Photo
- - - - -

Eric Lindros, bust or biggest bust ever?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

GP:760
G:372
A:493
P:865
PIM:1398

That is the stat line of Eric Lindros. He never did live up to the hype, or potential. Never won a Cup, only had one finals appearance. Never played a full 82 game season. 8 out of 13 seasons, he was an All-Star. He averaged 1.14 PPG.

Hall of Fame worthy?

I don't think so.

#2 Agalloch

Agalloch

1st Line Sniper

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

Um, he's not a bust at all. It'sf****** ridiculous to call him a bust in the slightest bit. He was one of the most dominant power forwards in the game in his prime, and definitely lived up to all of his potential.

Then the injuries/concussions came.

#3 redmathew

redmathew

Stuck in vancouver with the bandwagon fans

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

HOF never

Bust, no way. well maybe for every team other then philly

He might get his number in the rafters, but thats only if clarke leaves.

#4 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

Any GM would kill to get the kind of production out of a #1 pick that Lindros provided. Especially the one that drafted Alexandre Daigle.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#5 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

Bobby Clarke actually gives his vote to Eric for the Hall....surprised the hell out of me.

Anyone who calls Lindros a bust is out of their mind. The guy lived up to his potential/hype, no doubt about that. Problem is that he couldn't maintain it.

No one will question whether he had HOF ability, the only thing holding him back is the fact that he didn't have longevity.

For the record, I don't think he'll get in and in a perfect world I would say he doesn't deserve to get in, however, there is no reason Cam Neely should be in over Lindros.

#6 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:18 PM

Cam Neely's in the Hall of Fame and Eric Lindros will be, too.

#7 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

QUOTE(Agalloch @ November 7, 2007 - 09:03PM) View Post

Um, he's not a bust at all. It'sf****** ridiculous to call him a bust in the slightest bit. He was one of the most dominant power forwards in the game in his prime, and definitely lived up to all of his potential.

Then the injuries/concussions came.

clap.gif
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#8 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

1992-Jun-30 Traded from Quebec Nordiques to Philadelphia Flyers for Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, future considerations, round 1 pick in the 1994 draft, round 1 pick in the 1993 draft and cash.

15 years later would you have suggested that this guy is likely not going to the HOF?

#9 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

1992-Jun-30 Traded from Quebec Nordiques to Philadelphia Flyers for Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, future considerations, round 1 pick in the 1994 draft, round 1 pick in the 1993 draft and cash.

15 years later would you have suggested that this guy is likely not going to the HOF?

#10 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

Philadelphia Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

He was not a bust? He never won anything. He never scored 50, and had 1 100+ point season.

Yeah, he did have a few good years. He did have a pretty solid PPG output. However, he didn't live up to his potential, therefore is a bust.

Edited by BringHomeTheCup!, 07 November 2007 - 09:26 PM.

#11 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(BringHomeTheCup! @ November 7, 2007 - 06:20PM) View Post

Yeah, he did have a few good years. He did have a pretty solid PPG output. However, he didn't live up to his potential, therefore is a bust.

OK, then. What should he have done to not be a bust?

Of all the players selected #1 overall (or highest forward selected in case of goalie) since 1980, only 5 have outscored him: Dale Hawerchuk, Mario Lemieux, Pierre Turgeon, Mike Modano, Mats Sundin. Lindros' "pretty solid" PPG numbers are better than all but Hawerchuk and Mario, and that includes such "non-busts" as Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, and Ilya Kovalchuk.

In his prime, Lindros was absolutely the premiere power forward in the league. He was anything but a bust. We forget how he was in the '90s because the eight or nine concussions derailed his career and he didn't play at that high level in this decade. Even then he was a big threat.

Bust? Ridiculous.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#12 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(BringHomeTheCup! @ November 7, 2007 - 09:20PM) View Post

He was not a bust? He never won anything. He never scored 50, and had 1 100+ point season.

A few good years? Do you realize that his first 5 years in the league were right up there with the greats? He wasn't able to play a full season in those 5 years, but had the gpg and ppg during those years to have 50 goals and 100 points for those 5 straight years.

Actually, if he had of been able to play 82 games a year, his first 8 years would have averaged out to 49 goals, 111 points. I realize that this is based on the per game totals he put up and he wasn't able to play all the games, but that shouldn't diminish what he actually did accomplish.

