• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Canadian Wings

Wings join Forsberg hunt

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I was all for this a while ago, but we're doing so well. Our depth is clicking and the NHL has recognized the Wings as one of the deepest teams in the league. Now that things are clicking, do we really want to mess with the chemistry? We haven't had a team with this much chemistry in a long time. Throwing in a new player, especially a diva, could seriously mess things up. The only way this would work is if they split up Hank and Dats, which we really dont' want to happen.

So if somebody said we could add Joe Thornton tomorrow you wouldn't do it because of chemistry and because we have depth?

Seriously, if the guy is healthy he can still do great things. He really didn't click that well in Nashville but still put up respectable points per game despite his foot injury.

IMO, you want to talk about depth, what kind of depth would you have if you added Forsberg to any lineup. I would think your depth would improve by leaps and bounds.

As for things clicking, we're still getting the majority of our points from Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Dats got his assist last night while playing on Filpulla's line and Babs shifted him off the Z line a number of times last night.

Instead of having a single power line of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, you could potentially add

Zetterberg, Forsberg, Holmstrom

Datsyuk, Forsberg, Zetterberg

etc....

the possibilities are endless, not to mention what he would do for a 2nd powerplay unit as the setup man.

If he's looking for 1 year only and he's healthy, I say pull the trigger provided you have enough cash left over to acquire a depth dman at the deadline.

PS: Why is forsberg a primadonna? I've never understood this. The guy has had injury problems and has played through them before. Was he a primadonna in Colorado when he was averaging more PPG than anyone in the league and leading them to championships?

I have no reason to dislike the guy other than he killed us at times when he was with Colorado. Colorado isn't really our biggest rival anymore, Forsberg isn't an Ave, he can still play and with great linemates play very well. There's no way he would make this team worse. Calling him a primadonna or hating on the guy has nothing to do with him being able to help us and everything to do with people who hold grudges like little kids and don't have the best interests of the team come before their personal preferences.

low term, reasonable price, sign him!!! If not those conditions, then pass.

I think Forsberg is a bad idea. He'll want a long-ish contract and he'll want a decent sum of money. Which wont be very much fun when we have to try and sign Zetterberg, Franzen, Kopecky and Ellis next season. Not to mention Filppula, Cleary, Drake, Downey, Lidstrom, Chelios, Lija, Quincey, Osgood and Howard this season.

I think we should get somebody cheaper...and younger...and with stronger ankels

Who do you suggest?

I think Forsberg is a bad idea. He'll want a long-ish contract and he'll want a decent sum of money. Which wont be very much fun when we have to try and sign Zetterberg, Franzen, Kopecky and Ellis next season. Not to mention Filppula, Cleary, Drake, Downey, Lidstrom, Chelios, Lija, Quincey, Osgood and Howard this season.

I think we should get somebody cheaper...and younger...and with stronger ankels

while I see your point shup, remember that the article is quoted as saying Kenny is looking if the money and trerms are right. I think we can invest some faith that kenny isnt going to throw away our future or break the bank for Forsberg. That is one of the main reasons I think going after him would be great. Hell if we lose out to some team offering their picks and breaking their bank, then let them have him we will find someone else.

But the thought of flip and huds on a line with forsberg is nuts. The things they could learn, minus the diving of course :lol:

Yet another forskin thread, get over it we are not signing him, we have all the swedes we need for now.

He will put up points wherever he goes but will not touch the cup with his problems, blah blah blah

Save our money and build the youth into the system is the way to go!!!!!!

My 2 cents

Wow

Just because I don't agree with everyone on this site doesn't mean I'm talking down to them. Sorry I don't happen to agree with a lot of your views, but it sure as hell doesn't mean I'm talking down to you nor others. The majority of this board knows that.

Sidenote: I'm still awaiting a resposne from anyone as to concrete reasoning on why Forsberg shouldn't be on the Wings given that he can prove he's healthy. Stick around, you may "get" your wish.

You're definitely taking his health for granted. When has he ever proven that he can be healthy? To me, his health problems seem like a pretty good reason for why not to want him. The guy's made of glass. Unless he's willing to take some huge paycut, I wouldn't want the Wings to gamble on him.

I was obviously exaggerating. But the fact is, he missed over 25 frickin games last year. Thats a hell of alot, when just a few points can seperate playoff seedings. And thats a GOOD year for Floppa health-wise. Thats pretty sad. And talking about stats means nothing to me. I already know he's bad ass when he's on the ice. But he is NEVER consistantly on the ice. Something always happens. And that trend will continue. He's now a year older. My guess is, he plays just a handfull of games with whoever signs him.

