• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lnvincible

Hossa.

Rate this topic

Guest lnvincible

"POTENTIAL DESTINATIONS FOR HOSSA.

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson recently commented on Marian Hossa's contract situation with the Atlanta Thrashers, noting potential trade destinations if he's unable to come to terms with the club on an extension. Matheson cites San Jose, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Boston, Carolina, Detroit and Minnesota, with the commonality being available cap space to absorb his contract. "

Interesting..

Spector also commented on this rumor. In his eyes - and Spector is a pretty knowledgeable hockey blogger - the only teams who would really be in the running for Hossa would be Detroit and Colorado.

The Penguins, Wild and Hurricanes do have lots of cap space, but they've set their cap ceiling lower than the league's and are reportedly unwilling to go above it. The Bruins would have to send significant salary the other way and he seems to suggest Glen Murray as he only has one year left on his contract, but he's also aging and his performance has been in decline for some time now. San Jose appears more concerned about their blueline. That leaves Colorado and Detroit who might be interested by the deadline.

IMO, IF the Pens make the playoffs, they're pressing need will be an experienced goaltender. The Canes are deep as hell up front and need to address defense - particularly a puckmover more than anything, plus they're an inter-divisional rival of the Thrashers. The Avs dont make sense to me because they're big need is better goaltending, and after that a physical defenseman (at least this is what their fans say) and theres simply not enough minutes to go around for all their forward depth. The Bs dont have the cap space apparently.

In my mind, that leaves the Wild, the Sharks, and the Wings. Of those teams Id say the Wings have the least opportunity to land Hossa. I dont see Holland offering up what it would take to get Hossa, and the only way the Wings have the cap space to retain him next year would be if Nick Lidstom takes a significant paycut or we send big salary back the other way.

IMO, if the Wings want to get Hossa, they have to trade long-term salary. That means STARTING with Niklas Kronwall, and probably throwing in Filppula/Hudler/1st to boot, maybe even in conjunction with Samuelsson. 3 of those guys might be able to get Hossa AND Exelby coming back the other way. But the ONLY way we give up that much for Hossa is if we KNOW hes going to re-sign with the Wings.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

The Wings prospect well is running very dry. They simpily don't have the resources to give up for someone like Hossa.

The only trade I can forsee would be something like Kronwall, Filppula, Kindl, 1st round pick, and a few other lower round draft picks for Hossa straight up. That's way too much to give up for an unmotivated, soft, overpaid player like Hossa. I really don't care for the guy that much, especially considering his constant lack of motivation in the playoffs.

If he can't find some way to motivate himself into playing good when it counts, than I really can't see why it would be worth trading 3/4 good prospects, draft picks, and than have to give a huge contract after all that. If he was playing better this season, I might be a little more in favor of him, but Hossa has simpily blew all season long. It's basically a one-man show in Atlanta with Kovalchuk, and not a 1-2 punch like it should be. Really, if possible, I'd like to focus on someone like Kovalchuk, even though that's not really a good possibility.

These are all just rumors right now anyways. A trade of this magintude won't happen until near the trade deadline, and that's only if Atlanta is truely out of the race.

if they would take a crap load of our prospects i wouldnt say i would care that much, Hossa would be great to nab..

Sammy/Hudler/1st,2nd This Year/1st,3rd Next year/

maybe even add 1 of our promising upcoming defencment also..we want a cup, this will pretty much solidify that cup.

Id say that would be hard to pass up.. for a team who will loose the player after this year anyway.

Guest lnvincible

if they would take a crap load of our prospects i wouldnt say i would care that much, Hossa would be great to nab..

Sammy/Hudler/1st,2nd This Year/1st,3rd Next year/

maybe even add 1 of our promising upcoming defencment also..we want a cup, this will pretty much solidify that cup.

Id say that would be hard to pass up.. for a team who will loose the player after this year anyway.

Thats incredibly over offering. I wouldnt trade sammy to be honest. Hudler 1st and 1st for next year would be worth it in my mind maybe not even that...

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Thats incredibly over offering. I wouldnt trade sammy to be honest. Hudler 1st and 1st for next year would be worth it in my mind maybe not even that...

if thats all your willing to offer, some other team will ****** him up. Always can get him as a freeagent but seeing as Rolston will likely come here if not minnisota that dosent look like to much of a possiblity.

yah it was quite an over offer, but Hossa is a beast, and if we can snag him, we would have 2 great scoring lines.. id do whatever it takes draft pick/prospect whise to get him, and throw in either huds or sammi. i didnt mean both.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

to be honest,..given what it's going to cost to aquire him (remember this team gave up the farm to get tkachunky so they're going to want it back) i'd rather have rolston.

Than your going to have to wait for FA season. Minnisota isn't shopping him unless they go ice cold.

Marleau for Hossa would be a good deal...Kovalchuk gets a respectable center to play with, SJ gets a RW to replace ineffective Cheechoo on the top line.

