• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mmorland

Simple Osgood Question

Rate this topic

I would say "why break what isn't broken?". I haven't seen but the opener (on VS), but if he has the stats he does. Playing the way I have been hearing. Keep him in net and let him go until he loses what he has going for him. Give Dom a rest until then and he will be ready for "the 2nd season". I can't wait to see the game against the Blues in 2 weeks.

Osgood is streaky. He'll go stretches where he's unbeatable but he has just as many stretches where he turns into Chris "Score Me Four" Osgood.

I think this could be said for all goalies. The truly great goalies just have shorter stretches of the " Score Me Four" times.

I think the whole "drama" thing is one of the reasons Osgood's overlooked by most. As I said earlier, he's not flashy, he's not dramatic, he doesn't run his mouth, he doesn't look like he's got tourettes syndrome nor does he flip out when things go wrong. He's just a consisten guy who game after game gets the job done. If he hits a rough stretch, he doesn't let it get him down and he gets over it. He's just so strong mentally as far as the craft of goaltending as well as the whole pyschological aspect of handling the pressure.

It's kinda sad that these days people need all the drama and flare to recognize someone. Just like Pavel this year. It's not like he's been playing bad but because he hasn't started scoring goals yet everyone's dogging him. It's just silly. I blame MTV... :)

IMO...with Ozzy it has always been his ablilty to respond after bad performances and forget bad losses/games. He plays great when they are winning....but I always have questions about his ability to battle through adversity. I think a slight indication of this was his performance and time spent with St. Louis when they were one of the worst teams in the league.

Let's see how he plays when we are not on a nine game winning streak.

8-0-0. Those are impressive numbers. :)

I really don't see why the rhythem should be broken. Ozzie has played great, and Hasek hasn't... injury or not, Hasek blew in what little he's played this season (the Anaheim game especially). Wait until Ozzie loses a game before putting Hasek back in.

Edited by Kp-Wings

#30 will not hang in the rafters, I'm sorry. No one likes Oz more than I do, but they guy has benefited quite a bit fromt he teams he has been on. He was never the weak point, but he was also never the game changer. Sure you can point to a few saves that changed games, but when can you say Osgood stole a series like say Kiprusoff did against the wings a few years back.

With that said, I said before the season that I would have liked to have seen an Osgood/Howard combo rather than Dom. Yeah he is all world when he is on, but he isnt always on

I really see no difference between this and the days when Legs was here, when Babs said that Oz and Legs would compete for the starting position and gave Legs the starter job because Oz was hurt and Legs came out playing great. Well to me this is the same damn thing

8-0-0. Those are impressive numbers. :)

I really don't see why the rhythem should be broken. Ozzie has played great, and Hasek hasn't... injury or not, Hasek blew in what little he's played this season (the Anaheim game especially). Wait until Ozzie loses a game before putting Hasek back in.

Hasek's "lost" two games this season, apparently single-handedly. Who knew? l understand, you don't like Hasek and you love Ozzie. Got it. When Oz has had to face 26 minutes of penalties in one game, and the kind of choppy mess we saw in Anaheim, we will have an actual comparison.

I don't disagree about playing Ozzie tomorrow, though, and I understand the appeal. I wouldn't have a problem with Ozzie going again tomorrow, but I guess Babs does. Or maybe it just doesn't make sense to the coaches or management to have Hasek just sit around until the team loses with Ozzie in net? That is going to happen sooner or later, ya know.

Anyway, it seems a bit biased to me to bash Hasek over "losing" two entire games when I don't recall that he was out there alone... any more than he or Ozzie "won" they games with W's alone.

Hasek's "lost" two games this season, apparently single-handedly. Who knew? l understand, you don't like Hasek and you love Ozzie. Got it. When Oz has had to face 26 minutes of penalties in one game, and the kind of choppy mess we saw in Anaheim, we will have an actual comparison.

I don't disagree about playing Ozzie tomorrow, though, and I understand the appeal. I wouldn't have a problem with Ozzie going again tomorrow, but I guess Babs does. Or maybe it just doesn't make sense to the coaches or management to have Hasek just sit around until the team loses with Ozzie in net? That is going to happen sooner or later, ya know.

Anyway, it seems a bit biased to me to bash Hasek over "losing" two entire games when I don't recall that he was out there alone... any more than he or Ozzie "won" they games with W's alone.

Agree with just about everything here. Hasek definitely hasn't been great but he hasn't been awful either. Osgood playing great is naturally going to skew that for a lot of people.

I would've played Hasek tomorrow or the next game. I think it's really silly to wait until Osgood loses as when that time comes, I feel like it would create somewhat of a strange reaction from everyone. I think it's best to just get things swinging and back to "normal" at this moment.

