• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aflac9262

10/30 GDT: Red Wings 2, Oilers 1

Rate this topic

One advantage of being on the West Coast is you get first look at the GDT in all its magnificence :D

So here's the big difference between the Wings and Oilers that I see.

On the Oilers, the top pair of defensemen is Steve Staios and Ladislav Smid. On the Wings, a friggin' legend of the game is listed as 3rd pairing.

Folks, this is not a playoff team the Wings are facing tonight.

When has that gotten in our way? It's an excellent chance to play down tonight. ;)

I think they'll handle the Oilers like Phoenix though: Keep it close, then shut it down in the 3rd.

If Malts repeats slicing pucks past Dwayne-O then all the better!

Guest Jeremy88

We already lost twice to a non-playoff team this year

Zetterberg is going to continue to dominant and post another 2 goals and 2 assists. While Holmstrom will deflect a shot from the point off his skate and Refs will call goalie interfernece and he gets a penalty and the goal is waived off.....

WIng win big.

Red WIngs: 6 (Zetterebrg 2, Rafalski, Cleary, Franzen, Rex)

Oilers: 2 (Penner, Horcoff)

Guest Canadian Wings

Franzen, Drake join lineup; Hasek, Kronwall still out

Update from practice Monday in Edmonton:

Wings coach Mike Babcock said Johan Franzen (sprained knee) and Dallas Drake (fractured cheekbone) will be inserted into the lineup for Tuesday's game. He said Matt Ellis and Aaron Downey are likely to be scratched. Franzen will center the fourth line with Drake and Kopecky as Babcock wants to keep intact the No. 2 scoring line with Valtteri Filppula, Mikael Samuelsson and Jiri Hudler. At least, that was the plan after practice.

Babcock was surprised that Niklas Kronwall (groin) didn't practice Monday, saying Kronwall told him the day before that he'd be able to go. He won't play Tuesday. Groin injuries tend to linger, so it wouldn't be surprising if he took a week or so off.

Chris Osgood will start in net. Dominik Hasek (irritated hip) didn't skate. Hasek said he might skate in the next couple of days, but he definitely won't play on this trip. Hasek didn't seem too concerned about the injury, saying he doesn't believe it'll be long-term. The way Osgood is playing, there's certainly no reason to rush Hasek.

Guest Canadian Wings

if we don't win with their top two D out...then i dunno whut to say lul

Another interesting stat about tonight's game - oldest team, Wings, versus the youngest, Edmonton.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...0d2&k=38609

When it comes to the physical statistics of the game, the numbers don't seem to add up for the Red Wings. On average, the Wings are the oldest (30.5 years), smallest (72 inches) and lightest (195 pounds) team in the NHL. While 45-year-old Chris Chelios and 42-year-old Dominik Hasek distort the Wings' average age, there's no arguing with the tape measure. Wings players are on average 18.5 pounds lighter than the heaviest team (San Jose, 213.5 pounds) and almost 2 1/2 inches shorter than the tall trees in Washington (74.4 inches). Edmonton is the NHL's youngest team with an average age of 26.6 years.
Edited by auxlepli

So the general feel around here is we will lose because we should win easily ?

The Wings ARE simply better than the Oilers at this point.

So granted, we should win.

Hopefully Babcock and the players are aware of the pitfalls these kind of games tend to be sometimes.

So they'll be prepared and hungry for consecutive win number 6.

let's go boys !!

7-1 (I'm really not kidding)

Good trivia question. I'm going to go with Shanahan, although I'm pretty sure its incorrect.

As for the game, the wings are going to win (of course)

4-2

Homer, Zetterberg, Hudler, Cleary

Penner, Penner (only cuz I can't think of any other Oilers at the moment)