San Jose doesn't have anyone to replace Marleau on the second line, and Atlanta would have exactly three wingers who belong anywhere near a scoring line after that deal. I think it would look more like this:

To San Jose:

RW Hossa

C White

To Atlanta:

C Marleau

RW Pavelski

Atlanta gives up Hossa, easily the best player in the deal, as well as White, giving San Jose a solid two-way second-line center. Marleau gives Atlanta that speedy first-line pivot they have wanted to put with Kovalchuk, and Pavelski is a skilled youth that helps even it out; Atlanta is giving up the best player in the deal and a solid throw-in.

Marleau for Hossa would be a good deal...Kovalchuk gets a respectable center to play with, SJ gets a RW to replace ineffective Cheechoo on the top line.

How's that a good deal? San Jose gets one of the 10 best players in the world, while Atlanta gets a notorious playoff choker. Last time I checked, Kovalchuk doesn't need a center to put up numbers.

How's that a good deal? San Jose gets one of the 10 best players in the world, while Atlanta gets a notorious playoff choker. Last time I checked, Kovalchuk doesn't need a center to put up numbers.
You're calling Marleau a "notorious playoff choker"? You need to read up a bit, my friend.

Why do I need to read up? I've seen Marleau disappear many times in the playoffs, most recently in our series against the Sharks last year.
Yeah, he choked last season. But before that...

01-02 playoffs: 11 pts in 12 games

03-04 playoffs: 12 pts in 17 games

05-06 playoffs: 14 pts in 11 games

37 pts in 40 games (0.925 PPG). Pretty good numbers for a notorious choker.

Edited by Systemfel

Yeah, he choked last season. But before that...

01-02 playoffs: 11 pts in 12 games

03-04 playoffs: 12 pts in 17 games

05-06 playoffs: 14 pts in 11 games

37 pts in 40 games (0.925 PPG). Pretty good numbers for a notorious choker.

Yeah, and in each series where they were eliminated, he did nothing. Those numbers came from the 1st round of the playoffs usually. Pretty easy to pad your stats against Nashville and St. Louis. He's not a guy that goes down with guns blazing like you want your elite players to do.

I think Hossa will stay a thrashed the rest of the year.

Atlanta will want to much for this rental player. And wont suck up there pride and take whatever they can get from a player who wont stay.

Hossa will just post up great numbers for the thrashers, then leave for FA. and get mondo cash.

I think Hossa will stay a thrashed the rest of the year.

Atlanta will want to much for this rental player. And wont suck up there pride and take whatever they can get from a player who wont stay.

Hossa will just post up great numbers for the thrashers, then leave for FA. and get mondo cash.

Or not. The thrashers will take whatever they can get for him come playoff deadline if he isnt signed. They have just as much of a chance to sign him back as anyone else if he chooses to become a UFA.

Or not. The thrashers will take whatever they can get for him come playoff deadline if he isnt signed. They have just as much of a chance to sign him back as anyone else if he chooses to become a UFA.

Not really. It's been reported that the Thrashers are one of the worst financial teams in the league. The ownership is also strict on a lower, self imposed salary cap. If Hossa plays the situation like his predecessors did before him, he is going to use those players high contracts as a benchmark for his signing. I like to think of Briere in this situation. If Briere can earn 10 million a season, I don't see what's stopping Hossa from that.

Atlanta is a small market team. The salary cap, while it was meant to help small market teams, really hasn't. Hossa will seek out top dollar wherever he can get it. And unless Atlanta starts making money, or raises it's self-imposed salary cap, they're not going to be able to re-sign him. Hossa's most probable location would be a be big market team with plenty of spending room, though it's really hard to say who that would be. If Toronto finds a way to dump their dead weight players (McCabe, Kubina), they might be the guys to make an offer.

The Wings might be able to meet Hossa's possible demands come free agency (if he's available), but it would pose a huge problem. You throw in Datsyuk's salary, Zetterberg's raise when he get's re-signed (I doubt he'll take that much of a hometown discount), and Hossa's salary, and this team is looking awfully similar to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Three hugh contracts, followed by scrub players on every other line.

I don't think Hossa is worth the hassle. He is a great hockey player, but the Wings won't have the cap space to address the rest of the teams needs. This isn't baseball, or the pre-lockout NHL. Teams can't spend like they could before, and it's unfortunate. But, that's the way it is.

To be honest, I personally think we should keep the players we have. They all contribute well and diligently. Another reason for my thinking on this is that, unlike most teams and coaches, Babcock takes each players talent and contributes that to the line they play in. We have a solid team (despite our losing streak, which, hopefully will be broken at tonight's game). We do not need Hossa and we do not need to trade Hudler or any other player. We have what it takes to keep being the best.

I think that Holland is way to smart to give too much for Hossa. Were In first place and i'm not so sure that Hossa would help all that much. He is a threat when he's on the ice but chemistry means alot. If he's cheap kenny will land him, if not, and if Montreal is the playoffs near the deadline thats where I think his new home will be.

To be honest, I personally think we should keep the players we have. They all contribute well and diligently. Another reason for my thinking on this is that, unlike most teams and coaches, Babcock takes each players talent and contributes that to the line they play in. We have a solid team (despite our losing streak, which, hopefully will be broken at tonight's game). We do not need Hossa and we do not need to trade Hudler or any other player. We have what it takes to keep being the best.

We have what it takes to keep being the best in the regular season. We lack certain qualities in the playoffs. Hossa has most of them.