• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingNut78

New Hockeytown ?!?!?

Rate this topic

Most of it is due to the state of the economy; Detroit is absolutely awful. People here just can't afford it anymore. Detroit also has one of the most competetive sports markets in the world; none of the four major teams are really bad (the Lions are still under scrutiny) and basketball is probably bigger anyway; Hopefully Zetterberg and our team's play will attract some more fans. Until then, we've got to wate for the storm to pass :(

I love the Red Wings more than any team in all of sports, but can you really blame them given the attendance numbers at the Joe this year?

Between the prices Ilitch has and the rough time for the economy, I sure would.

It's not like I expect a regular fan to read beyond the articles that say "LOLOMFG Detroit isn't selling out!" and comprehend why this attendance drop-off is so, but I'd say the numbers are justified.

Let some other town feel the penny pinch and see how they'd react. They'd skip out on the luxury expenses too.

Edited by Flip-check

I agree. At first i thought it was just another detroit bashing article but the author says the truth its the economy, and the schedule as soon as those two turn around hockey will be fine hear. The tv ratings to my knowledge are still pretty high. But it just goes to show you and you can ring the old bit siren but betteman is killing hockey in detroit. CHELI FOR COMMISH

The media can say and think what they want. It doesn't really matter because in the end the Wings are still Hockeytown. As it is and has been their marketing slogan for the past decade. No one is going to change that. Honestly the whole not deserving it anymore is BS. I still think when it comes down to it, no teams' fans *In the US* are more passionate and die hard than Wings fans. Yeah they aren't selling out, but everyone knows that's mainly due to the economy/high ticket prices. It's nothing to do with lack of interest, or not caring about the Wings anymore. This whole thing just really isn't as big of a deal as the media makes it out to be.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Perhaps someone can enlighten me here...

I realize attendance is a big factor is assessing a teams 'popularity' or in this case 'hockeytown-worthiness', but since when was that the only factor? In that case, the Dodgers are a close second to the Yankees for being 'baseballtown' since their attendance is second only to New York (sorry beantown).

Well, I guess if they aren't hockeytown anymore, it should be easier to get tickets for travel games...oh wait... <_<

The media can say and think what they want. It doesn't really matter because in the end the Wings are still Hockeytown. As it is and has been their marketing slogan for the past decade. No one is going to change that. Honestly the whole not deserving it anymore is BS. I still think when it comes down to it, no teams' fans *In the US* are more passionate and die hard than Wings fans. Yeah they aren't selling out, but everyone knows that's mainly due to the economy/high ticket prices. It's nothing to do with lack of interest, or not caring about the Wings anymore. This whole thing just really isn't as big of a deal as the media makes it out to be.

Right, it wasn't a title the NHL gave Detroit, it was a Marketing Slogan thought up after our 1995 trip to the Stanley Cup Finals and a nickname. People outside Detroit didn't realize that, and for some reason took offence to it.

However, looking at the other American Hockey markets in recent years, Hockey was actually the top sport in Detroit. In all other American markets, even if the Hockey team sells out, Hockey is still 3rd or 4th in popularity. The Wings from 1995-2006 (before the Tigers turned it around), were the top sport in the city.

In Minnesota the Vikings and Twins are more popular than the Wild. In Buffalo, the Bills are more popular than the Sabres. The Wings were top dog, hense the name Hockeytown.

:clap: I could not agree with you more. I cant believe some people who claim we dont deserve to keep the title. even people on here.....there are so many reasons why we dont have sellouts. grrr people make me so mad :(

I want that chopper that's in Hockeytown Cafe. Aww man, that thing is sweet!

BTW, that's pretty good article. I disagree with him about Columbus though.

Did you ever see Legacy's Harley when he would keep at the dealership during the season? His Wings logo and a mural of his facemask on the rear fender. Sweet. The guys at the dealership said he would go on all the group rides during his off season. :thumbup:

except for detroit is hockeytown...i mean we have the cafe

hee hee.

I don't see why we can't be hockeytown...we never clearly defined what a hockeytown is..so we've not violated the terms and agreements to being it..haha.

You can't just take away a nickname..that's dumb. That would be like ... well Los Angeles is The Big Apple now...it just is a bigger apple haha.

silliness...oh and who cares! Are people really analyzing this?

Well also you have to look at how many Detroit fans show up at away games. There is usually about a third of Wing fans at the away game (my guess and no actual stats for this). There is just a large Detroit fan base at most games. This should also be taken into the conderation.

hee hee.

I don't see why we can't be hockeytown...we never clearly defined what a hockeytown is..so we've not violated the terms and agreements to being it..haha.

You can't just take away a nickname..that's dumb. That would be like ... well Los Angeles is The Big Apple now...it just is a bigger apple haha.

silliness...oh and who cares! Are people really analyzing this?

hahaha I love that. and I do think that Los Angeles is the new Big Apple!!! for sure ;)