If Hasek's going to get out there and prove he's the starter though, he better get out and do it and quickly at that. At this point with a hot goalie like Osgood who doesn't appear to be slowing down just waiting, Hasek doesn't really have a lot of room for error reputation or not. He's 42, soon to be 43. He's gotta prove that isn't the issue otherwise Osgood should be starting. If he can and he can bring his A-game to the playoffs, I'm all for it, but I just hope it's because he's truly the best goalie going in and not because he's Dominek Hasek.

Also, if Hasek doesn't step it up quickly, I would hope Babcock keeps an equal rotation going throughout the rest of the season so both goaltenders stay sharp and get time to definitively stake their claim to the starting role come playoff time. Even though I've never been much of a Hasek fan, I still want the best goalie between the pipes come playoff time nomatter who it is. Osgood will most assuredly get his chance next year. This year, only time will tell. I just hope they both get their shot as in peak form, both are more than capable. It's a win-win either way...greater of two greats you might say...

Edited by gcom007

No one has said that Hasek gets to play because of his name. No one with the Red Wings, anyway.

Right now is right now. Who knows who will be better, come April? Could be Ozzie, could be Dom. In the meanwhile, shelving Hasek for the foreseeable future, whether it's one game or ten, is just silly. If the team continues to play as well in front of Hasek as they have in front of Ozzie, Dom's just as apt to come back strong (much as the haters hope and pray he fails).

And if he does come back strong, that's a problem ONLY if you happen to be a Hasek-hater.

If Hasek comes strong, good for him, but I doubt he'll be playing better than Ozzie is. The problem I have is Hasek gets to be starter just because he's back. There's no reason why that should be the case. He should have to earn it. That's all I'm saying.

In either case...I don't think Hasek should NEVER play until Ozzie loses, that would be dumb. I mean...no goalie plays every game. I have no problem with Hasek playing in the near future.

Tomorrow should be #1 Leclaire vs. #3 Osgood instead its #1 vs #21

Ah well.. best of luck to all involved tomorrow...

My brotha from anotha motha is looking for a huge game... :D

No one has said that Hasek gets to play because of his name. No one with the Red Wings, anyway.

Right now is right now. Who knows who will be better, come April? Could be Ozzie, could be Dom. In the meanwhile, shelving Hasek for the foreseeable future, whether it's one game or ten, is just silly. If the team continues to play as well in front of Hasek as they have in front of Ozzie, Dom's just as apt to come back strong (much as the haters hope and pray he fails).

And if he does come back strong, that's a problem ONLY if you happen to be a Hasek-hater.

Seeing as I think that in peak form Hasek is capable of being a better goalie, I hope that he plays well enough to be the clear starter. That is said despite the fact that I don't really like him much as a person or player. I still want the best guy to be in net.

Unfortunately, despite your statement, I think that everyone is aware that there might exist a problem should Hasek be relegated to backup duties. It's convenient for you to say there's no pressure attached to the name of "Dominek Hasek" as a strong Hasek fan, but come on...it's ok to be realistic about this. It is what it is.

But again, I agree completely that it's silly to bench him at this point. I don't think Osgood should or will be forgotten about whether Hasek plays well or not, but you've got to give him his shot and sitting around waiting for Osgood to lose is a dumb guage as to when that will happen. And again, this is coming from someone who generally speaking would prefer Osgood as the starter.

If I was to speculate though, and it's merely that, I'd have to say that I don't think Hasek is going to pick it up the way he'll need to. Something about him this year just feels off. It's more than just an injury or a slow start. For some reason, just watching him so far, something just doesn't feel right. Again, I can't reiterate that this is speculation enough, but I get this vibe from watching him that he's trying to convince himself he can still do it and still has the drive to be "The Dominator" when in reality it's just not as strong as it once was. I'm not saying it's dead or that he doesn't care, I just think he may be trying to convince himself as much as anyone else. Heaven knows, but before Osgood got rolling and before any talks of injury or slow starts, even in the preseason, something felt off to me about Dom. I guess we'll see, but I just wouldn't be shocked to see him be the backup before it's over if or if little injuries still plague him, I think he'll humbly retire.

Heaven knows though...those are just my random musings on the matter. As said, I hope he plays up to his name because when he does, like him or not, he gives us the best shot to win. I'lll be rooting for him, but I can't say I have high hopes.

Tomorrow should be #1 Leclaire vs. #3 Osgood instead its #1 vs #21

Ah well.. best of luck to all involved tomorrow...

