• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PROBIE4PREZ

Still hope in Fischer!

Rate this topic

It wouldn't surprise me to see him play again. However, since he's not working out how he used to yet...

either way I'm more curious which player he's working with on the team right now.

Guest RedWingsFever

I could see it happening. Modern heart medicines are getting even more succesful than just 5 years ago. If he doesn't have any symptoms anymore. And he gets medically cleared. I would LOVE to see Big Fisch in the Winged Wheel again. God damn I miss that guy. What a great presence he has. I wanna see Jiri just crush someone again.

That being said, I agree that it's best for both parties if he doesn't play for the Red Wings again--it's simply not worth the risk. But if he plays hockey again is between Jiri, his family, and his doctors.

It's also between the NHL, any team that would sign him, and whoever provides insurance for the league.

Simply put, if they dont know his condition very well, couldnt this happen just as easily off the ice as on? There is plenty of stuff out there to raise a heart rate. I bet him and his wife can think of something they still do that raises a heart rate... kids anyone? Why not play while/if you can play, and then take the rest of your life with the memories family etc...........

Oh and also, wouldnt playing and training and having medical staff around all the time be safer than at home with no such staff?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Well of course. I wouldn't have made the comments I've made in this thread if his doctors could do what you just said in the bolded statement. But until a doctor can, I feel its too risky.

Sidenote: Pronger's heart stopping because he was hit with the puck is totally different than someone that has a heart abnormality. People are comparing apples to oranges when you correlate two things like that.

Ummmm..Mac, the point wasn't to compare the two types of episodes those players suffered. I was making a point that sometimes things happen that cannot be controlled and that no guarantees for can be given. Your position was that you wanted 100& guarantees for Fischer. My point was that there are no such guarantees. There's no apples to oranges about the point I was making.

When I first saw this thread title, I kind of rolled my eyes and thought "here we go again." But then I read the article. I wonderhow many people who posted "give it up already" type messages to the thread starter actually read what the article said.

What I took away from the article was that Fischer's condition has apparently improved and his doctors agree because he no longer has to wear the external defibrillator vest that he'd worn ever since his collapse. That's excellent news. Fischer believes he has figured out the cause of his problems and has it under control, so I think it's only natural that his thoughts would turn to resuming his career. Whether his doctors agree with him about the cause may be another matter. But that is between him and his doctors.

Also, I found it interesting to read that Fischer and Holland had discussed the possibility of Jiri returning to the ice at the beginning of this season. Now, it's not possible to know what the tone of those conversations really was (how receptive Holland was to the idea) from one or two sentences in a newspaper article. But there were talks. So it looks like Fischer's return at some point may actually be a possibility. And there's no need to mock anyone who thinks there is a small chance that we may see Fischer on the ice again in a year or two.

There are a lot of ifs here -

IF Fisch indeed has figured out the problem and has it under control...

IF his doctors give him clearance to attempt a comeback...

IF he is given further clearance to begin training like a professional hockey player...

IF he can get his conditioning up to game-shape after being off for essentially two years...

IF the Wings would be willing to give him a chance at a comeback...

IF he has the support and blessings from his family...

THEN I say go for it.

However, I think I'd be cringing and holding my breath every time he was out on the ice and giving/taking hits, and I don't think I am the only Wings fan - or hockey fan in general - who would be doing that. The memory of that night is just too vivid, still, as it was truly one of the most frightening things I've ever seen, second only to watching my cousin's husband choke to death.

From MLIVE this morning:

Fischer clarifies his role with Wings

Posted by George James Malik November 14, 2007 23:01PM

Former Detroit Red Wings defenceman Jiri Fischer clarified his role as a "director of player development" with the team:

November 14, Windsor Star: Though his contract expired after last season, the Detroit Red Wings haven't abandoned Jiri Fischer. He remains a regular figure around the Joe Louis Arena and is often seen around the Detroit dressing room as he was following last week's game against Nashville.

Despite the near-tragic end to his playing career, Fischer remains extremely upbeat and has taken on a new job this season as a scout for the Wings.

"I'm going around and looking at our young prospects," said Fischer, who is still searching for some definitive answers to his ailment. "We'll see how that goes. I think I'll enjoy that and it keeps me involved in the game."

Fischer still refuses to give up on playing again, but it no longer eats at him as it once did.

Fischer told the Windsor Star's Dave Waddell that he's still grateful for every extra day he's lived since an episode of tachycardia stopped his heart on the Red Wings' bench.

