail Jaytan!

#87 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(toby91_ca @ December 19, 2007 - 09:59AM) View Post

That number struck me immediately as being high.

Here

IPB Image

Link
Religion in Canada

QUOTE(omnipotent_hudler @ December 19, 2007 - 10:31AM) View Post

Oh, I don't think anyone would dispute that at all. You might find that a higher percentage of Swedes and Finns are agnostic or atheistic than North Americans in the league, but i'd say the number of Christians in the league is probably between 85-90%.

Yeah, looks like 70-75% of people in Canada are some kind of Christian. I would imagine that rate would change over to the Canadian players in the league, so you are probably not far off.

But, it also depends what you consider a Christian. I bet many were brought up with a loose understanding of Christianity, but don't practice anymore.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#88 omnipotent_hudler

omnipotent_hudler

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Yzerfan1999 @ December 19, 2007 - 03:14PM) View Post

But, it also depends what you consider a Christian. I bet many were brought up with a loose understanding of Christianity, but don't practice anymore.

This is true... If i remember correctly, in America at least( and more so in Europe as well), the discrepancy between those who identify themselves as "Christians" and those who practice(attending church more than once a year etc.) is quite high.

#89 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:48 AM

I agree - I think some people who identify themselves as being some sort of "Christian" are just saying they believe in the Christian God, and/or are not necessarily practicing any sort of organized religion. Maybe they were raised in church and have since fallen away but still consider themselves Catholic, Protestant, Methodist, etc., even though the last time they went to church was Easter 1997 or for Cousin Norma's wedding. lol wink.gif

Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#90 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:19 AM

Just a reminder, the scope of this thread is limited to discussion of which Red Wings are Christian. Want to have a deep discussion about religion? Go to the PD forum.

Carry on wink.gif

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#91 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Yzermania19 @ December 18, 2007 - 06:46PM)
And it turns out Pavel Datsyuk is one of the more religious current Red Wings -

When I read the part about Pasha's faith, it gave me a little more insight into the person that we don't get to see much of. It is so much a part of him, and I know it means an awful lot to him to be able to practice his faith. It is another side to the special person he is.

Posted Image

#92 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Didn't mean for it to post twice - sorry!

Edited by Kira, 25 December 2007 - 07:34 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users