My brotha from anotha motha is looking for a huge game... :D

That's true...I was kinda hoping for this matchup for Osgood for that reason alone. I would've let Hasek iron out the kinks against the weaker Nashville team and gave Osgood Columbus if Hasek were to play in one of the two. Seeing as this is our first meeting against Leclaire and the new and improved Blue Jackets, I would want the guy who's playing best in net. It's something for Hasek to get fired up for, but none the less.....Hopefully we'll put so many through Leclaire that Osgood's stats will look better by the end of the game whether he plays or not!

#30 will not hang in the rafters, I'm sorry. No one likes Oz more than I do, but they guy has benefited quite a bit fromt he teams he has been on. He was never the weak point, but he was also never the game changer. Sure you can point to a few saves that changed games, but when can you say Osgood stole a series like say Kiprusoff did against the wings a few years back.

With that said, I said before the season that I would have liked to have seen an Osgood/Howard combo rather than Dom. Yeah he is all world when he is on, but he isnt always on

...uh, he has never stole a series? Let's see, 1998, Dallas, Jamie Langenbruner just scored in OT with a clearing shot from the center ice! HUGE momentumn swing, how does Osgood respond? Does he slam his stick, does he lose confidence? Nope, comes back the next game and shuts them out, STEALING the momentum back from the Stars, thus reclaiming the series that with one shot tilted heavily in their favor...

Thanks loo !

Here's some trivia that will impress your hockey fan buddies. Osgood hasn't lost in regulation in 20 games (15-0-5) dating back to last season, the longest active streak in the NHL, and the longest since 1996 when who else -- Osgood -- went 19-0-2 for a 21-game streak.

COOL !

Osgood HAS to be a future Hall Of Famer. If they are even debating Lindros, then Osgood gets a direct route.

Depends how high Osgood goes up the wins column, but IMO Osgood will always be remembered as the guy who won a whole lot of games with the best team of the late 90s and early 2000s. Look at the other elite goalies of our era: Marty with New Jersey, Roy with Montreal and Colorado, Dom with Buffalo... these guys are synonymous with netminding in those locations during their runs... They were indisputably the #1. They are guys who were present for all the success and who were (and will be in Marty's case) unreplaceable in net after their departure. Unfortunately for Osgood, he is replaceable and has proven to be on 3 occasions (he has lost starting jobs to Vernon and Legacy, and we got Dom because of our early exits with Osgood). Osgood is a good goalie, but Detroit has always been a town that pads a goalie's regular season resume regardless of who is in net. Think about how many hall-of-fame defensemen Osgood has had in front of him. Murphy, Coffey, Lidstrom, Chelios, Fetisov... as well as 3 Selke trophy winners (Yzerman, Draper, Federov). It's hard to rack up losses when you're only facing 15-20 shots per game and the opposing goalie is facing 30-40. That's why no matter who we've had in net over the past 14-15 yrs, they've racked up the wins...Hasek, Osgood, Vernon, Legacy, Cujo...

People always point to Osgood's seasons with St. Louis and the Islanders as proof he's a top goalie without the wings... but Garth Snow had a winning record in 2001-2002 too, and was 1 game below .500 in 2002-2003 with the same Islanders teams... and Snow was always a lowsy player. So I think the NY Islanders have been wrongfully panned as a place void of tallent during Osgood's stay. Last year Legacy had a winning record with St. Louis, and Osgood was playing with a St. Louis team still capable of getting to the playoffs (unlike Legacy). So don't think the hall of fame is going to look at that as a sign of hall worthy goaltending.

I know I'm coming off like I'm attacking Osgood, but I'm just trying to offset the natural bias most of us have as Wings fans. My opinion isn't a popular one in Detroit, but i'd bet that it's the more prevolent one around the league. Osgood has been great, but he will always be overshadowed by the fact that the team has continually used Osgood as a second option as opposed to our first. IMO Osgood will always be Detroit's Ringo Starr, a tallent in his own right, but destined to be outshined by the guys playing in front of him.

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild

...uh, he has never stole a series? Let's see, 1998, Dallas, Jamie Langenbruner just scored in OT with a clearing shot from the center ice! HUGE momentumn swing, how does Osgood respond? Does he slam his stick, does he lose confidence? Nope, comes back the next game and shuts them out, STEALING the momentum back from the Stars, thus reclaiming the series that with one shot tilted heavily in their favor...

And if anyone begs to differ.. Queue up Lids Series changing long puck on Cloutier... Clouts didn't respond and thus ended their run in the subsequent games.

Edited by OsGOD

I hope that Ozzie gets the starting nod. He has looked good because he is playing everyday. That seems to be when Ozzie is his best. Though I am a huge Osgood fan, we should see once Hasek comes back, and reevaluate who is more valuable in everyday playing time