I buy the argument that he didn't do enough to get into the HOF, but to say he is a bust is silly in my opinion.

#13 HomeNugget

HomeNugget

It's the Bishop!

• Gold Booster
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:46 PM

i think some people are unclear on what makes someone a bust. 13 seasons and a 1.14 PPG average doesn't make a player a bust.

#14 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:54 PM

Perhaps not a bust, but definitely not a HoFer.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#15 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

Here is the thing. He was great, for a few years. So what? He wasn't able to maintain it. And that is the bottom line. Without his name on the Cup, he needed to do more than just be good in the regular season for a few years.

We aren't talking about first overall picks here. He is just a bust. Plain and simple. He was never the player he could have been. Yes, injuries played a large roll in that, but why should that make any difference?

I could have taken my career to the next level, but a shoulder injury prevented that. Should I get any credit? No. Why? Because it didn't happen.

Lindros never won anything. He was never lead the league in points, goals, or assits (yes, once he did tie for points, but Jagr scored more goals, so by default, the award was given to him) and he has only twice finished in the top 10 in points.

What about him says HOF? Nothing.

He never did anything he was supposed to do. He never dominated the league. He was a bust.

#16 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:58 PM

Lindros was a good player. But he doesn't belong in the HOF.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#17 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(BringHomeTheCup! @ November 7, 2007 - 09:57PM) View Post

Here is the thing. He was great, for a few years. So what? He wasn't able to maintain it. And that is the bottom line. Without his name on the Cup, he needed to do more than just be good in the regular season for a few years.

We aren't talking about first overall picks here. He is just a bust. Plain and simple. He was never the player he could have been. Yes, injuries played a large roll in that, but why should that make any difference?

I could have taken my career to the next level, but a shoulder injury prevented that. Should I get any credit? No. Why? Because it didn't happen.

Lindros never won anything. He was never lead the league in points, goals, or assits (yes, once he did tie for points, but Jagr scored more goals, so by default, the award was given to him) and he has only twice finished in the top 10 in points.

What about him says HOF? Nothing.

He never did anything he was supposed to do. He never dominated the league. He was a bust.

I don't think there's another person on this planet I find more wrong about stuff than you.

HOF, I don't think so. Bust? This is a semantic argument now. His PPG are better than just about everybody you could compare him to. Guys like Thornton, etc, none of those guys have their names on thef****** cup either so quit calling him a bust for not winning one. Was Ernie Banks a friggin bust of a player cause he never won a World Series. Was Steve Yzerman a bust prior to 1997?

When you score over 800 points in the NHL in as few games as he played, that's not a bust. Look up his PPG against history, BAM! He's up there amongst the greatest to ever play the game.

No, he shouldn't get to use injuries as a crutch to get into the Hall. But he sure as hell can use the injury excuse against being called a bust. Getting hurt doesn't make you a bust. It makes you unfortunate or unlucky. Alex Daigle was a bust. Eric Lindros was a star whose time was cut short due to injury. How you call him a bust is absurd.
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#18 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

I don't think too many busts won Hart Trophies.

A bust, to me, is a player who comes in with great hype and never reaches it, and struggles to even come close to his potential.

Eric Lindros achieved his potential, albeit not for long. He won a Hart Trophy, he was the most dominating player in the world for about five years or so. That's nothing to scoff at. Perhaps with ten years removed from that time, people have forgotten what kind of a force Lindros was.

Eric Lindros averaged 0.6 goals per game. The ONLY players who averaged more are named Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Brett Hull. When you are in that kind of company, a bust you are not.

Eric Lindros lived up to every word of the hype. He was like nobody had seen before. However, because he couldn't keep his head up, he couldn't maintain it.

#19 johnnyoski

johnnyoski

Red Wing-Parrothead

• Silver Booster
  • 504 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

Agree...definitely not a bust but I don't think he deserves to be in the HOF.
His old Philly linemate John LeClair would get my vote before Big E.

#20 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ November 7, 2007 - 11:11PM) View Post

Agree...definitely not a bust but I don't think he deserves to be in the HOF.
His old Philly linemate John LeClair would get my vote before Big E.

Who was a floundering 2nd/3rd line scorer until he started riding Eric's coattails.