119 replies to this topic

#1 Canadian Wings

Canadian Wings

bullocks

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

The Detroit Red Wings have officially joined the fraternity of teams looking to add Peter Forsberg to their roster.

Forsberg's announcement that he will be playing for Team Sweden in November has piqued the interest of Detroit, reports the Free Press.

"We're interested, but let’s factor in money, let’s factor in term, let’s factor in our needs," Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

The Wings pursued Forsberg in 2005 when he was a free agent before he ultimately ended up signing in Philadelphia.

http://www2.sportsne..._forsberg_hunt/

#2 Lollipop

Lollipop

Small price to pay for self esteem, Michael.

• Silver Booster
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

Yuck.

Sig made by the always fabulous Offsides.

#3 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

Couldnt hurt to pick him up.

#NOMOREKINDL

#4 zata40

zata40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

puke.gif NO!
Posted Image

#5 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

it couldnt hurt, but im glad to read the other part that kenny is making sure the money and terms benefit the wings and dont leave us in trouble when it comes to signing other key components of our team
IPB Image
IPB Image

#6 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Go for it!

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:06 PM

I was all for this a while ago, but we're doing so well. Our depth is clicking and the NHL has recognized the Wings as one of the deepest teams in the league. Now that things are clicking, do we really want to mess with the chemistry? We haven't had a team with this much chemistry in a long time. Throwing in a new player, especially a diva, could seriously mess things up. The only way this would work is if they split up Hank and Dats, which we really dont' want to happen.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 DetroitIan

DetroitIan

^^^^ The Dark Defender

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Don't believe it. The Red Wings are not interested. Not to mention, Forsberg isnt interested in Detroit. He will go back to the Avs, or the Sens will sign him. Either that, or he will play in Sweden. Either way, we will NEVER see Foppa in the Winged Wheel. Thank God.
What time is it??? IT'S HOMER TIME!!!

Yzerman is God.

LGWer since June '02.

#9 wingnut22

wingnut22

F#$%!

• Silver Booster
  • 1,018 posts

no mad.gif

Posted Image
"They are younger. We are not called younger anymore. Except to Cheli. To him, everyone is younger." - Pavel Datsyuk

#10 Zeta Power 40

Zeta Power 40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:09 PM

lets do it!
Red Wings, My Red Wings, Come On Wings, Lets Fly!!!

#11 Flip-check

Flip-check

kicking ass and taking Cups

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

"We're interested, but let’s factor in money, let’s factor in term, let’s factor in our needs," Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

rolleyes.gif

However, I don't see it happening.

It'd be nice to give him a shot though since we'll be needing that depth to our sorely depleted roster. Keyword that is very applicable with this team: Depleted. This is not the same depth squad that we once had a blue moon ago.

Edited by Flip-check, 30 October 2007 - 11:27 PM.

No, it's definitely excitement.

#12 Grittzkey

Grittzkey

L L L L SAD FACE

• HoF Booster
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

id like it..

it wont happen..

Lebda - Your Off The Team... My most used quote during the games.

#13 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

f*** Forsberg.
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#14 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:44 PM

As prone to injury as he is, he is everything our team is lacking right now. We wouldn't have to rely solely on the DZH line for victories; heck it might even be worth a second look to break that line up with Forsberg in the roster.
Dats, Homer, Filpulla
Zetterberg, Forsberg, Franzen

I'll admit, I'm skeptical that it will happen and a bit nervous of what we're risking if it were actually to happen, but I know I would have a huge smile on my face thinking of the potential he could bring to the team if he were to sign with us.

#15 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:45 PM

I'm indifferent about him as a Wing, but realistically, I don't think it's very likely to happen.

-Elliot

#16 wingswillwincup

wingswillwincup

4th Line Grinder

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

if forsberg was centering the 2nd line with the young kids hudler and filppula just imagine the seasons they'd have ...... im aware some of you think he's old , finished and also hes an ex avalanche so you hate him but facts are if he's healthy for the playoffs which is all that matters and it doesnt cost us a crazy amount of cash then we'd be fools to pass up on him , and holland's no fool

#17 DaWingsin071

DaWingsin071

DaWingsin071

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

It's been a while since I last posted, I dont understand some of you. If Forskin is finally healthy with his ankle and stuff, you would not want to add him to your roster? I think this what makes Holland look like a genius that he is, he always knows the inside scoop wether players are healthy or not. If Mr. Floppa is available I say grab him. Teams are fearing us now think what happens when we put in Forsberg. Think of the never ending line combos. I say do it if he has a great weekend in Sweeden. Bring him on the Sweedish Wings.

GO WINGS

#18 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

yeah, why would the Wings want a big forward with great playmaking skills who's a beast in the playoffs??

Of course they're interested. Like Holland pointed out though, cost and term are the big question marks.

If he's healthy, I'd be okay with them signing him at the trade deadline. They signed Bertuzzi last year for chrissakes, and people have a problem with Floppa? He fits a lot of what this team needs.

QUOTE(DaWingsin071 @ October 30, 2007 - 09:58PM) View Post

It's been a while since I last posted, I dont understand some of you. If Forskin is finally healthy with his ankle and stuff, you would not want to add him to your roster? I think this what makes Holland look like a genius that he is, he always knows the inside scoop wether players are healthy or not. If Mr. Floppa is available I say grab him. Teams are fearing us now think what happens when we put in Forsberg. Think of the never ending line combos. I say do it if he has a great weekend in Sweeden. Bring him on the Sweedish Wings.

GO WINGS

exactly.

Put any combination of Zetterberg, Forsberg, Datsyuk and Holmstrom on the ice and you'll have opposing goaltenders drenching their fancy new Reebok jerseys with cold sweat.

#19 DetroitIan

DetroitIan

^^^^ The Dark Defender

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE(DaWingsin071 @ October 31, 2007 - 12:58AM) View Post

If Forskin is finally healthy with his ankle and stuff, you would not want to add him to your roster?
GO WINGS

That's the whole point. Well, for me anyways. Floppsberg will NEVER stay healthy. Ever. So whats the point of signing a guy that will sit on IR 85% of the time? Sure, if there was somehow a guaruntee of health, then you would have to be out of your mind to not want a great hockey player on your squad. But thats just not a reality. He is frail, and getting even older year by year. No matter who this guy plays for, he will hardley get a chance to even be out on the ice. So basically the Red Wings signing him would be a huge waste of time and money.

Edited by DetroitIan, 31 October 2007 - 12:07 AM.

What time is it??? IT'S HOMER TIME!!!

Yzerman is God.

LGWer since June '02.

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(DetroitIan @ October 30, 2007 - 10:06PM) View Post

That's the whole point. Well, for me anyways. Floppsberg will NEVER stay healthy. Ever. So whats the point of signing a guy that will sit on IR 85% of the time? Sure, if there was somehow a guaruntee of health, then you would have to be out of your mind to not want a great hockey player on your squad. But thats just not a reality. He is frail, and getting even older year by year. No matter who this guy plays for, he will hardley get a chance to even be out on the ice. So basically the Red Wings signing him would be a huge waste of time and money.

Not if he was a trade deadline rental.

Ultimately I think there's little chance the Wings will sign him, as I'm guessing he's looking for a longer term than a rental, and probably more cash than Holland is willing to part with.