• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Canadian Wings

Wings join Forsberg hunt

Rate this topic

Guest Canadian Wings
The Detroit Red Wings have officially joined the fraternity of teams looking to add Peter Forsberg to their roster.

Forsberg's announcement that he will be playing for Team Sweden in November has piqued the interest of Detroit, reports the Free Press.

"We're interested, but let’s factor in money, let’s factor in term, let’s factor in our needs," Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

The Wings pursued Forsberg in 2005 when he was a free agent before he ultimately ended up signing in Philadelphia.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hear..._forsberg_hunt/

it couldnt hurt, but im glad to read the other part that kenny is making sure the money and terms benefit the wings and dont leave us in trouble when it comes to signing other key components of our team

I was all for this a while ago, but we're doing so well. Our depth is clicking and the NHL has recognized the Wings as one of the deepest teams in the league. Now that things are clicking, do we really want to mess with the chemistry? We haven't had a team with this much chemistry in a long time. Throwing in a new player, especially a diva, could seriously mess things up. The only way this would work is if they split up Hank and Dats, which we really dont' want to happen.

Guest DetroitIan

Don't believe it. The Red Wings are not interested. Not to mention, Forsberg isnt interested in Detroit. He will go back to the Avs, or the Sens will sign him. Either that, or he will play in Sweden. Either way, we will NEVER see Foppa in the Winged Wheel. Thank God.

"We're interested, but let̢۪s factor in money, let̢۪s factor in term, let̢۪s factor in our needs," Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

:rolleyes:

However, I don't see it happening.

It'd be nice to give him a shot though since we'll be needing that depth to our sorely depleted roster. Keyword that is very applicable with this team: Depleted. This is not the same depth squad that we once had a blue moon ago.

Edited by Flip-check

As prone to injury as he is, he is everything our team is lacking right now. We wouldn't have to rely solely on the DZH line for victories; heck it might even be worth a second look to break that line up with Forsberg in the roster.

Dats, Homer, Filpulla

Zetterberg, Forsberg, Franzen

I'll admit, I'm skeptical that it will happen and a bit nervous of what we're risking if it were actually to happen, but I know I would have a huge smile on my face thinking of the potential he could bring to the team if he were to sign with us.

Guest wingswillwincup

if forsberg was centering the 2nd line with the young kids hudler and filppula just imagine the seasons they'd have ...... im aware some of you think he's old , finished and also hes an ex avalanche so you hate him but facts are if he's healthy for the playoffs which is all that matters and it doesnt cost us a crazy amount of cash then we'd be fools to pass up on him , and holland's no fool

It's been a while since I last posted, I dont understand some of you. If Forskin is finally healthy with his ankle and stuff, you would not want to add him to your roster? I think this what makes Holland look like a genius that he is, he always knows the inside scoop wether players are healthy or not. If Mr. Floppa is available I say grab him. Teams are fearing us now think what happens when we put in Forsberg. Think of the never ending line combos. I say do it if he has a great weekend in Sweeden. Bring him on the Sweedish Wings.

GO WINGS

yeah, why would the Wings want a big forward with great playmaking skills who's a beast in the playoffs??

Of course they're interested. Like Holland pointed out though, cost and term are the big question marks.

If he's healthy, I'd be okay with them signing him at the trade deadline. They signed Bertuzzi last year for chrissakes, and people have a problem with Floppa? He fits a lot of what this team needs.

It's been a while since I last posted, I dont understand some of you. If Forskin is finally healthy with his ankle and stuff, you would not want to add him to your roster? I think this what makes Holland look like a genius that he is, he always knows the inside scoop wether players are healthy or not. If Mr. Floppa is available I say grab him. Teams are fearing us now think what happens when we put in Forsberg. Think of the never ending line combos. I say do it if he has a great weekend in Sweeden. Bring him on the Sweedish Wings.

GO WINGS

exactly.

Put any combination of Zetterberg, Forsberg, Datsyuk and Holmstrom on the ice and you'll have opposing goaltenders drenching their fancy new Reebok jerseys with cold sweat.

Guest DetroitIan

If Forskin is finally healthy with his ankle and stuff, you would not want to add him to your roster?

GO WINGS

That's the whole point. Well, for me anyways. Floppsberg will NEVER stay healthy. Ever. So whats the point of signing a guy that will sit on IR 85% of the time? Sure, if there was somehow a guaruntee of health, then you would have to be out of your mind to not want a great hockey player on your squad. But thats just not a reality. He is frail, and getting even older year by year. No matter who this guy plays for, he will hardley get a chance to even be out on the ice. So basically the Red Wings signing him would be a huge waste of time and money.