And we all know what garauntees come with playoff seedings! (sorry, souldn't resist)

Personally I like the psyche of being a lower seed Red Wing team. Opponents can get a little nervous being seeded above the Wings instead of feeling like the underdog.

But if teams are already so worried about the ZDH, then the addition of Forsberg can really overwhelm them.

I can understand the interest in this guy - on the other hand, most people already know each other's opinions about this guy, at least on this board. I'm going to watch the upcoming Karjala cup ONLY to see if the guy is worth it. If it is - then as long as the contract is for 1 year only - I wouldn't mind throwing as much money as is necessary at him for him to come play for Detroit.

You're definitely taking his health for granted. When has he ever proven that he can be healthy? To me, his health problems seem like a pretty good reason for why not to want him. The guy's made of glass. Unless he's willing to take some huge paycut, I wouldn't want the Wings to gamble on him.

Saying "given he can prove he's healthy" is not taking his health for granted. I'm flat out saying its the concern. If he can eliminate that concern and the terms are right, there's no reason not to sign him.

Given the right terms, it wouldn't be that huge of a gamble.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Let me use an analogy that makes sense to me as a Boston Celtics fan:

The C's traded for Ray Allen, he is the best pure shooter in the game, has the best shooting percentage in the league. However he is coming off of double ankle surgery (This is why I choose this analogy).

For the C's however they have absolutely sucked the past 5-8 years. So taking a risk on this guy yields high rewards, especially when you add KG to the equation.

Now back to Forsberg, his overall health is an unknown, so there is great risk there. I am not saying he is a soft a J.D. Drew (sorry for all of the NE references) but he has had a history of injuries. So it is a risk/reward situation, does the risk out weigh the reward or vice versa. Only Holland and company have the knowledge and the ability to make that decision. And either way people on here will bash them, if the wings sign him and lose in the SCF people will blame the Forsberg signing and say "had they gone after Feds we (not my we, others use we) would have won the cup" Or if they don't sign him and don't win the cup it will be "We would have won the cup if stupid ass Holland would have gotten Forsberg" Even if the Wings win the cup with the current roster people on here will ***** and moan. That I will guarantee 100% and bet money on!!!!

I am reminded of something Theo Epstein said yesterday in the news coverage of the World Series rally,

"We won't win it (Championship) every year, but we intend to be battling for it every year!"

Holland and crew are a lot smarter than all of us when it comes to Hockey, and they will weigh every single point we all brought up, they understand all of the risk and reward, because they have that same mentallity.

For me personally I think he is too much of an unknown, he could come here and tear it up for 5 months and then get hurt and miss the entire post season, he could also tear it up for the next 2-3 seasons in Detroit. But I think it is better to pass on him and hope they can get a guy at the deadline who is more of a constant. I can't say who as of now because I have no idea what teams will be looking to dump some dead weight. Maybe ATL is looking to get rid of Hossa's contract, who knows but IMO Forsberg is too big of a risk for me.

But the whole Col thing I am over, Drury for example I would love him as a wing, not happening but would be f-in sweet!!

Why not sign him?

Does adding a player like Forsberg help our team? Yes

Will he stay healthy? Maybe

Will he fill the void the Lang left? Yes

Is he worth the risk? Hell YES

All I am saying is put Hank, Lids, Holmstrom, Forsberg, and Raflaski on the powerplay and prepare to be amazed...

I think it all boils down to who has the best shot to win a cup and I dont think Colorado does at this point. So I see that it is going to be between us and Ottawa to see who gets Peter the Great.

Couldnt hurt to pick him up.

Yes it could be he would because he would take minutes from one of our young guys. Young guys are the future, Forsberg is the past. Move on already.

Why not sign him?

Does adding a player like Forsberg help our team? Yes

Will he stay healthy? Maybe

Will he fill the void the Lang left? Yes

Is he worth the risk? Hell YES

All I am saying is put Hank, Lids, Holmstrom, Forsberg, and Raflaski on the powerplay and prepare to be amazed...

I think it all boils down to who has the best shot to win a cup and I dont think Colorado does at this point. So I see that it is going to be between us and Ottawa to see who gets Peter the Great.

How bout this, put Hank, Homer, Dats, Lids and Rafalski on the Power Play and be prepared to be amazed. Oh...wait, we already go that.

Lang left a void? I think not. There is a reason that the Wings didn't even make Lang an offer.

The Foresburg of 2002 could help, but he retired a long time ago. What is left is a guy that has had surgery on both ankles and can't find a skate that he can wear. Why would you want that guy?

Yes it could be he would because he would take minutes from one of our young guys. Young guys are the future, Forsberg is the past. Move on already.