He doesn't remember much about the incident, which was followed by two more heart attacks at home shortly thereafter, but he does know one thing and it's a guiding principle of what he calls his second life.

"I'm lucky just to be here to do anything," Fischer said. "Others who have been in the exact same circumstances haven't been as fortunate. There's a reason I was blessed with a second chance at life and I'm going to live my life to the fullest."

He was told by the U of M cardiology staff that he WILL NEVER PLAY AGAIN AND THAT THEY WOULD NEVER GIVE HIM CLEARANCE TO PLAY! (and yes I got this from a 1st hand source that was in the room at the time) So for the love of god -PUT IT TO BED - HE WILL NEVER PLAY FOR THE WINGS AGAIN!!! Sick and tired of hearing from the delusional Fischer hopefuls out there. They cannot ablate the etopic foci in his heart due to where it's location is and have any certainty that the arrhythmia will not return - that means if he plays he could die. It also means if he is just walking down the street this could happen - so they will never clear him to play and no team would even dream of touching him or being able to get insurance to cover him. It's more likely to get Vinny or Feds hell even Crosby first.

Wow, such vitriol. Your post reeks of gloating over a Red Wing never being able to play again.

What is so wrong with fans hoping a great player will get better and play again?

Whether Fischer is ever able to play again or not, I enjoy reading updates on him, just as I enjoy reading about Constantinov still. They were great players that meant a lot to me and still do.

id love him to come back, but i think he needs to think about his health. he had a heart attack. my mom had one 10 years ago and it could give out any day now. people only usually have a good 10-15 years (in the case of my mom) but then like some one said heart medicine has gotten a hell of a lot better since 5 years ago. I think he should focus on the young talent and his family now.

Wow, such vitriol. Your post reeks of gloating over a Red Wing never being able to play again.

What is so wrong with fans hoping a great player will get better and play again?

Whether Fischer is ever able to play again or not, I enjoy reading updates on him, just as I enjoy reading about Constantinov still. They were great players that meant a lot to me and still do.

Becuase there's fantasy and reality - know the difference. Try a "k" instead of a "C". And I do hope Vladdy keeps improving as well but people with DAI really don't do well - might as well hope he returns too - I can hope as well right! "gloating" not likely - he had 1 good year then got injured - never a fan of his - more unrealised potential - try using "Your post reeks of being irritated over people who think he can still suit up next year."

Fischer was everything this team needs right now -- a big body, hit hard, skated fast, booming shot, sound defensively and was not afraid to drop the gloves.

Yeah, that just is awful there are Red Wings fans that hope he could get a handle on the problem and come back at some point. Everyone should listen to someone who "knows someone who was in the room at the time" over what Fischer himself has been quoted as saying.

I am sure there was a point in time "in the room" where Yzerman was told he would never be able to play again or Grigorenko was told he would never skate again.

Get over yourself.

Fischer was everything this team needs right now -- a big body, hit hard, skated fast, booming shot, sound defensively and was not afraid to drop the gloves.

Yeah, that just is awful there are Red Wings fans that hope he could get a handle on the problem and come back at some point. Everyone should listen to someone who "knows someone who was in the room at the time" over what Fischer himself has been quoted as saying.

I am sure there was a point in time "in the room" where Yzerman was told he would never be able to play again or Grigorenko was told he would never skate again.

Get over yourself.

Vladdy was everything we needed before he got in his accident, Jiri came in for him, now its some one elses turn to take the reigns of the big man. he will be found. it will take time.

i would take Jiri's word over a "in the room person too" things get to mistrune that way. Its like saying i caught a 2 ft fish and it gets twisted into a 20 ft fish.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Becuase there's fantasy and reality - know the difference. Try a "k" instead of a "C". And I do hope Vladdy keeps improving as well but people with DAI really don't do well - might as well hope he returns too - I can hope as well right! "gloating" not likely - he had 1 good year then got injured - never a fan of his - more unrealised potential - try using "Your post reeks of being irritated over people who think he can still suit up next year."

Regardless of what his circumstances are at this minute, the bottom line is that there's nothing wrong with people hoping he'll make a return. Whether its because they want to see him in a Wings sweater again, or if they just feel for the guy and want him to be able to resume doing what he loved most, there is no harm in people hoping for him.

So what if its a long-shot. Winning the lottery is to but people still hope they do. Just because there's a thread once a year about where he's at or what he's doing doesn't mean people are delusional about him returning.

WTF do you care if the next guy hopes Fisch returns for whatever reason. What, the thread space bogging down the forum or something?