Edited by DetroitIan

That's the whole point. Well, for me anyways. Floppsberg will NEVER stay healthy. Ever. So whats the point of signing a guy that will sit on IR 85% of the time? Sure, if there was somehow a guaruntee of health, then you would have to be out of your mind to not want a great hockey player on your squad. But thats just not a reality. He is frail, and getting even older year by year. No matter who this guy plays for, he will hardley get a chance to even be out on the ice. So basically the Red Wings signing him would be a huge waste of time and money.

Not if he was a trade deadline rental.

Ultimately I think there's little chance the Wings will sign him, as I'm guessing he's looking for a longer term than a rental, and probably more cash than Holland is willing to part with.

What are you talking about? Forsberg played in 57 games last year (55 points) and 60 games the year before that (75 points) Not to mention the fact that he's probably only missed about 10 playoff games in his entire career, including the year he missed the entire regular season and came back and put up 27 points in 20 out of Colorado's 21 playoff games. He might be a gimp, but he gets it done when it counts.

Guest DetroitIan

What are you talking about? Forsberg played in 57 games last year (55 points) and 60 games the year before that (75 points) Not to mention the fact that he's probably only missed about 10 playoff games in his entire career, including the year he missed the entire regular season and came back and put up 27 points in 20 out of Colorado's 21 playoff games. He might be a gimp, but he gets it done when it counts.

I was obviously exaggerating. But the fact is, he missed over 25 frickin games last year. Thats a hell of alot, when just a few points can seperate playoff seedings. And thats a GOOD year for Floppa health-wise. Thats pretty sad. And talking about stats means nothing to me. I already know he's bad ass when he's on the ice. But he is NEVER consistantly on the ice. Something always happens. And that trend will continue. He's now a year older. My guess is, he plays just a handfull of games with whoever signs him.

Edited by DetroitIan

The good thing about signing a guy like Forsberg, though, is that even if he DOES get hurt, which there's a better-than-decent chance of, we wouldn't have to give up anything to get him. We have the cap space to sign him and still acquire someone else at the deadline if we want.

It's not like traded for Gumptuzzi, when we had to give up something (even if that something didn't end up being all that much). It's a low-risk, high-reward situation. And if he ends up on IR we can go over the cap for that amount anyway.

It's just like when we made the play for Hasek. There was no other goalie on the market (since we decided to not go after Luongo) that had the potential to take us to the Cup. Yes he was an injury risk. But if we signed him and he got hurt, so what? We weren't going anywhere without him anyway.

So would Forsberg be a smart pickup? Absolutely. Anything that we could get out of him in the playoffs would be helpful. How would I feel about us getting Forsberg? That I'm not sure of yet...it's one of those things where I'd have to see what my gut reaction was to the news (or to seeing him in a red and white jersey for the first time).

I imagine that if I could get used to Bertuzzi and Chelios in Red Wings jerseys, then I could get used to Floppa as well. Just don't get Kariya, Kunitz, or Fronger and I'm fine.

I was obviously exaggerating. But the fact is, he missed over 25 frickin games last year. Thats a hell of alot, when just a few points can seperate playoff seedings. And thats a GOOD year for Floppa health-wise. Thats pretty sad. And talking about stats means nothing to me. I already know he's bad ass when he's on the ice. But he is NEVER consistantly on the ice. Something always happens. And that trend will continue. He's now a year older. My guess is, he plays just a handfull of games with whoever signs him.

Dude, guess what... Zetterberg missed 20 games last year too. Should we let him walk when his contract expires because he MIGHT continue to have back problems? The fact of the matter is that over the course of his career, Forsberg has played in 697 out of a possible 950 games. That's close to 75%. True, it's not Lidstrom-esque, but I wouldn't call it horribly inconsistent. Besides, no one's saying we should sign him to a 15 year deal, probably just this year and maybe an option or something for next year.

P.F would be a good fit with thw Wings and I think everyone knows that. The guy can make plays and pass the puck.... The Wings are lacking a "true assist" player as I like to call it.

A lot os going to depend on how well his ankle(s) are and how he looks in Sweden.

Considering I thought the Wings last year could of picked up Yannic Pereault (or however you spell it) to give us another higher % face off guy + a decent assist man for cheap.

Who else is out there right now UFA that can bring his kind of dynamics?