So putting one of the most dynamic players in the game in the spot of plugs like hudler, filpula ( anyone thats not dats or zetts) hurts the team ? The young guys can battle for the ice time with each other, thus making them play harder for minutes that won't be handed over to them easily, thus making them build skills faster and not be so useless.

Even if we pay him 1-2 mill for 10 reg season games + playoffs it would be worth it. It's not like we have to trade away anything to get him, just some money that we would waste on a less talented higher paid player at the deadline.

We want to win a Cup right?

We dont want to get rid of our prospects right?

SO sign somebody who will make a diffrence.. aka Forsberg.

Forsberg dosnt want a long term contract.. neither do we..

its a win win...we win the cup.. he gets paid..

its great.

Saying "given he can prove he's healthy" is not taking his health for granted. I'm flat out saying its the concern. If he can eliminate that concern and the terms are right, there's no reason not to sign him.

Given the right terms, it wouldn't be that huge of a gamble.

Exactly how can you eliminate that concern? People want to IGNORE that concern because there is no way to eliminate it. Since he had his second ankle surgery just this past summer, how do we know that the ankle will hold up? You don't. "If we can eliminate that concern" ?! You might as well say, if he was 10 years younger.

So putting one of the most dynamic players in the game in the spot of plugs like hudler, filpula ( anyone thats not dats or zetts) hurts the team ? The young guys can battle for the ice time with each other, thus making them play harder for minutes that won't be handed over to them easily, thus making them build skills faster and not be so useless.

Even if we pay him 1-2 mill for 10 reg season games + playoffs it would be worth it. It's not like we have to trade away anything to get him, just some money that we would waste on a less talented higher paid player at the deadline.

He would really open up the ice and make a lot of room for someone like Huddler to take advantage of and score. Forsberg Philly Experience was all about the assists not so many goals himself. He will draw a crowd, someone like Huds gets open and scores. He's tough, smart, talented, experienced and relentless, and I trust that Holland will know if the New Price is Right.

Guest jaytan

What are they thinking? Don't even go NEAR this guy! If anything, I hope this'll just get Colorado or some other opposing team to have to pay more for the bum.

Exactly how can you eliminate that concern? People want to IGNORE that concern because there is no way to eliminate it. Since he had his second ankle surgery just this past summer, how do we know that the ankle will hold up? You don't. "If we can eliminate that concern" ?! You might as well say, if he was 10 years younger.

Maybe eliminate was the wrong word..........more like monitor. Holland and Co. aren't going to sign Forsberg without a physical, some evaluation of his *current* mobility on skates, and without the proper terms in place.

That's what I meant.

If Forsberg is healthy enough to play hockey, he is worth picking up as a playoff rental.

If he is not healthy enough to play hockey, he won't be signing a contract.

My point exactly.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Adding Forsberg would be a great move if he's healthy. It could allow for the ZDH line to remain intact. I think Flip and Hudler have some good chemistry. I thought they did last year too. I'd keep them together.

Z/D/H

Mule/Floppa/Son of Sam

Malts/Drapes/Cleary

Hudler/Flip/Kopecky

Downey, Drake, Ellis as depth

That being said I'll be shocked if Petey is not back in Colorado and we can all hate his guts again. The Avs need defense and goaltending but they are stupid enough to add to their strength and not address their weaknesses. Too bad defense and goaltending wins in the playoffs. Good for the Wings. Bad for the Avs.

There will be other players available as the season goes on for the Wings to try and get. Not getting Floppa aint the end of the world.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Guest Hatethedrake!

Anyone else think if Forsberg were to join the Red Wings that the puck possession game just might be easier on his body (less likely to get injured) - as in when compared to a dump/chase with aggressive forecheck?

Mathieu Schneider wasn't exactly an iron man prior to his arrival in Detroit (was injury prone)...A few seasons here, & his games played improved quite a bit - not to mention his point production, & +/-.

Me thinks Foppa would do well in Detroit.

He'd have plenty of room to dive in the Wings puck possession game. Seriously though...yeah he'd do very well in Detroit. Especially on the PP. We could replace Son of Sam with Petey on the point. That would make me happy. Babcock would have so many options.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Even if Forsberg does miss a good chunk of the regular season games, he's a proven beast in the playoffs.

The wings will make the playoffs without Forsberg. As long as he plays in the playoffs, how would anyone NOT want him?

I for one think we should definitely sign him. I think he's too good of a player (when not hurt) that the chemistry with the team would be a factor only for a little bit. Plus, it's not like he's a headcase. So I wouldn't really worry about him be a distraction. As long as they can agree on a fair contract, why not...?