• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings&Beer

Where is Darren McCarty?

Rate this topic

I remember seeing articles on McCarty about how he "disappeared", since nobody heard from him for so long. Those we're mostly just rumored, though.

The last report on him was about 3 weeks ago. He is apparently training alone in Calgary, waiting for contract offers from any team that would want him.

Training in Calgary. Whenever I go to the gym, I think to myself "It'd be cool if Mac was here" But he never is. I really feel bad for McCarty, he shouldnt have to go through it. I know it'd never happen, but if he somehow pulled a Kocur back in 97, I'd love it. Hopefully he signs somewhere this year.

you people are ridiculous . the man had one of the most memorable goals in cup clinching historty! he may have his problems , we all do , but some of the garbage that is written about the man is just wrong . i for one hope he is training right now hoping to get picked up by a team . wouldnt mine seeing him back in red for the playoff run . he would come cheap , and i think he never should have left the winged wheel . not that he had a choice as the team didnt feel need to resign him . imagine the grind line togther again ?

Edited by LEBDA22

you people are ridiculous . the man had one of the most memorable goals in cup clinching historty! he may have his problems , we all do , but some of the garbage that is written about the man is just wrong . i for one hope he is training right now hoping to get picked up by a team . wouldnt mine seeing him back in red for the playoff run . he would come cheap , and i think he never should have left the winged wheel . not that he had a choice as the team didnt feel need to resign him . imagine the grind line togther again ?

He scored a goal in 1997.

He was washed up when he was signed to the contrac the got in Detroit. And the reason stuff gets written about him is because he deserved it. No sympathy for a guy who lost millions because he was too drunk to notice.

If the guy dedicated half as much time to hockey as he did to his crappy music career, hed still be playing.

And the team didnt choose to re-sign him. They bought him out because they realized they made a mistake on his contract.

And if the grind line was back together it would be one of the slowest lines in the NHL.

this isnt 1998.

He was washed up when he was signed to the contrac the got in Detroit. And the reason stuff gets written about him is because he deserved it. No sympathy for a guy who lost millions because he was too drunk to notice.

If the guy dedicated half as much time to hockey as he did to his crappy music career, hed still be playing.

And the team didnt choose to re-sign him. They bought him out because they realized they made a mistake on his contract.

And if the grind line was back together it would be one of the slowest lines in the NHL.

this isnt 1998.

It's been 10 years but the goal will be remembered until the end of time.

When you're in the limelight, everything get's thrown at you, drugs, drinking, women, gambling, etc.. Some guys can handle the temptations, others can't. Humans screw up all the time. A guy like McCarty had to screw up in front of the world. We're lucky, when we screw up, it's only in front of a small amount of people.

If it wasn't for the Salary Cap, DMac still would have been a Red Wing, and would have been able to retire in Detroit.

I honestly feel for the guy, because he gave us so much as a player. Plus he was very active in the community. I wish him all the best.

my honest opinion is hes training somewhere...but thats my inner dmac fan, i really would love to see dmac back in the winged wheel, he is a hockeytown hero and you cant put him down for drugs or alcohol...he had problems, so did probert, and i still think we shouldnt have sent him away we shoulda helped him

D Mac hasn't played in almost a year since suffering a sports hernia. His surgery was supposedly successful, but who knows without seeing proof? Teams apparently aren't willing to sign a guy without evidence that he can play. :(

this isnt 1998.

Really? Really,.....sometimes it's obvious some of you guys have no clue about what you're writing about.

That goal he scored, won us our first stanley cup in 52 years

That fight he had in march of that year,...that helped too.

so did the game winning goal from that same game.

He had problems,...sure

He spent his money foolishly and probably deserves to be where he's at.

Like it or not, if you became a redwings fan after 97, you did so in no small part due to Darren McCarty.

Without him fighting Claudia there is no cup. It showed everyone we would not be initmidated

Without that goal the avs would have won that game, and the battle of the joe, would have lost all significance.

Without THAT GOAL we'd still be looking for a championship (you could argue we'd have got 02' but no way we win 98 without winning 97 first).

You don't like the guy,..cool

But his place in Red Wings lore, is right up there with all the greats who wore the winged wheel.

Where is McCarty? I'm sure his creditors are asking the same question.

That goal he scored, won us our first stanley cup in 52 years

We did have a 3-0 games lead... with or without that goal the cup was ours. That being said, Mac did what we needed him to do while he was here, and he had some great fights. I was sad to see him in a Calgary jersey, and it's unfortunate that he's become such a lowsy player.

I hate to say it but I think his career is over.

The last couple of years he's been injured more than he's played and it's clear that there isn't a team willing to sign him at this point in time. He just simply doesn't have the skills anymore. I mean, he always had marginal playing skills but what got him - and kept him - in the league was his physical play, and that's not there any longer

He did some special things for the Wings, there is no denying that, but it's time to face the reality that Darren is probably not going to play in the NHL again, for Detroit or any other team. It's a sad way for his career to end

BTW - on a related note, isn't there some cut off date for signing of unrestricted free agents? Like, if they're not signed by a certain date they cannot play in the NHL during the current season? I seem to remember something about that when we signed Jason Woolley a few years back.

I never thought I'd be in this position, to have "inside information", but McCarty has been spotted in Detroit.

Don't forget his foundation is still in Royal Oak. I'm not sure if his family is still here. Where ever his kids are he's going to be close.

Don't forget his foundation is still in Royal Oak. I'm not sure if his family is still here. Where ever his kids are he's going to be close.

Be more specific(where ever his kids are), that means he could be anywhere.

Be more specific(where ever his kids are), that means he could be anywhere.

oops, it posted twice.

Edited by KDDRWINGS1